I support my crafting habit by batending on the weekends. The cocktail waitresses are always complaining that they don't have a good place to keep their money while on the job. So I decided to make them some "magic wallets" which I remembered seeing years ago on TV.
This is my first tutorial... but here goes:
- 2 pieces of 6.5 x 5 inches of thin wood. (I have my fiance cut the pieces for me and round the corners, but you could get creative here. Old moulding, old hardback books and possibly cardboard).
- 46 in ribbon
- scrap fabric (2 pieces big enough to fully cover wood).
- glue gun
- sewing machine (minimal sewing, but you could probably use glue)
1. measure and cut fabric big enough so that fabric will cover piece of wood. (note, it's easier to double the fabric length wise, but my fabric print ran the other way)
2. mark fabric for sewing (leave a little room, so that the board will slide fairly easily into your created pocket).
3. sew fabric with right sides together down the marks you made.
4. trim extra fabric and turn right side out
4.5 oops! (i almost forgot this part) insert wood into the pockets you just created!
5. fold your raw edges in. you can either top sew or hot glue. i hot glued mine.
6. lay the boards on top of each other (for this part i'll call one board f board (for fish print) and one board p board (for polka dot!))
start with the f board on top. glue the end of the ribbon from side to side with the edge of the ribbon on the left.
7. open the f board so that its on the left of the p board (this is the "open" position). run ribbon across f board (DO NOT GLUE!) then ribbon under p board.
8. flip p board on top of f board and wrap ribbon on top. glue to the outside of p board. made sure that the ribbon on the inside is taught.
9. open p board back so that they are laying next to eachother again. run ribbon down diagonally to the left and tuck under f board.
10. flip f board on top of p board and bring ribbon across bottom of f board (from left to right) making sure that the ribbon inside it taught. glue ribbon to outside of f board.
11. open f board and run ribbon straight across inside of bottom f board. then tuck under p board.
12. then flip p board on top of f board and bring ribbon across the bottom of the p board and glue.
13. open p board and bring ribbon up diagonally to the left. *important* tuck ribbon under the ribbon that's already on the f board.
14. then tuck ribbon in between boards and flip f board on top of p board. now glue ribbon on top of the ribbon that's already there.
15. trim extra ribbon. now, TRY IT OUT! put money in and then flip and watch it slide under the ribbon. magic!