A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me what you like/dislike about Milw/Madison  (Read 1259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pumpkingirl
« on: June 10, 2008 07:45:23 AM »

Hubby and I had a baby last year, and like many peeps, are considering moving closer to family. I grew up in Madison, he in Milwaukee. So...having not lived in either place for over 12 years or more (or as an adult), what do you like about those cities? Would you rank one over the other? Factors that influence us include: nice neighborhoods with kid friendly stuff and nice yards, good craft stores/scene (me), bike trails, nice restaurants, good schools, good beer selection (hubby), etc. Or should we just move somewhere warm and fuggedabahdit? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
kateiline
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008 12:38:57 PM »

I LIKE to think I know these two cities well.  I grew up in a Milwaukee suburb, and have lived in Madison for the last six years.  Madison will always feel like a small town.  No buildings can be taller than the capitol, so that will keep it always out of the league of the large cities.  But this keeps it a closer community.  Gayfeather is a great apparel fabric store, and Stitcher's Crossing has excellent quilting fabrics and wools.  A new store opened on State Street that I have only been in once, but it looks like it is a small crafting store.  They sell patterns and papers and have a table to work on in the store.
Milwaukee is, obviously, a much larger city, and the appeal differs depending on what part of the city or suburb you are in.  I haven't found any apparel fabric stores yet beyond JoAnn and Hancock, but there's a great quilting store in Elm Grove.  They've opened a market downtown for local crafters to sell their wares in (which I have not been to yet, so I can't tell you more than that).  Since Milwaukee is a larger city, it does draw more national acts than Madison, and has more playhouses and concert venues.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more specific info than I've provided...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Storyteller Sculpture Part 1
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 3
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 4
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 3
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...