A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I live in DeKalb and wondering about Chicago  (Read 1263 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2007 10:05:44 PM »

First of all if anyone knows of anything going on in DeKalb county, that would be awesome, ya know, craftwise.

Second of all, I was wondering about stitch and bitch groups, craft parties, sewing classes, fashion classes, conventions, etc. anything craft related I'd be really interested in anywhere near Chicago, Rockford, and in DeKalb County, Ideally in DeKalb or Sycamore.

I literally just moved here from North Dakota like last week.
Any help is appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linzo

yep, I'm holding a rooster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 01:53:07 PM »

welcome to IL... I live fairly close to dekalb. I know they have a pretty decent little yarn store and once a week people get together there, it is right by Ottos (the bar). I am not sure what day it is though.

Also there is all kinds of stuff that goes on at The House coffeeshop. So it would definetly be worth it to just pop in and grab a flyer.

If you can get your hands on a phone book I would. You can use it to look up shops and stuff and you may be able to find out about more stuff that way.

Good Luck... feel free to P.M. me.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/linzo

...but for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, and count every beautiful thing we can see...
- Neutral Milk Hotel
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007 04:20:05 PM »

I used to have friends that lived out that way, so I know a little about the area.

The nearest SNB group, if I remember correctly, is a little ways away in Rockford.

My friend Mary used to find all kinds of neat crafting stuff posted on campus, on campus bulletins, and in the student newspaper.

I'd probably start with the newspaper to see what kind of craftiness is going on at any given time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007 08:02:39 PM »

I live somewhere around there...20 miles west of Streator...know about where?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
shayneblate08

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007 07:54:14 PM »

I live somewhere around there...20 miles west of Streator...know about where?!?

Think I know where that is. cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007 09:00:05 PM »

Awesome!  Have Myspace?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
shayneblate08

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007 09:24:59 PM »

Awesome!  Have Myspace?

yep, its howellbe feel free to add me and then message me to let me know who it is, I get so many adds and I might accidentally delete yours, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeatnikChick
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007 12:39:27 PM »

Hey there, I'm a close by neighbor... This weekend is the Renegade Chicago Craft Fair, on Division Street between Damon Ave. and Wood Street, on September 15th and 16th, It's going along next to the Do-Division Festival (Urge Overkill and Camper Van Beethoven will be playing, too for only $5)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
Crafty Beaver

Corpse Bride-Halloween 2005

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007 12:47:12 PM »

Go to the Museum of Contemporary Art's webiste. I know they offer classes and they have a stitch and bitch. I don't know if anything is going on right now, but I know they have one.

I know you are in DeKalb, but there is an awesome art center in the Ravenswood neighborhood (Near Ashland Ave and Montrose Ave) called Lillstreet. You should check them out, they offer pretty much most classes you can think of.

I know that the Hyde Park Neighborhood also has the Hyde Park Art Center and they have great facilities too.

Hope this helps!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhTheBether
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007 09:29:07 PM »

A few things to try in DeKalb:

The DeKalb Public Library at 3rd and Oak has all sorts of crafty things in the evenings. 

My friend Kathy teaches knitting and crochet classes a few times a month, and they range from to beginner to experienced.  She also has a knitting group that meets on Monday nights, but I am not sure if it is a public group or not and it doesn't meet at the library.  But if you took her class you could talk to her and see. 

A few months ago the library held a spinning demonstration. 

They also do a series where they feature local musicians playing after the library is closed, and they serve beer and wine (it is a pretty new thing, they did it over the summer and I am not sure when it starts up again). 

They are also starting a read-along very soon for "Fahrenheit 451" (sp?), and there are a bunch of cool events, like students and professors and residents all reading segments aloud, book discussions, events in Spanish, etc.  That's not really crafty, but it is awesome, and if you haven't read that book you absolutely must.

You could try the university too.  Check the bulletin boards on campus, they are all over.  Check the ones in the dorms too, even if you don't live there, because they advertise all sorts of stuff there.  The Holmes student center also has tons on bulletin boards scattered about, so that may be a place you want to check also.

Borders sometimes has crafty stuff in the coffeeshop part.  Sometimes.

I am always talking about starting a crafting group in the area, but I am pretty lazy,and when a friend of mine started one, it soon turned into the "getting drunk on Wednesday night" group. 

The Yarn Exchange is the name of the store that the girl above me mentioned, it is on Lincoln Highway between 1st and 2nd Streets, and the south side of the street.  I am not sure about classes and groups, but they have AMAZING yarn.  All sorts of hard to find stuff, with great colors and textures and a baby crib full of sock yarn so soft that I want to dive into it every time I see it.

I live in DeKalb now, but I am from Chicago, and there is a TON of great crafty stuff in the city, but if you don't drive, then it is nigh impossible to get there.  There is a shuttle bus that goes to Elburn, where the nearest Metra station is, and you can take that into the city (to Ogilvie Station I believe), and from there it is a very short walk to the trains that take you all over the city.  Well, all over the north and westside, the southside is a bit ignored, but there are buses galore everywhere.  The shuttle bus is only on the weekends though, you can buy the tickets at the CAB box office on the ground floor of the Holmes Student Center.

You could start a group on campus, I think you only need a faculty advisor to vouch for you.  Then you can hold meetings on campus.  There are tons of meeting rooms, in the dorms, in the Student Center, everywhere.  In fact, if you decide to start a group, you should let me know, because I would like to join.

If you have any questions about DeKalb or Chicago or anywhere in between, just pm me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I demand a snackrifice!

http://www.myspace.com/ohthebether
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Style the Side Swept Bun Hairdo
How to Use a Curling Iron
Hairstyles For Your Hair Color
Simple Half Up and Down Wedding Hairstyle
Loose Waves Wedding Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...