A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,167
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: new apartment - can't paint, help!  (Read 4999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jemokiando
« on: September 20, 2006 06:06:01 PM »

I need help covering my white walls, and deciding on a color scheme.  The couch is a grey-brown tweed, carpet is all-purpose, and the TV and its stand are both black.  We also need some more furniture to fill the space.  However, I'm really low on funds for now.  I'd appreciate any advice you may offer.  Thanks!   

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/jemokiando/LR2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/jemokiando/LR3.jpg

p.s. sorry for the links.. can't post pics yet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhino
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006 02:00:34 PM »

what about painting on muslin and hanging it up? you can hang it on a curtain rod and if you get tired of a painting take it down and hang another. ( I'm not sure if i seen this idea was on eye on the bay or ikea.com) hang steel cable from corner on the big open wall and hang photos that way? or one large unframed art.  you can also make extra pillows to match the art? hmmm and plants vines are nice and manageable Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning; my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define. And there you are right there, in the mean time."
Out of Habit (Ani Difranco)
http://www.rhino.etsy.com
fabeins

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006 07:47:59 AM »

When I was in high school we lived in a rental filled with horrid paneling that I couldn't paint. I stretched really cool bed sheets across the wall, taut, like wallpaper, and used interesting tacks to secure them. It made a very cool room, with very tiny holes form the tacks and was easily pulled down when we moved. You could consider just doing an accent wall in a cool bold print sheet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006 10:52:21 AM »

You have some great windows! Play them up. Where does the sun come in? Take advantage of any sun you get with plants. Fabric, garlands, ribbons - have some fun! You really need some color. too many neutrals make everything fade. Live, live, live! Ikea has a wire hanger that has the mimimum of screw holes. You could hang fabric (tapestries?), or pictures off it. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006 11:37:22 AM »

I'm thinking fun colourful pillows for your couch, maybe even make a big cushy bean bag chair.  You've got awesome windows, so definitely play them up, as Tomico suggested, get some plants, big green ones would really liven up your place and maybe some funky flowers for your window sill.  You could have a lot of fun with those Crayola Window Writer markers and draw neat murals on your windows, and they will wash off when you get bored of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006 04:51:52 PM »

What about framing cute cards, wallpaper pieces, or even wrapping paper?  Or maybe attach it to a canvas somehow - JoAnn's & Michaels always have 40% off coupons.   Just find stuff with a cute print, perhaps? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
Daphne Descends

Blank page was all the rage.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006 10:22:07 PM »

http://digsmagazine.com/lounge/lounge_rentalreno.htm
http://digsmagazine.com/lounge/lounge_colorbasics.htm

I swear by this site.

I think picking a couple of contrasting colors would really give your room a "punch" since you can't paint. Maybe some pillows in reds and greens? (If you can sew a cheap way to do this is shop thrift stores for clothes you can cut up and make pillows out of) and some artwork to pick up the color? I'm also really fond of buying glass jars, vases, etc, in your color of choice and placing them around the apartment. Really pretty! Luckily all of your furniture and such is really neutral, so it will go well with any color you pick I think.

P.S. I LOVE that fact that you're watching the Daily Show on T.V. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass... the refill contained the antidote.
CrazyFool
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006 11:12:19 AM »

That starching fabric to the walls is perticularly friggin awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well...Damn The Man!!!
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006 11:25:35 AM »

Ask a friend to paint you a picture! Add bright throws to your couch! (blankets, pillows, I'm going for polka dots, personally) Photos are always good decor and they create great conversation pieces when people come over. Cheap wood shelves (painted, of course) over your windows with plants than hang down would be really pretty. It might be difficult to do the sheet thing unless you cut the sheets down since your walls are pretty well broken up with windows, but those Chinese style scroll like wall hangings are elegant, and would be easy to make, especially if you used a nice wall paper or fabric instead of a painting, and you can make them any size you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
veronikavsyou

i like to think i was born in the wrong decade.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006 09:36:29 AM »

ikea had this really cool idea where they took ornate frames painted gold (i'm sure you can find these at a thrift store and just spray paint them) and stretched some really unique fabric behind it.  chandeliers can really change a room up, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

authentic vintage clothing, 40's - 70's.

http://sweettoothvintage.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your College Campus Gear
Get The Blake Lively Style
See How Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Do Paris
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...