A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some purses I made {Change purse tutorial added}  (Read 18281 times)
Tags for this thread: movie_monsters , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkSatin
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2004 07:48:52 PM »

Oh my goodness I've searching for the exact same instructions! crafterinShanghai, I'm having the SAME problems youre having!

I would also appreciate your instructions/patterns/tutes KarenHuang!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Local Girl Denise
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2004 12:03:03 PM »

What pattern did you use for the second bag... I have been trying to find one like that for a while now and I havent been able to find anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
KarenHuang

Intermittent crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2004 12:22:11 AM »

This is the pattern I used for the bag with clasp. It came with the clasp I bought.

1. First thing you need to do is to add your own seam allowance to the top. The line without the shaded area. I didn't add this seam allowance and my purse turned out a little flat.

2. I quilted the outer fabric with some batting to give the purse some structure. From this point on the outer fabric + batting is treated as one piece of fabric and will be referred to as the quilted fabric. That means the wrong side of this fabric will in fact be the batting.

2 Cut two pieces of quilted outer fabric and 2 lining fabric using this pattern.
NB: If you are using clasp without holes (like me), your fabric cannot be thick.

This is where my memory gets a bit fuzzy. But I think this is what I did.
3. Pin right side of quilted fabric to right side of lining fabric. Sew along top edge only. Do this twice. I didn't do this next step, but you might want to cut / snip / neaten the edges so that the seams will be quite flat. And then turn both pieces right side out. You should see the bag beginning to form.

4. Then pin the right sides of the two quilted fabric together and sew along bottom edge.

5. Then pin the right sides of the lining fabric together and sew along the bottom. But this time, leave a gap. This is the hole you need to turn the bag right side around.

6. Turn the purse around and press as required. Top stitch along the top edge to flatten that seam.

7. If using claspses without holes, find the centre of the purse and match it to the centre of the clasp (the purse frame). There should be a string provided which you need to stuff into the gap in the frame to keep the fabric part in place. Also use some glue.

8. If using claspses with holes (and I have not used them before) I think you can stitch the fabric bit to the frame. And then what I've seen, is that they use beads to cover up the holes where the stitching is, on the outside of the purse. You can still see the stitching when you open the purse, but that's quite neat.

I hope this is clear. But ask me if you have any questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://snogblog.wordpress.com/

crafterinShanghai
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2004 08:12:44 AM »

Fantastic, Karen! Thanks for that tutorial... I'll give it a try. Unfortunately the frames I got don't have a tutorial nor the string but I think I have some that will do. Yes, I was thinking of stitching some beads on the outer frame to cover up the holes... Thanks a million, again! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candlelight

jewelry & accessories inspired by the candlelight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2004 12:22:03 AM »

I just bought some metal frames with holes too.  Does that mean one has to sew through the fabric and over the metal frame in order to hold the fabric in place?  That would be quite ugly, right?  Please help...

Would Karen also share the pattern for the second bag?  It's gorgeous too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KarenHuang

Intermittent crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2004 01:39:41 AM »

The second pattern is quite complicated, and requires a lot of photos.

I feel quite bad, but I was thinking of selling the tutorial online for a very small sum so that everyone who wants it can have it.

I feel bad because everyone here has been really generous with their tutorials. But I paid a fair bit (in fact, a lot) to learn how to make that bag. And I need to feed my fabric addiction. Tongue

But if I do make that tutorial, I'll need about 5 reviewers with varying levels of sewing experience. They'll get the pattern for free, but they'll have to write a review, give comments on the instructions and suggestions about pricing. So anyone who's interested can send a craftster message to me.

Does anyone know when when I reply to people on craftster, they don't reply back? Could it be that they don't get the message?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafterinShanghai
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2004 03:40:49 AM »

Karen, I can feed off your fabric addiction with some fabrics that I can mail to you... Just to show you how much putting that tutorial of the purse is very much appreciated. How about that???  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenHuang

Intermittent crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2004 07:39:27 PM »

He he. Thanks! But I suspect it's the buy and choosing that I like. Anyway, you can be one of the reviewers as well and I'll try to make it cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AJS
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2004 08:00:10 PM »

please just post a cost and i will pay. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenHuang

Intermittent crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2004 12:28:36 AM »

Hi AJS, I have posted the tutorial up on my website. It comes with a lot of photos (26!). Check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Reflective Wristbands for Halloween
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Ghost Ornaments from Gauze
How to Make a Halloween Tablecloth
Designing a Quick and Easy Halloween Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...