A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
843 Guests and 50 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first pictures on craftster....  (Read 2954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2004 12:37:23 PM »

Ok, I donīt know if this is gonna work, but Iīm trying to show some pics of a stumpwork beetle that I did last weekend. Its the great diving beetle from Jane Nicholasīlatest book (although the wings arenīt the nature-accurate shade of green). It came out ok but its headīs a little small. Iīll keep working on it.
OOPS, hereīs the photobucket pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/wherethewild/CIMG0129.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/wherethewild/CIMG0131.jpg
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011 02:18:39 PM by kittykill - Reason: Broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004 12:51:14 PM »

Shutterfly doesn't allow direct linking.  You might want to try photobucket.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PollyEsther
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004 05:20:08 AM »

oooh! That is really cool! Where did you learn stumpwork, btw? I'm fascinated by it, but I can't find a good reference to learn it from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merwing

Push the button Frank.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004 06:10:46 AM »

That is awesome! I'd love to see more of your stumpwork. I've never seen anything like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004 06:57:58 AM »

Thats amazing - I am not familiar with stumpwork.  That thing is cool and creepy-crawlie at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
marnewein
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004 07:41:46 AM »

Wow, I love it!  Stumpwork eh?  I have never seen it anything like this before.  I am going to have to try and find time to research on how to do this.  How long did it take for you to complete this little guy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wherethewild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004 12:15:26 PM »

Stumpwork is a rasied embroidery technique which was popular in the late 17th century in England (see http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/infocus/raisedwork.html for an example). There is another riased technique called Brazilian, which uses slightly different stitches.

Jane Nicholas has some absolutely stunning books, but instructions are difficult if you arenīt already an adept embroider. A number of different shops sell kits, which isnīt a bad way to start. There are probably places online with basic instructions, but I havenīt looked, and another place is the Australian embroidery magazine Inspirations (every issue usually has a stumpwork project).

What I did for the wings on this was very easy (there are numerous other methods though, each with a very different look). I couched a very thin wire onto a piece of ribbed ribbon using blanket stitch and then went around the inside in chain stitch (not required, just decorative). Then just cut it all out of the ribbon and your wings are fixed. Make sure at the top end that both ends of the wire hang out so you can stick them through the fabric (where you have already stitched the body using satin stitch over several layers of felt. Secure the wires at the back and there you have it!

As merwing asked, Iīll stroke my own ego and add a couple more photos here. The first is just a little bunch of berries (my very first stumpwork piece) and the second is a pice of goldwork encorporating stumpwork techniques as well as goldwork ones.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiftyftqueenie
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004 01:35:15 PM »

that is awesome. if that were on me i'd probably swat at it every time i saw it, it looks real.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004 08:47:41 AM »

awesome, where do you get your goldwork supplies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
wherethewild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004 02:39:07 PM »

Most of the supplies Iīve picked up in bits and pieces here and there Smiley. Some is from Lacis in Berkeley CA, some from Stitch 2003 in London, some from Golden Threads in England (ordered online - very helpful and friendly staff), some from Lincraft in Australia.

Really cheap imitation metal threads (sadi and purl threads) can be bought from Rajmahal in Australia (http://www.rajmahal.com.au/) (they also have really nice art silk). These are not quite as nice as the real stuff but theyīre a damn sight cheaper!!  Grin Another Aussie shop http://www.threads.net.au/ sells all the coloured pearl purls you could want, as well as Jap gold and leather. Nice stuff, a bit pricier though (however donīt forget that theyīre in $AUS not $US)! A canadian embroiderer also sells goldwork kits and supplies http://www.berlinembroidery.com/.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing The Right Sunglasses For Your Face Shape
Rules Of Thumb For Hair Color
The Most Fashionable Raincoat
Style Tricks To Slimming Arms
The Must-Have Colors For Your Summer Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...