A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: old coin + several hours = a ring  (Read 11491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scoulson

The Horror! The Horror!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006 09:58:50 AM »

woah!  That's kinda cool.  How does it feel when you're wearing it?

its actually pretty comfortable.  depending on how long you flatten the side and what size ring you make determines how much you cut out of the center.  you just keep flattening until you only need to leave a small amount of a wall inside so its comfortable.  i suppose you could use a dremel tool and take the whole wall out if you wanted it to be flat inside and more comfortable.  then you would not see as much of the stamping though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006 11:01:17 AM »

In one of those tutorials it says you should use coins from before a certain date, is that necessary, or is it only to speed up the process?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
scoulson

The Horror! The Horror!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006 01:49:17 PM »

In one of those tutorials it says you should use coins from before a certain date, is that necessary, or is it only to speed up the process?
it could be done with any coin however, coins before 1964 have 90% silver in them.  coins after have mostly base metals, including a copper center.  so you would have a two tone look where you flatten it, which might be cool, however the base metals are harder and it would take a lot longer, also many people are allergic to the metals, especially if they contain nickel, the coper would probably also turn your finger green.  i got some world coins from a coin shop, the guy there had a book and could look them up to see what countries and what dates contained what percent of silver.  the world coins that i got were just 2.95 each and he gave me a badly damaged US standing liberty quarter that he could not sell.  If you just wanted to practice you might ask if they have damaged coins from earlier years and they will probably be inexpensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tivaclare
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006 01:58:21 PM »

Wow. That's too cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everkutz
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006 01:11:39 PM »

I HAVE to try this...I'm off to find some coins!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
BeePea
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006 01:20:11 PM »

thats so cool ! id love to make one, but i dont have any of the tools though, and i dont think i can do anything to a coin because it has the queens face on it and its illegal Sad

I wouldn't worry about the illegal thing. Whilst it is techinically no-one really cares. Plus we even have those penny stretching machines so I'm sure you wouldn't get in trouble for it.

I heard those souvenier penny machines were illegal (Huh?)- then again, I've also heard stories that you can't take a picture/video of one of the crows at the Tower Of London... (I know it spells disaster if they all go, but the picture thing was new)

When the Queen dies- do they start printing new coins with the King's head on?!

Beautiful rings by the way- it'd be interesting to see someone do something similar with a 50p piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FrogPuddle
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006 09:22:30 PM »

wow!! these are great! i know my husband has one started in a drawer somewhere, ill have to show him those links. thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006 04:27:28 PM »

does this have to be done with a special drill like a dremel or would any drill work? I've been wanting to make one for a looong time but in the tut I read it said that you have to use a dremel..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
morbid
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006 04:38:40 PM »

thats lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/asylumchild
will do personal trades. :]
my etsy!: www.Toriscreation.e tsy.com
please check it out.. thank you.
scoulson

The Horror! The Horror!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006 05:07:14 PM »

does this have to be done with a special drill like a dremel or would any drill work? I've been wanting to make one for a looong time but in the tut I read it said that you have to use a dremel..
i don't see why you could not use a regular drill, start with a small bit and keep increasing the size until you get the size hole you want.  i actually used a regular drill to make the initial hole because i dont have a drill press, i clamped the ring to my work bench, i was not able to get it centered that way because i could not hold the drill steady and the bit slipped a bit.  then i used a jewelers saw to cut out the larger circle, and a ring file to get the shape even, then used a dremel to sand it smooth.  if you don't do a lot of metals work you probably don't have the saw and the files.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Highlight and Contour Using Drugstore Products
This Ingredient Can Treat Skin Damage And Aging
Greg Lauren For Barneys New York
Best Types of Oil for Your Skin
Glittering Beauty Backstage at Chanel Fall 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...