A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern Trouble - Simplicity 4230 Jackets  (Read 454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffypinkthings
« on: September 24, 2006 02:55:18 PM »

Has any one tried this pattern? And if so did you encounter any problems?
I tried to make view B this week t0 go with a cute skirt that I made. Anyway, I'm in UK and pattern size is in US.
I checked out my measurements. Now in UK i'm a size 10 which is a US 6 (ish!) According to this patern am a size 12 - American size 12?! 3 whole siezes bigger than I am. Anyway I though best to cut that too big instead of too small cos I can always cut it smaller once I've tried it the first time. SO I cut it and made it to the 12 and it's HUGE on me. My waist size is roughly 26" and thats what I followed.
 Also, is it me or  Simplicity Patterns_? not so Simple to follow? I've never used Simplicity before but used loads of other makes and I've never been so confused by a pattern in my life!!
All other patterns that I've followed using my sizes against theirs have come out perfect!
Sorry for the long post but - GRRRR!
Any one else suffering with not-so-simplicity?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006 03:06:14 PM »

I checked out my measurements. Now in UK i'm a size 10 which is a US 6 (ish!) According to this patern am a size 12 - American size 12?! 3 whole siezes bigger than I am.

I haven't tried making a jacket yet...they're pretty complicated. But one thing I learned in my sewing class is that pattern sizing is your actual size (also called industry size) as opposed to what you buy in the store which is called vanity size. I also learned that if you follow the pattern exactly it usually doesn't fit. For something as complex as a jacket you are better off taking you measurements and tweaking it as you go. Sorry you had such a hard time with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006 08:44:41 PM »

For dresses and tops, it is best to choose a pattern size based on your bust measurement - your high bust if you are larger than a B cup, your full bust otherwise. This should give the best fit in the shoulder and upper chest, and it is easier to alter at the waist and hip.  You can also compare the actual garment measurements to the body measurements to see how much ease a pattern has. Simplicity 4230 has 4 inches of bust ease (the actual pattern measurements are listed at the bottom of the back of the envelope) - you may have a different amount of desired ease (in this case, probably less). If the finished garment measurements aren't listed, you can measure the pattern pieces yourself to be sure it will be the size that you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006 05:48:51 AM »

I've made that one twice (once massive alterations and the other straight from the package).  I found that this pattern ran big on me too.  I normally fall in the size 10 pattern range and had to go down to an 8.  I wanted a tighter fitting jacket (like the kind the model is wearing) and that was the only way to achieve that look.

Here's my blog entry about the jacket:
http://www.stacysews.com/projects/simplicity_4230_in_k_designs_jacket/

(and if you're interested in seeing how I completely changed the look):
http://www.stacysews.com/projects/anthropologie_jacket_knockoff/

What part of the pattern is confusing you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypinkthings
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006 03:01:26 PM »

Thanks for the response guys. I had a look at your blog and your jacket looks fab! Just how I wanted mine to look! Mine on the other hand Is a load of poo and will never see the outside world!
I found that this pattern was more than one size too big though, more like 3 sizes too big!
I did take the jacket in so its a better fit, but it's just still a bit minging on me really!
If anyone from the Uk watches Emmerdale - it looks like something Viv Windsor would wear! Shocked
Anyway, I'm going to cut the pattern smaller and try again with some nicer fabric.
If the next one turns out alright, I will post pics.
As for the instructions, I don't know what the problem is really, I just can't seem to follow them without losing my mind!
I've never had that kind of problem with other patterns before. Must just need more sleep or something!
Once again, thanks. Everyone is always so friendly and helpful on here!!
xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006 06:21:12 PM »

I made the short sleeved version of this jacket for my daughter.  It turned out well. 

One thing to keep in mind is that 1...Simplicity is generous with their ease although you can't count on that.   2...jackets generally have more ease because they are made to go over other clothing, eventhough they may be shown without anything underneath.  The fit on the envelope doesn't necessarly show the actual fit of the garment.  The pattern companies frequently pin the back of the garments they display to make them fit better...I had this conversation with a customer service agent from Simplicity when I found out they had put 8 inches of extra ease in a pattern's waist!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffypinkthings
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006 03:06:00 AM »

8 inches? WOW! That's ridiculous. That would make such a difference to whatever you make!
I definately prefer other patterns that I have used to Simplicity, just don't reckon they're that great! (Could be me though, as I'm hardly sewer of the year!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006 05:35:58 AM »

I think that simplicity runs big most of the time (i.e. lots of ease)!  I made the Duro dress and wound up going down several sizes becasue there was so much ease in it.  Although, McCall and Butteric aren't much better, either.  I just make sure I check the finished garment measurements before I cut.

I had no idea about the pattern companies pinning for their catalog and cover photos.  No fair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Art of Elicitation
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Sparrow School
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About Surveillance
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews Talks About Enemies
Adam Grant Shares The Secrets Of Success
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...