A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plainly no one in Kansas crafts  (Read 19908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2004 10:25:56 PM »

. . . . but I know that's not true because all my girls and I do! is there anything good in Emporia, KCK, or other surrounding areas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
poppet
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004 07:17:26 AM »

I live in Lawrence. Can you clarify what you  mean by "anything good"? Craft stores? Shops? Bazaars? There's lots going on here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

http://poppetprojects.blogspot.com
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004 11:50:27 AM »

thrift stores, craft stores, diy group-things. lol. I'm not even sure what to ask for because I haven't seen it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

poppet
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004 01:03:58 PM »

In Lawrence, the best thrift store (I shudder to provide this info...but in the spirit of sharing...) is the Social Service League at 9th and Rhode Island. Be prepared to dig, but I get lots of treasures there. The St. Johns Thrift store at 1246 Kentucky is also good. On occasion, you can find good scores at the Salvation Army (1818 Massachusetts) or Goodwill (2200 W 31st). Alas, the DAV closed earlier this year. I found many treasures there...sniff sniff.

For craft supplies: there's a new Michael's here and a Hobby Lobby (closed on Sundays). The Hancocks Fabric has some good fabrics, but the BEST fabric is downtown at Sarah's Fabrics. Across from Sarah's is the Yarn Barn, for knitting/crocheting, etc. There's a new shop opening downtown called Crafty and Co. (I think), so I'm anxious to see what they'll offer.

For classes: The Lawrence Art Center offers great classes. I took a drawing class there once, and my daughter has taken several children's art classes. You can see their catalogue online. Also check out the Lawrence Parks and Rec. class schedule because they usually offer lots of cool classes including sculpture, metalsmithing, weaving, ceramics, etc.

For shopping: downtown (Massachusetts street between 6th and 11th streets) has many art galleries, coffee shops with art shows, and various little shops that offer local arts and crafts for sale (such as the Casbah and The Phoenix Gallery, for example). The best craft show (in my humble opinion) is the Bizarre Bazaar every year at the Art Center, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The Fall Arts and Craft Show is coming up soon (but I'm not sure of the dates yet) and it's always fun. It's outdoors at South Park.

Also, don't forget to check out the Spencer Museum of Art (http://www.ku.edu/~sma/) on campus.

For more listings of events in Lawrence, check out: http://www.lawrence.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004 02:08:58 PM »

well, thank you.

Lawrence is full of cool stuff.

Now if only there was somewhere closer to Emporia . . . or in Lenexa area Kansas City.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004 06:37:34 PM »

Hey you FluffyMonkey!   Grin  Yeah...about the thrift stores.  There's a brand-spankin new Salvation Army off Johnson Dr. in Mission--looks too nice if you ask me.  They had a "grand-opening" last Saturday, but I was already on my way to an evening thing so I didn't stop in.  The neatest/nicest/least picked over ones in our area seem to be in north KCMO.   I did find one thrift store in Emporia, but I bet you already know about it.

Salvation Army - Thrift Store
520 Constitution Street
Emporia, KS  66801

Sar and I found some fabulous stuff in Concordia, KS for dirt cheap (even the vintage stuff, and they had tons of vintage!).  I know it's a long ways away, but if you're ever driving through....  I'm awful with directions, but there is also one in JoCo off Roe (I think?) in Prairie Village-ish area.  I'm even forgetting it's name!  Will post when I remember.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rooney
That Girl Rooney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004 03:23:33 PM »

I am in Wichita Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004 03:01:16 PM »

Yay, No_Aloha! You finally joined! I won't be in town next weekend, but I will be the week after (that's the weekend of the 18th). Let's go thrifting then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

creatingme
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004 04:20:50 PM »

Does the yarn barn sell spinning supplies also??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppet
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004 09:17:20 AM »

I think they do. You can call to them to confirm, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Joan Ball Discusses Flirting with Faith
Artist Romero Britto Discusses His Books and Art
Get Some Straight Talk from Author Zane
J. Torres on Degrassi: Extra Credit
Philippa Gregory Talks About Margaret Beaufort
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...