A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 309,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted purse for a fall purse swap and a kinda tut.  (Read 1284 times)
Tags for this thread: purse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 23, 2006 06:08:00 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52476635@N00/250415032/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52476635@N00/250415031/

Ok since this is for a swap for another forum I think I am safe in posting this. I just finished this purse this morning. It was a long time in making. My puppy had gotten into my first purse and chewed up my knitting needles and some of the wool yarn. So I frogged that one and decided to make a crocheted one. I really like it and it even has an unintentional southwest feel. My partner lives in Arizona and I didn't give it the southwest feel on purpose. 

I used a J hook and started Double crocheting in a circle, until I got to the size (for the bottom) I wanted, I messed up since the bottom has some "ruffles" but I think its cute. Then I did straight DC up the sides, switching yarn colors every 2 rows. On the last set of stripes I did a DC in 5 stitches, chained 5, skipped 5 stitches, around so I would have the loops for the strap and tie. Then the next row around I DC in each stitch and the did 5 DC into the chains.  For the tie and strap I just did a chain that was LONG....  I did my stripes in DC in each chain across, each row was a differnt color.  I think my strap ended up being 12 feet long before felting.

I used Patlns classic meriono 100% wool yarn. I felted this using my washing machine. I turned the water to hot wash cold rinse, low setting. added a bit of detergent, a pair of jeans and placed my handle tie into a pillow case, and then the purse into antoher pillow case tossed it into the washer and let her go.  I only did one wash/spin cycle. This felted super fast, usually if I use brown sheep lamb's pride I have to do 3 or 4 cycles to get it to this felted consistancy.   After I took it out of the washer I blocked it kinda and then hung it up to dry for 4 days.  I threaded the tie thru the holes and then cut the strap and sewed it onto my purse body. I tried to needle felt it but I couldn't get it to work, so out came the handy dandy sewing needle.

and Michaels has this yarn on sale this week, ending tonight 9/23/06. it has lots of cool colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glittergirl94
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006 06:11:29 AM »

I used the same yarn for my hats and shoes(posted on this board as well).  Felts beautifully!  And I also bought it at the Michaels sale.  Going back for more today before the sale ends....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006 02:27:31 PM »

Your purse looks really nice. A lot of crocheted felted items I see, the stitches don't ever seem to disappear completely, but your purse looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Petunia0384
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006 08:47:29 PM »

I really like this!  I'm about to make a crochet felted purse myself. Smiley  I love the colors you used and how they look together. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
How to Do an Emo Haircut
Learn how to Care for Haircutting Equipment
Cutting Your Hair at Home
Finishing the Beyoncé Knowles Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...