A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Sewing machine not catching the thread round the bobbin any more!  (Read 469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliengrace
« on: September 23, 2006 04:51:15 AM »

Hello, I got a 1940's singer sewing machine from a friend recently. I wanted it to sew really thick things like leather and corsets.  It's been serviced and oiled and the motor runs like a dream, but after I took it home and fiddled around with getting a jammed thread out, the machine now no longer catches the top thread that goes round the bobbin (well, it does occasionally...).  Hence it doesn't interlock when it sews.  The tension spring with the hook that spins round the bobbin is going around fine, it just doesn't draw the needle thread around the bobbin thread.

Can anyone put me on the right track as to what might be going on?  Could it be the 'timing'?  I am really povvo so I'd rather not take it in for a fix unless I can possibly help it, so any pointers as to what I could do myself, or how finicky it could be would be really amazingly appreciated.  Also, if I know what's wrong and I have to take it in to get it fixed, I can call around for quotes rather than getting the expensive run-around.  Thankyou!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006 06:36:24 AM »

1. Raise your presser foot and rethread your machine.

2. Check your needle and make sure that it is in the correct direction.  I'm not sure what the direction is on your machine so check your manual...it is dependant on the location of your bobbin.

3. Take your bobbin out, look for loose thread around the perimeter, like sticking out of the side, whatever (to prevent future jams). 

4. Make sure your bobbin is facing the correct direction. 

The problem of picking up your thread is probably in the direction of your needle or the direction of your bobbin.  If either is incorrect, the thread cannot meet at the right place/time...timing error.

The problem of the jam is probably in the threading of your machine or a stray end around the area of your bobbin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006 08:53:19 AM »

Thanks for responding paroper Smiley

No no, all those things have been checked and as far as I can tell, they're all fine.  Sad  So it is the timing, and it could possibly be an inherent mechanical maladjustment?  The hook is one that goes completely around, it's pre oscillating bobbins here.  I know those machines get out of timing more easily than the oscillating ones.  Maybe I knocked it when I moved??  I hope it's something simple but at the moment I have no clues.  The thing worked except for a caught thread in the bobbin before I brought it to my house (which I removed at my house).  Besides, the manual I have is a badly scanned online one that doesn't show fine diagram detail nor exactly match in machine features, but as far as I can tell, I'm doing things right.  Damn!!  My modern sewing machine slips on thick fabric and is cramping my style!!  Old singers sew through concrete!  Hmmm. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006 09:13:51 AM »

...and the bobbin thread is in the spring correctly?  I think it is time to take it in then.  It is possible a thread nest can throw the timing off..perhaps it has been a little off all along and it just "finished" the job.  A good cleaning and adjustment sure won't hurt anyway.  They really should be cleaned and adjusted once a year.  I can say that because I rarely have mine cleaned professionally, but truly, that is the best way to keep your machine up and have the least amount of wear. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Finger Wave
How to Get Wavy Curls
How to Do Spiral Curls
How to Do Pin Curls
How to Perm Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...