A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I've royally screwed up! (EDIT: I got it!)  (Read 744 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2006 11:50:30 AM »

(EDIT:  I got it fixed.  It involved a hammer, candle wax, and a metal "pin punch" from the hardware store.  Now I've just got to figure out how to set up the double drive thingy and I'm ready to spin!)

..I think.

See, I ordered a used Ashford Elizabeth on eBay.  When I received it yesterday, the assembly instructions were for an Ashford Traditional, and the only ones I could find online were for the Elizabeth 2.. which is basically the same, but some of the specifics are different.

So, I commence putting it together.. and come to the part where I'm supposed to put the wheel in position, put the crank through it, then put the "hub pin" through the hole in the center of the wheel, through the holes in the crank, and out the other hole on the other side of the wheel.  At this point, I realized that I may have lost the hub pin.  I had a pin, the right length (2"), but it didn't quite fit through the crank.. at least without a hammer.  So I searched the house for literally like 5 hours, even though the wheel had never left my living room since it arrived, and came up empty handed.  Then I placed an order for a hub pin.  BUT I wanted to spin on it so badly, I started thinking, and that can be dangerous.  The instructions said the hub pin was designed to be a "tight fit" and I'd heard that to disassemble the Ashford, you have to hammer the pin out with a nail.  So I decided to see if the mysterious pin that I had would fit if I employed a hammer.  It did.  Sort of.  It's very very tight.. and now it's stuck in there and I'm still not sure it's even the right friggin' pin.  So, I guess my question is.. can anyone tell me if this is the right pin?  And if it isn't, how the heck do I get it out?  Am I going to have to order a new crank too?!

Pics:

Close-up of the pin in question.  That is NOT the crank splitting.. that's a reflection.

The pin in the crank.

EDIT:  A member of the livejournal spinning fiber community has verified that it is the correct pin.  Now I just need to know how to get it out and why it's soooo tight.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006 02:41:51 PM by atla » THIS ROCKS   Logged

atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006 11:51:09 AM »

Aw crud, this was supposed to go in Discussions, not Completed Projects.  Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006 11:53:31 AM »

You can move it easily. Down in the left hand corner there. There's a tab that says "move topic" make sure you tell it not to post a redirection thread or whatever it's called.

I can't help you with your problem though. I'm sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
magnoliacoffee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006 02:53:55 PM »

Hey Atla!  Glad you've gotten your wheel and it sounds like your problems are working out...

I don't have any advice to offer, but I would love to see pics once it's up and running.  Be sure to post some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006 04:05:03 PM »

Now that I'm through panicing, let me brag on the guy I bought it from a little bit.  I bought it used on eBay, and it was shipping from New Zealand, so I was a bit nervous.  The seller I bought it from (rotjoa) said it would take about 2 weeks to arrive, and it only took 4 days!  He had carefully bubblewrapped every part individually, and it was packed extraordinarily well.  He included 5 different bags of wool, 2 whites, a light grey, a dark grey, and a black, and since I've only spun BFL and Merino in the past, this stuff is so sproingy and fun to work with.

Anyway, I've finally got everything worked out and she's performing beautifully!  I was worried that I might not be able to spin thinner yarn until I ordered the hi-speed kit.. completely not true!  I was worried her orifice would be too small for really bulky yarn.. it's much bigger than my Babe's!  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to adjust to single treadle, but it seems that I prefer it over DT.  She's so pretty, pretty, pretty, and so smooth!  I definitely made the right decision. Cheesy

If you go to my flickr photos (link in the sig), there are photos of her before assembly.. wrapped, unwrapped, then assembled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006 05:19:17 PM »

Is it wrong that I started singing baa baa black sheep when I was reading about the wool that came with your wheel? It's a beauty, I'm sure she'll serve you well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Cat Mask
How to Make Halloween Favor Bags
How to Make Color Prints with Potatoes
Fish-Themed Party Activity with Martha Stewart
How to Make a Denim Holster
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...