A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to make for someone you don't like very well?  (Read 1391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Locutus137
« on: September 20, 2006 07:03:24 AM »

I know it's an odd question, but this year I'm making everyone's (except my children's) christmas presents.  This includes my dad's wife - my stepmummy - of a few years.  She's alright and I don't hate her but I don't particularly like or have anything in common with her. 

So, what would you make for someone like that?  I don't want to make something too labor intensive but I do want to make something that looks like a little thought and time went into it.  She's kinda "rough" if that makes any sense at all.  I wouldn't go so far as to say she's trashy, but she's walking the edge.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006 07:32:01 AM »

ok, that's a difficult decision, isn't it?

Even "rough" girls love stuff made just for them.  Would she love a purse made in fabrics to suit her style?  Or maybe a blanket of some sort?  Even jewelry?

I have a friend who's a bit "rough" around the edges and she adores when I make her something that to me seems tacky, but it's just her style! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006 07:47:28 AM »

Well, first of all: I think that either you make something with your heart 100% into it, or you don't make anything at all.

Secondly, you do have things in common with your stepmom. You both love your dad!(?) I hope. That, if anything, should be one really good reason for you to try getting over the "problem". He must love her for something, right? Cheesy Family could be complicated stuff, I know...

1) What crafts do you do and enjoy? 2) What are her interests and tastes? 3) Could you combine these 2 and make one great Christmas present? You could also make your dad and his wife a gift to share. Something for their home? Or something that'll bring you all together - a nice dinner?

I hope I don't sound to preachy, it's not my intention.
Good Luck! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006 07:51:06 AM by decibel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006 07:56:42 AM »

Do you know intarsia by chance?  Because most everyone has a favorite movie, tv show, band, or animal.  You could chart out a logo or animal and knit it in a square, knit another square, seam 'em together and stuff and you've got a funky throw pillow. 

If not, then something she'd deem useful in a cool yarn, like a cell phone cozy or a sunglasses holder.  Or a change purse.  Or if you're knitting bigger things for other people, a combo of the three. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006 08:00:17 AM »

Maybe the very act of making yourself really think about something that would make her happy will make you see more good in her. So, making her something really nice could spark a change in your relationship. And if she doesn't appreciate it, your Dad might appreciate the effort, and at the very least you'll have taken the high road. Or, you could just make something "general" that most people would like: a household item (like embroidered tea towels), scarf or tote. Maybe something with her name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Locutus137
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006 08:09:16 AM »

I appreciate all the input and did not take any of it as preachiness.  =)  It has been a long hard road with her and we are just now at a point where we are friendly with each other - and it's not been a one sided bitchiness.  It's a long story that I won't go into here.  But, anyway, I did want to make a nice gesture.  Maybe I'll go with an afghan or something similar that I can give to both of them because my dad appreciates my knitting like no one else for some reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006 08:09:51 AM »

Maybe the very act of making yourself really think about something that would make her happy will make you see more good in her. So, making her something really nice could spark a change in your relationship. And if she doesn't appreciate it, your Dad might appreciate the effort, and at the very least you'll have taken the high road. Or, you could just make something "general" that most people would like: a household item (like embroidered tea towels), scarf or tote. Maybe something with her name?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say...  Language... me... so good not... speak. Wink

I appreciate all the input and did not take any of it as preachiness.  =)  It has been a long hard road with her and we are just now at a point where we are friendly with each other - and it's not been a one sided bitchiness.  It's a long story that I won't go into here.  But, anyway, I did want to make a nice gesture.  Maybe I'll go with an afghan or something similar that I can give to both of them because my dad appreciates my knitting like no one else for some reason.

Oh gosh, I do know what you're talking about. Don't we all have at least one teensy-weensy bit annoying little old uncle or so that makes our world a little less fun to be in at times? Grin

I think an afghan is a great idea!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006 08:14:23 AM by decibel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006 08:11:17 AM »

I dunno, Decibel...you are pretty damn articulate in SEVERAL languages!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
ax174
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006 08:16:11 AM »

Find out what her favourite colours are (or the colour of her coat), then make a garter-stitch scarf in those colours with thick yarn on big needles.  An afghan would take too long, I think, and you never know how she may react to the FO.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006 09:19:51 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

decibel
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006 08:17:56 AM »

I dunno, Decibel...you are pretty damn articulate in SEVERAL languages!  Wink

Me no?! Roll Eyes <blush blush>

Swedish - yes! English - I get by!
But thanks for the compliment, miss Batgirl - ever so lovely!
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
how to Take a Natural Light Portrait
How to Frame an Environmental Portrait
How to Use Soft and Hard Lines in your Images
How to Understand Subject Placement
How to a Use Polarizing Filter
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...