A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 10 yr old boy diagnosed with lymphoma  (Read 730 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

serialcrafter

but I want to help!

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2006 07:39:25 AM »

A friend of mine's 10 year old was just diagnosed with lymphoma.  I want to do a comfort box for him and his family, but I'm not sure what would be good for a boy. 

I figured a pillow with some cool fabric and some type of guardian angel charm (probably a shrinky dink so it's not girly) hanging off the corner of it.  What else can I do? 

This can be religious, but I really want to keep it upbeat and not morbid.  I'm thinking of a warrior angel theme.

Update:  He's doing great!  Tumors reduced by 70% after the first round of chemo!  Very upbeat and will be able to watch his football team play the playoffs next week.  We're thrilled for him!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006 09:37:22 AM by serialcrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gossamer_gull
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006 07:47:12 PM »

If he has any heroes -- whether they be comic book/video game characters, athletes, or celebrities -- maybe you could make some sort of collage, with pictures of him surrounded by figures he admires. In that way you'd be putting him on a par with his heroes and showing them rooting for him.

If he's an introspective kid, maybe he'd benefit from a journal. If he likes to read, you could make him some fun bookmarks. If he has a sweet-tooth, you could bake him cookies in fun shapes.

I don't really have any other suggestions, unfortunately. Boys can be tough. And balancing support and cheer is even tougher. But I hope I was at least a little helpful. Good luck!

-- Lori
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006 08:01:27 PM »

Ouch.
I have a 10-year-old boy. Things he likes that might be good for a boy who's not feeling well or in need of distraction and comfort:

--those microbead pillows to hug/sleep on/lounge on--my guy has three, one of which vibrates; he keeps it at his feet!!! And if you get one of those, some batteries.
--books on tape/CD, especially Chronicles of Narnia, Redwall (Brian Jacques series of about 10 books--very manly), Anne McAffery series
--graphic novels (we used to call 'em comic books!) But be careful that they aren't too "dark" in tone. There's a Heroes of the Bible graphic version--all the good guys' stories, told comic-book style. We have it; I can find it for the publisher if you would like.
--those magnetix things--they have a steel ball and some little plastic rods with magnets inside. They keep my son distracted and entertained for HOURS. Plus, they're portable and can go practically everywhere for instant entertainment, even to the hospital or a waiting room. (Warn them about de-gaussing the TVs with them, though!!) My child keeps some of his in a vinyl, zippered pencil pouch and carries them with him whenever there's a chance mom will get stuck talking to someone, or for car trips, etc.

I'll ponder and try to think of more. I'll remember your friend and his family in my prayers.

-marcia
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006 08:04:40 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
serialcrafter

but I want to help!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006 08:57:18 PM »

Thanks Lori and Marcia!
Your suggestions are very helpful.  He's a big Lance Armstong fan (his dad cycles) so the Livestrong theme popped up on the way home.  So far, I've made a canvas bag that his friends can all sign for him with colored sharpies, a small pillow that I ironed a livestrong picture on and a private thought journal with a fierce looking warrior angel on it for protection.  Figured it's a start.  He's got 8 months of this to go, so I'll definitely be using your suggestions going forward.  I've got to find out from his dad what types of things he likes to read and/or favorite characters.

Thanks again
Karen

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006 07:15:16 AM »

Interested in practical?  A fleece hat, especially with winter coming up.  Your head gets so cold without hair!  I did chemo for hodgkin's lymphoma and lived in my fleece hat while I was at home, even in August.  Ever since then, I've made a fleece hat for every person I know (or friend of friend).   With all the fun options in fleece, you can really personalize it.  I don't have the specific pattern number I use in front of me right now, but find one (or make one up) that has all (or most) the seams at the crown, trim all the seams, no pom-pom, etc.  The idea being to be as comfortable as possible b/c he will do a lot of sleeping and your head gets extra sensitive when you are losing hair. 

~ruby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006 07:51:06 PM »

--graphic novels (we used to call 'em comic books!) But be careful that they aren't too "dark" in tone. There's a Heroes of the Bible graphic version--all the good guys' stories, told comic-book style. We have it; I can find it for the publisher if you would like.
Another great series to check out is Bone. It's kid lit, but I love it! I think a 10 year old boy would enjoy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gunstreetgirl on Ravelry
www.varnishedvalkyrie.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...