A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thrift stores  (Read 4642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soclosetostars

nothing remains the same

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2003 09:27:25 PM »

i live in clifton which is right by passaic, paterson, nutley, and bloomfield.  i have been to salvation army in passaic and red, white and blue in paterson.... but does anyone know of any other thrift stores in the passaic county/bergen co./essex xo. area???  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kim g
anniekate
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003 11:03:12 PM »

The following will be somewhat unhelpful:

When I was a small kid, about fifteen years ago, I lived in Pompton Lakes, and there was a Salvation Army store there.

Looks like it's still there:

http://www.passaiccountynj.org/Departments/naturalresources/chooseto.htm

But you might want to seriously consider the fact that the Salvation Army is a discriminatory fundamentalist Christian church. Just saying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003 11:06:35 PM by anniekate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004 10:26:04 AM »

Hi soclosetostars -

Here's a few - I live in near northern Passaic/Bergen county, so these might be a little far for you, but if you make a day of it, you could hit a few.

Treasures - run by SOS (Save our Sisters shelter)
196 Lincoln Ave, West Milford, NJ

Treasures II - also run by SOS
90 West Oakland Ave, Oakland, NJ

Second Mile Shop of Midvale United Methodist Church
490 Ringwood Ave
Wanaque, NJ
They have very limited hours, so you might want to call them ahead of time.

Chilton Hospital Auxiliary
38 Hamburg Tpke.
Riverdale, NJ

I know of 2 in Montclair - haven't been that way in a while, so not sure if they are still there.

St. Lukes 2nd time Around
73 South Fullerton
Montclair

Center for Hospice Care Thrift Shop
51 North Fullerton
Montclair

The Salvation Army is still in Pompton Lakes, sometimes good stuff, sometimes not. I've been finding I have more luck at garage sales lately - though not many of those this time of year!

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
Phunkorama
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004 06:29:45 PM »

Hey, I practically live in Montclair, and I know for sure that the Center for Hospice Care Thrift Shop is still open, as I went there today. And I also think that the St. Luke's one is there too; haven't checked in a while.

I actually found a few listings for thrift shops by using the Superpages website-- www.superpages.com. You could probably try that.

I know that in Bloomfield, towards Bloomfield Center, there's one called Second Time Around, I believe. And I've heard of the Christian Women's Thrift Boutique on 279 Glenwood Ave (also in Bloomfield), and of the Bloomfield Presbyterian Thrift Shop, somewhere on Broad St. I'm not sure if they're all still in existence, however.

Ah, well, hope that helps SOMEONE  Cool

The Superpages might be your best bet, though.

Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004 11:18:26 AM »

Are you looking for clothing or other stuff? There is a place in Wanaque (or is it Haskell there) - I think it's called the Storage Chest (I couldn't find a listing for it, but I drove past it yesterday). It's on Ringwood Ave, and it's almost directly across from the Wanaque Post office, and the CVS. They have a lot of used household stuff there, sometimes furniture, etc. Sometimes it's a disaster, sometimes more organized, but sometimes digging for the stuff is half the fun, right?   Wink

Update - it's called the Treasure Chest, it's kitty-korner across from the CVS.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004 07:52:56 AM by miss_mom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
soclosetostars

nothing remains the same

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004 12:38:16 PM »

thanks everyone that replied! i'm gonna hit some of them up this weekend!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kim g
Raquel

Caribea at Hearth!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004 10:16:33 PM »

HI, I live in Nutley and  I go to this little thrift shop in town at least every two weeks. I don't the name by hearth but it's on  Chestnut Street and they always have the cutest things and in excelent condition.
I just scored a brand new Betty Johnson hand weaved shall, to die for! and they allways have nice vintage shoes.
I can get the name for you tomorow, as I'm keeping my eyes open with toothpicks by now. Smiley

Raquel
http://www.sewprettyonline.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squashfold
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004 03:03:45 PM »

*writing these down*

I'm in Essex Co. also, and have been thinking about finding thrift places.  I did look a few up, but I think a few of the church-run ones had limited weekly hours, when I was away toiling at my 9-5.  I've been to the Pompton Lakes Sal Army several times, it's always overflowing with stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautifuljunk

i see you shiver with antici...pation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004 04:17:22 PM »

HEY i live in cherry hill... its about 20 minutes from philly so i normally just go to south street or something.  we mostly have goodwill's around cherry hill and one place called "village thrift" but its like a big skanky goodwill.  i need somewhere to go im getting desperate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fitz28
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005 07:42:41 AM »

the only thrift store i actually go to is practically down the street from me; it's really small though, and doesn't have a huge selection. I really want to go to different ones like the few mentioned, (goodwill, salvation army,) but i don't know where to look. I live in sussex county, and im sure there's probably tons--i just don't know how to find them. Might sound stupid--o well.

help?

Fitz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Jennifer Lawrence Chopped Off Her Hair
Elevator Makeover - Theodore Responds to Your Style Questions and Comments
Elevator Makeover - Theodore Leaf Responds to Viewer Questions
3 Habits That Damage Your Hair and How to Avoid Them
Celebrity Hair Trend: Braided Chignon
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...