A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Makins Clay tools  (Read 801 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2006 06:58:19 AM »

The Michaels stores here have just started carrying the new Makins Clay tools - pasta machine with Teflon-coated rollers, clay extruder with a crank to work it - they're not cheap, but I'm told they're worth the expense for the effort they save you.  Check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006 08:39:24 AM »

I'd heard that the Makin's machine leaves a fine grain patterning on mica clay sheets put through its rollers.  If anyone buys one, would you tell me if that's still true? 

(I think also they redid this machine, after putting it out online previously, because of some problems it had ... can't remember which they were now... if so, this would be their "final" version of the machine, I assume)

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
penguintrax
Polyclay Freek

Perpetually Organizing my Bead Room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006 07:59:39 PM »

There are very mixed reviews on the second release of the Makins Ultimate Clay machine (you can see some recent discussion on this in Polymerclaycentral.com's discussion forum.

That said, their professional extruder gun is very good, as are their texture sheets and cutters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006 09:43:22 AM »

Thanks, PenguinTrax!

For everyone else, here's the exact thread at PolymerClayCentral's message board for prob. the last discussion on the new version of the machine, and a good summary of possible problems and what one might do about them, if anyone's interested:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/polymerclay/messages/?msg=48775.1
And the previous discussion is worth reading too... just found it:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/polymerclay/messages?msg=48705.1
(if not a "member," you can Enter as a Guest... then click Skip This Advertisement when the inevitable full page ad blocks your view)

Basically, I guess the new plastic scraper blades (which were put in to avoid the burs that were occuring on the original metal scrapers) may get distorted with the friction of turning the handle quickly and leave marks on the clay, esp. at thinner settings?

Some people report that the machine "settles down" after using it a while, but it may be necessary to run several pieces through to get a sheet without ripples... not quite sure what's being said.

Here's a report from Jeanie Havel though on discovering if this is what's wrong with your particular model:

(look under the machine at the) dark plastic strips inserted in metal tracks below, and right against the rollers -- your eye should be able to follow a straight line along the scraper blades from one end of the machine to the other.
Now turn the machine up on its end with the knob end up and look at the scraper blades now. What do you see? On my machine, I could not see a straight line. One of the plastic scraper blades was definitely set into the metal track differently from the other.
I kept the machine on its side and rolled a piece of clay through the #1 (widest) setting exactly in the middle of the machine. As the clay came through the rollers, I watched as that crooked scraper blade caught the edge of the clay just enough to make a pleat or ripple.

I put the machine back together and to prove my point before I wrote my report, I ran a LOT of clay through at progressively thinner settings - #1, #3, #5, #7, #9. The first 5 or 6 pieces rippled. The next pieces rippled less, until finally, I ran the most beautiful sheet of red clay through the machine at each of the five settings ending with #9 . . .

She says that if not satisfied with the machine (after using it a while?), you can take it back to the store where it was purchased, or contact her to return it to the company.

They probably will be coming out with yet another version though that addresses this issue.

P.S.  Another thing that's mentioned is that the rollers are not "Teflon" -coated... Teflon a brand name for a non-stick surface (like "Kleenex" is for tissues) and they didn't use that particular brand for their non-stick surface   Wink

Diane B.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006 09:48:52 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Fuller and Longer Lashes
Supermodel Secrets: Coco Rocha on Taking the Perfect Selfie
Surprising Beauty Uses for Baking Soda
Tips For Full and Voluminous Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...