A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby (or cat) sling!  (Read 3563 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_sling  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

porfiry

Freedom! Forever!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2006 10:44:21 AM »

One of my friends just found out that she is pregnant, so I began plotting out all of the things that I can make for her and the baby!  Last night I whipped up this super-easy baby sling.  It seriously took about half an hour.  Thing is, though, I don't have any babies readily available to test out what I make.  So I improvised.... a cat is relatively the same size and weight as a baby, right?  Right?!

Lucky for me the little guy loves to have his picture taken!  Anyway, here's a link to the tutorial that I used to make the sling:
http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
tasha_tuk
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006 11:17:43 AM »

Definitely makes a good substitute Smiley
The sling looks great, and I am going
to have to take a look at the link you
provided as my friend is prego too Smiley
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tasha_Tuk
http://natashasnews.vox.com for my everyday stuff
http://natashasneedles.blogspot.com for my sewing and knitting
.is.the.new.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006 11:34:48 AM »

Great job! Affordable, easy gift idea for new parents-- and you can get whatever fabric fits the parent's style...

I must be at that time of life where all my friends are engaged/getting married-- I'm expecting a slew of babies within another year!  I may not have ideas for wedding gifts, but now I know what baby-presents I'll make!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arashala

Got a razorblade hat with a knife in the brim...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006 11:43:22 AM »

Ha! LOL that's fabulous. My neighbor's pregnant and we were trying to figure out how this odd baby carrier thing worked and stuffed her fat cat in it too! Legs through the holes and all. Talk about some funny pictures. Hmmm...I still need to get her a couple of things before she pops her kid out...and that may just be the ticket, looks easier to figure out than her wierd one. Great job.

Also: .is.the.new., the kitty in your pic looks like one of mine! Mine's very "we are siamese if you DON'T please" though. Beats up my pit bull.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't matter how you get your love, just make sure that you do, if I can do it bet your ass that you can do it too..." -from Don't Matter

"Just a little slice of heaven....and a little taste of hell..."  -from Slice of Heaven

both by Mama Sweet (kick ass band FYI)
robotsxcanxlovextoo
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006 10:34:03 PM »

that is so darn creative!!!
Little kitty looks nice and comfy!
Its gonna be so cute when her baby is in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I too am strange and unusual...
Emilia06
Future Crazy Cat Lady

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006 09:46:53 AM »

What a lovely gift idea.  I was just reading a few days ago about how babies who are carried around by their parents during the first few months are more intelligent because they're allowed to observe more of the world than babies who aren't carried around.  So, your sling is not only beautiful, but very useful, too.   Cheesy

I'm also very jealous that your cat looks so well-behaved.  If I ever tried anything like that, I'd probably get all mauled and whatnot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhymeswithlove

BReana is the name <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006 10:02:19 AM »

A. Cute cat.
B. How sweet of you to make that.
C. Well done.

hehe. Its a outline of a reply. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

porfiry

Freedom! Forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006 10:07:58 AM »

Yeah, I was very surprised by little kitty's tolerance of the baby sling.  He's usually kind of skiddish, but he loved being in it.  I probably could have carried him around town with me!

I was just reading a few days ago about how babies who are carried around by their parents during the first few months are more intelligent because they're allowed to observe more of the world than babies who aren't carried around.

Thanks for sharing that, I'll definitely pass it along to the mother-to-be!  She and her hubby are totally consumed with figuring out how to raise a baby, so this fact will make them happy, I'm sure!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006 11:14:19 AM »

*chuckles* your cat looks totally at ease, and an utter ham Smiley.  I like the sling a lot. Am going to have to try and make one myself, seems to me to be a good beginner thing, or am I wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
porfiry

Freedom! Forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006 08:02:47 AM »

It's a very good beginner thing!  And it really doesn't use *that* much fabric, so it could be a good way to use up scraps you've got laying around.  Just be sure to read the directions a couple of times before you get started.  It seems like I always dive into stuff, and then realize that I didn't understand the instructions very well (or just looked at the pictures and didn't read the words, hah!) and there's a big gaping hole where there shouldn't be or something.  Or maybe that's just me...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Sweet And Spicy Chocolate At Home
Chocolate Chip Cookie Milk Shots
Pancake Recipes for National Pancake Day
Why Are People Clamoring For The Polish Pastry Puczkis?
How to Make Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...