A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS: MEET THE CRAFTSTER MODS  (Read 21824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006 08:38:15 PM »

jmi, its ok...i will tell you a secret....

when i met leah, i forgot to get my book signed too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006 08:59:55 PM »

She signed mine before she sent it to me.. I don't need it signed again.  I'll make her take pictures with us instead.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006 09:14:21 PM »

me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006 09:53:54 PM »

I assume you have never been to Chi-Town? anyway. If you are staying there I am a big fan of the hotel Allegro. http://www.allegrochicago.com/alleg_roo_theme.html.. I love the rooms there.  They have a nice quiet restaurant/bar in the hotel that is usually quiet.    The one thing about the Allegro is that they are extremely customer service friendly and always willing to help you out so give them a call and they will actually give you the best spots to meet up! They may even have a conference room you can use or maybe you guys could share a suite? While in the theater district a cab ride is usually around 5-7 dollars to Michigan Ave and the Magnificent Mile (a must go) and you can usually catch the green trolley to nearby tourist spots (that's free) if you are going sight seeing you can buy a city pass and go to all the Museums and such.. no link for that but just type in Chicago City Pass as a search
I hope this helps.

PS.. I always book through Hotwire... it gives the general area where you will be staying at and I must say Ive stayed at 4 star hotels booking this way...  I have NEVER been disappointed.  The nice thing about this is that they DO give  you the best price.  I am not sure if the weekend you have is set  in stone but you may want to check what the sports Venue is.  The Sox are contetending for a play-off spot (though I think after tonight they may be too far out in the series) and on a Chicago Bear weekend rates can go up.  If you go towards the end of October they have a great halloween festival with a haunted bus tour.  Though fun, another thing that can ruin a cheap hotel rate.

Oh and be warned that a car rental is silly unless you plan on driving to your hotel and parking it is and there is no point if you are going to be downtown. You'll spend your day in the car. There is no point in driving in Chicago.  You would be better off taking the L in and some of you may want to consider taking the train  anyway.  The rates for the Amtrak train have been cheaper and easier then driving.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006 10:29:00 PM by jnaos » THIS ROCKS   Logged
taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006 11:19:12 PM »

oh yeah!  i am a dork!  mine is also signed!  so i am good! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006 12:22:13 AM »

Woot, I'm up for this!  And it's a Sunday so that's my official day off (the store where I work is closed Sundays...they keep trying to make us work on Sun though Sad

Lifelong Chicagoan (well technically in suburbia but close enough!) here, so forgive me if I go on and on about my beloved city!

If anyone needs help with the public transit feel free to pm me, I'm the CTA Queen (aka the walking CTA billboard according to my mom Wink  Too bad my riding the CTA tutorial paper from high school got eaten by my dead laptop or I'd have that to hand out (I took pictures and everything of the farebox!)

I do recommend the Visitor's Pass, especially with the current fare structure.  A one day pass is $5 and that's for unlimited rides in a 24 hour period.  You can order the passes from the CTA, http://www.yourcta.com and have them in hand before you come -- the clock doesn't start ticking on the pass until you use it the first time.  There's one, three, five and seven day passes, so choose what you'll need!  Very worth it considering that in three cash fares you'd surpass the price of the one-day pass.

If you have time, yes do get a CityPass and hit the museums.  It's good for my favourites, Museum of Science and Industry and Adler Planetarium, as well as the Shedd, Field (King Tut is there until Jan 1st!) and the John Hancock observatory.   The homepage for that is http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html

Some more helpful websites:
http://www.choosechicago.com/
http://www.cityofchicago.gov

As far as places to get together, what about the Cultural Center?  Easy access from CTA (I can think of at least 2-3 busses that stop by there just off the top of my head), and there's a nice open cafe area that's usually not crowded, plenty of seating and some drinks and food available.  Best of all I doubt we'd have to reserve it if we're doing something kinda informal.

Let's see...there's also the Water Tower.  There's a cafe area there too, not quite as large as at the Cultural Center but decent nonetheless.

Of course there's also library meeting rooms.  I'd offer up my local library's but they're closed on Sunday Sad but I know Elmhurst PL is open Sundays and there's a Metra stop right there. 

I'm sure I could come up with more ideas but it's late and I have to work tomorrow (yuk).  So I'll shut up and let y'all digest everything I've babbled about so far. Cheesy

Mary Jo (Ms CTA Billboard)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006 03:21:55 AM »

oh yeah!  i am a dork!  mine is also signed!  so i am good! 

lol so is mine! thats why I was kinda making fun of myself Wink
Thanks for the help knitchick and jnaos !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006 04:35:13 AM »

jnaos - I think the trolleys stop after Labor day..

And I just remembered (heh) if you want to go to the Field Museum I'll be happy to get you in  Smiley I work there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006 05:10:24 AM »

jungrrl, that is one stop that we all said we HAVE to go to no matter what!! Do you think you could get in about 10 or 11 of us??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2006 06:25:29 AM »

jungrrl, that is one stop that we all said we HAVE to go to no matter what!! Do you think you could get in about 10 or 11 of us??

ohhh... jungrrl's our new hero!  Smiley  Getting us in or not, it's so cool that you work there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply a Prosthetic Latex Piece
Finishing the Werewolf Makeup
How to Set the Werewolf Makeup
Face Painting - Tiger Face Details
Final Touches for the Tiger Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...