A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Runway Craftalong?  (Read 15272 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IzzyBella

Drag it out of the trash... and make it beautiful

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2006 10:20:36 AM »

I didn't see this in the forum, and I think this is the most appropriate forum for this idea, so:

After a period of flatness and depression, I was trying to figure a way out of my rut.  One night, half-asleep, it dawned on me - why not do my own versions of this season's Project Runway Challenges?  Of course, being flat broke, I would have to use materials I've already got lying around, or things that I could pick up at thrift stores for very cheap, but that's half the fun, really.  And since I don't have two days straight for nothing but sewing, it'd have to be done in bits and pieces over the course of a week or so.  Then I realized that it would be even more fun if other people were doing it too.  And where do people love Project Runway, crafting, and challenges?  Why, on Craftster, of course!

So, would anyone else like to join the Project Runway craftalong?  I figure that we do one challenge a week until the very end - not sure what to do about the whole "collection" yet.  No one gets kicked off Fashion Island, and there are no judges - it's just to see how creative we can be.  Time and financial limits are imposed by the fact that few of us are rich and most of us have lives.  Adherence to the rules is done purely on the honor system. 

Anyone want to play along?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Project Runway Craftalong!  CLICK HERE!  Now with no deadlines!

Your girl finally got her Etsy
sexy_penguin_
Progress will be the downfall of mankind.

oh so special.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006 10:39:31 AM »

this sounds like a GREAT plan to me! I LOVE project runway (an yone else rooting for Michael?) and have considered many times creating my own versions of the many challenges on Project Runway. I'm game for this- I'm thinking the challenges will be posted on Wednesday night, and then everyone would have the whole week to work on it, we'd post pictures teusday and maybe even award a "winner" (without auf'ing anyone) and then get the next challenge on wednesday and so on...

This is a great idea, it could be a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just blame it on the laser rain http://www.myspace.com/oooreo839
http://www.xanga.com/jetadorexcore
---
don't ever get stuck in the sky when you're high.
mollyknits
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006 01:47:45 PM »

GREAT idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IzzyBella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006 01:29:15 PM »

Here's a more detailed rules rundown - let me know if you agree/disagree/despise anything:

*The challenges will be done in chronological order, from first to last, taken entirely from Season Three of Project Runway.

*Challenges will be posted on Wednesday.  You may begin posting pictures of your completed garments on the following Monday.  Pictures must be posted by midnight on Wednesday.  Please post at least one picture of your supplies as well as one picture of your completed garment.

*Because this is Craftster, and not Sewster, you may use any crafty means at your disposal to complete your garment.  Like to knit or crochet?  Have at thee.  Feel like doing your garment in polymer clay?  Go for it.  As long as it's wearable at the end of it.  Just remember that certain challenges will require you to use very specific materials.

*Because not all of us have access to crepe-backed satin or velvet or other luxe fabrics, you may rip up existing garments and use the fabric for your design.  However, the final garment should be very different from what you started with.  Use your ingenuity.

*Budget restrictions:  Do not cash in your 401k for one garment.  Do not make your children live on ramen for two weeks because you blew your paycheck on fabric or yarn.  If you can afford to blow a thousand dollars on each garment, then bless you.  However, I doubt that any of us will be in that scenario. 

*Time restrictions:  You have about a week to complete and post pictures of your garment.  Please do not skip work or school or shun your family in order to complete your garment.  You can go without sleep for the entire week if that's what you feel you need to do, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

*Because most of us have seen the show, know what the challenges are, and probably have already thought of what we might do under the circumstances, it's all right to do a little planning ahead (sketching, going through your fabric/yarn/craft stash to see what you can use, etc.).  However, please don't cut a single scrap of fabric, draw one line in your pattern, or hook up that yarn until the challenge is actually posted.

*Again, we've all seen the show, and we know what the designers have done.  Replicating one of their garments will lose you massive cool points.  Make it your own.

*There will be no teamwork challenges, because we're probably scattered too far apart to make that happen, and not everyone has crafty friends or family.  Please make your own garments.

*You are responsible for finding/being your own model.  You will also supply your own Tresemme Hair Salon, L'Oreal Paris Makeup Room, and Macy's Accessory Wall.  Needless to say, we're going to be concentrating more on the garments, and not the "overall look."  Although you can always do impressive hair and makeup if you wanna.  That's cool too.

*Feel free to add to the Project Runway ambience in whatever way you can.  Do impressions of your favorite designers and judges.  Add fleurchons to whatever needs it.  Write your own backstage interview.  Find someone to be your roommate.  Just don't make Angela's mom cry!  And if you're pregnant, tell your husband before you tell us.

*Failure to follow the rules will cost you major coolness points.  So be cool.

Anything else?  I still don't know what the "Final Runway Collections" should be.  Also, since Bravo auctions off the designer's garments, I think it's totally fine for people to link to their e-bay auctions for their "season" in their signature.  Just remember the rules about selling things here. 

Shall we start this Wednesday, or next Wednesday?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatJones

Singin' & Craftin' My Brains Out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006 06:45:35 AM »

Ooo... this is fun... I wish I made clothing :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All things essential to the universe are invisible to the eyes." - The Fox

http://theekatjones.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/katjones
http://www.wists.com/katjones
pinkchiffon
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006 01:05:53 PM »

i would love to do this, there are several pr things i would like to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyrnaLoy
Queen of All of the World

I never spoke to warn the Ghost Tart of Stockholm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006 02:11:56 PM »

hmm... interested...

I can't remember what the first challenge was... I'm not destroying my living room though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes please! I'd love to swap ATC's with you.
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006 02:28:22 PM »

Oh this is awesome! I might have to do it even with my poor sewing skills!

Maybe for the first challenge we can just use something that we have in the house that is not part of our fabric stash?  I'm thinking an old sheet or something like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IzzyBella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006 03:02:19 PM »

Old sheets, unused blankets, tea towels, lampshades from the garage...  It's definitely going to be more of a challenge for those of us who don't have the kindly staff of Atlas New York to redecorate once we're done tearing things up.  However, we also don't have to fight sixteen other people for upholster fabric, so that's nice.

Also, remember that Michael used coffee filters and Katherine used (I believe) garbage bags.  So it isn't limited to just furnishings and decorations - you can pretty much use whatever you've got lying around.

Sewing, to me, is a useful skill for this, but not an essential one.  Honestly, if you wanted to construct most of your garments by gluing cotton balls to paper, I think that's fantastic.  You could probably make something incredibly cool with cotton balls and paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicegirl512
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006 11:17:10 AM »

Do you have to commit to doing all the challenges?  I think it would be fun to do some, but I have so many other sewing projects in the queue (some of which should really be completed before the end of the season in which they can be worn!) that I can't commit *all* my sewing time for the next 16 weeks solely to PR! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Recycle Household Items Into Handmade Ornaments
How to Sew a Button By Hand
How to Crochet: Body Positions and Holding Yarn
How to Tie a Decorative Bow
How to Tie a Square Knot Properly
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...