A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: colorado springs  (Read 18012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

singtotheskies

I, too, taste like chicken

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2003 03:33:27 PM »

HI
is there anyone who lives in col. spgs.? I do and was wondeing if y'all knew of any good thrift , craft, or just cool stores in general. I like ARC and barricusa bazzaar.
~mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.
velocity.girl
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004 09:32:03 AM »

Hey! I live in Colorado Springs. Unfortunately, I have no cool ideas for crafty or thrifty places. What is Barricusa Bazzaar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
singtotheskies

I, too, taste like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004 10:52:27 AM »

oops sorry, i Misspelled it.It's actually Barracuda Bazaar. It's in old colorado city at 2502 W. Colorado Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO

It's not a diy store, but it has such amazing cool stuff I can't see anybody not loving it. here's a website that talks a little about it:  

http://www.shopoldcoloradocity.com/MerchantPages/Barracuda/Barracuda.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004 04:11:14 PM »

I grew up in the Springs, though I'm in Fort Collins for college.  What sort of crafty stores do you mean?  There are two bead stores in Old Colorado City and one up near Bucco di Beppos, if those count.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lissa
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004 10:10:41 PM »

I am in Littleton so I have no idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marinechimp

team work means staying out of my way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004 12:16:56 AM »

egad! hi mary!!! geez i find you every where. have you to the thrift store on peterson air foce base. i am going there this friday, there are usually some pretty nifty things there. and yes, barracuda bazaar rocks and it is conveniently located across the street from the chocolate factory! by the way, this is trina.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.tofupotpie.com the home for all of my kick butt jewelry
or for a more professional look: http://www.tofupotpie.etsy.com
LucyOlive
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005 04:52:52 PM »

Oh hey i live in colo springs. I LUV BARACUDA BIZARRE the rings rock! well i know the best thrift store thyres like 60s 70s and 80s i got a fulkl dress set for like 4 dollars the name isnt coming to me right now ill ask my mom and post later
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One day whilst I was walkin'
a-walkin' through the park
a hickory caught my eye
with the most attractive bark
nervous, i approached it
eyeing branch to root
anxious, can't believe it
THIS TREE IS FUCKING NUDE!!!!

so...
take off all your clothes and
find a tree to fuck and
wrap your legs
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005 07:29:47 PM »

Hello.  I live out of state and will be visiting CO Springs this Summer.  More crafty places would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005 09:21:42 PM »

Well, I grew up there (Sierra HS woohoo!); and still go back a couple of times a year to visit family.  The new Joann's off of Powers is incredibly HUGE! and fantastic.  They're essentially a "super store"-- a craft store on a super-Wal-Mart scale; and the staff was very helpful when I was there last. 

There are Goodwill's everywhere.  If the one that's off of S. Academy and Astrozon is still there, they some times sell clothes by the pound. 

If you knit or crochet, I came across a nice yarn store.  They're on the pricey end, but have all of the good knitting books in stock and have some of the most beautiful handcrafted knitting needles I've ever seen.  It's Needleworks by Holly Berry at 2409 W. Colorado Ave.  The staff was really nice, if overly enthusiastic! 

And of course, if you're into beading and jewelry, there are TONS of shops in Co. Spings and Manitou.  Ackley's Rocks and Stamps, Alpine Casting Co. (they give free samples of their beads!), Beadtrader/Beazu (all in Co. Springs) and in Manitou: Bead to the Beat, Claim Jumpers Rock Shop. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005 11:56:13 AM »

Another great knitting store is Green Valley Weavers and Knitters on Colorado Ave.  They are small but have great yarn and are very helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005 06:19:14 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Keep them coming.  Do any of the yarn shops around carry dyed roving?  I've recently gotten into spinning and prefer to purchase roving in person than over the internet.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005 12:26:26 PM »

There is a store called Knitters Cove it is south of downtown (can't remember the address) but I am pretty sure they have roving. Green Valley has some too.   What brings you to C-Springs this summer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005 09:36:43 PM »

I just got back from Co. Springs today and had a fabulous time on vacation.  I was able to go to Green Valley Knitters & Weavers and a wonderful yarn shop in Old Colorado City (wonderful book selection).  I hit up a couple of bead shops but unfortunately was a little disappointed.  At least one of the bead shops was even closed on a Tuesday afternoon.  Sad  But to the bead shops benefit, I was only able to go to a couple  nor did I find the bead shops in Manitou.  (Adam's Mountain cafe was quiet yummy though). 

The air feels so thick and humid back home, compared to the light rocky mountain air.  Smiley

Thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005 11:35:14 AM »

I play music at Adam's Mountain Cafe once a month:-)
It is exceptionally hot and dry here right now so I definitely envy you your humidity.
Glad you had a nice visit though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunacouer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005 04:23:48 PM »

Hey all-

I live in Colo. Springs, too!  The Goodwill off of Constitution and Powers (it's behind a 7-11, next to the shopping mall with Grocery Warehouse) is awesome.  I always find goodies for collages and altered books.  The ARC off of Austin Bluffs is good, too, but overpriced, imho.  They just built a new Salvation Army, huge, on the corner of Platte and Circle.  Salvation Army always keeps things cheap.

I just went to Joann's for the first time off of Powers....holy cow, there was so much that I was overwhelmed.  All of those gorgeous fabrics, too.  Yum.

Old Colorado City...I'm going to have to check out those stores previous post-ers mentioned.  It's also just awesome to walk around down there to get inspiration.

I would love to have a craft night, but unfortunately, Denver is a bit much for me.  It's the extra hour it takes to get to Denver, then the hour it takes to get home that kills me.  And oy, I hate Denver driving at night.  Scares the be-jiminies out of me.  But I am all for a Colorado Springs craft night.  Or just a friendly get together to meet each other.  It's a little hard to coordinate on this board, tho, cuz I think folks are checking out the projects, swaps, how-to's, more than the location boards.  Any ideas, anyone?

Kristina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."
-Anna Freud
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005 02:31:26 PM »

luna~ I would be interested in doing a craft night but in town as I have a wee one. I suppose we could try out some sort of e-mail list. Not really sure to round everyone up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunacouer
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005 03:15:03 PM »

Or it could be just a really small group...you, me and your little bit (the little cutie in your avatar pic, right?).  lol Grin.  Not many Colo. Sprgs folks posted here (although it looks like a few in Denver...I accidentally posted the comment about Denver from another post behind the Colo. Springs one...d'oh!)....hmmm, where to find them in the Springs?  I'm not real hip to going outside of the Springs, either.  Do you have any ideas?  Do you know if any of the smaller craft shops in town host craft nights, or have regulars that would be willing to give it a go?  I'm on the east side of town, off of Powers and N. Carefree, so I've mostly been hitting Michael's and Goodwill, and I'm not familiar with all of the really *cool* craft stores on the west side of town/Old Colo City/Manitou Springs.  I suppose I could do the non-lazy thing, and call around.  I'll do that tomorrow and post here what I find out.  Any craft shops that you all think should definitely be on the list?  I was going to call the Michael's and Hobby Lobby's in town (I know they have classes, just don't know about the informal stuff).  After that, I'm not sure who.

BTW, my name is Kristina.  Nice to meet ya, Gretchen.  And I'm really glad that you wrote back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Anna Freud
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005 08:03:59 PM »

Sorry, I have not been around. My husband is on the computer for school alot. then things got really busy around here, but I am still interested in craft night.
 Actually the kid in the picture is me. My wee one is a little boy.
as for good craft stores, there are some great knitting stores but I usually go to the big box craft stores too.  Joanns is pretty off the hook they seem to have everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunacouer
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005 07:35:10 AM »

To all you Colorado Springs gals (and guys, if you're out there).  I just wanted to let you know about a brand new craft store on the east side of town.  It's called Quilts and Crafts, run by a mom and daughter team, Omega and Trina.  It's a quilting and scrapbooking supply store on the NW corner of N. Carefree and Powers, next to Diamond Shamrock.  They are having a grand opening on Sept. 1st, 2nd and 3rd, with discounts, and they are also giving away prizes, including a crazy expensive quilting sewing machine (Trina said it's worth over $1000).  You can enter anytime between Sept 1st and 3rd and you don't have to be there to win, they'll call you.  Omega will be teaching quilting classes and Trina will be teaching scrapbooking/altered books/stamping/etc classes.  The store is very well organized, with some scrapbooking and quilting supplies that you apparently can't get anywhere else (like this very pretty stained glass paper that Trina was showing me).  Very cool, so check these ladies out before you head to the big stores, especially for all you east-enders, since it's in the same vicinity as Joann's and Micheal's.  Support your local craft store! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Anna Freud
miss Em
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006 10:39:52 PM »

wow i know nobody has posted in this topic in forever but i used to live in the springs and i'm missing it! any ways my fav thrift store is the ARC on Uintah and 19th  i believe..they have the coolest shit there and saturdays are half off days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006 08:34:14 PM »

It's true the ARC is a great thrift store. I went on a Weds. though and it was 1/2 off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss Em
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006 09:12:04 PM »

well when i lived in the springs i believe it was usually on saturday..which was awesome because it was right after payday and i had saturdays off lol. oh man i wish everyday was half off day. wouldn't life be grand Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IFancyPadfoot
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006 04:16:40 PM »

If you knit or crochet, I came across a nice yarn store.  They're on the pricey end, but have all of the good knitting books in stock and have some of the most beautiful handcrafted knitting needles I've ever seen.  It's Needleworks by Holly Berry at 2409 W. Colorado Ave.  The staff was really nice, if overly enthusiastic!

That's where I learned to knit! Love the store and the staff is great, but omg, it's SO expensive. Double the price for any Debbie Bliss yarn (that's the only kind I've bought there). I once saw some hand dyed yarn there for over $50 a skein! Gah, horrible! It is a really nice store, though, and their classes are really good, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006 10:08:27 AM »

I went to the Goodwill in Security and got a huge bag of yarn for only $5!  Yeah its mostly redheart but it is great for granny squares.  I was surprised when I saw it.  Just goes to show you that you never know what is in a thrift store. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
kristiface
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007 11:38:06 PM »

That's where I learned to knit! Love the store and the staff is great, but omg, it's SO expensive.

I was home over Christmas and went in there-- and this time around the staff wasn't helpful at all-- in fact they were kind of snobby, which I've started to notice more and more frequently at yarn stores Sad  And I was really displeased with their selection of sock yarns-- they only carried Lorna's Laces and one other brand that I wasn't interested in (and only in two or three colors!).  So I'm glad to be home and ordering from the internet again Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
Gretchen77
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007 08:12:27 PM »

I have to agree about that yarn store. Such a great selection but you never know when they will be friendly and helpful.
I love knitters cove and it is also convienently right down the street.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007 09:46:41 PM »

Ooooooooh, I'll have to check that place out next time I'm home! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007 01:20:54 PM »

I know this is an old thread...but Mill Outlet fabrics is really good for fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007 02:18:19 PM »

I am a thrift store junkie. The Arc used to be good...now I only go on Saturday's since their prices went up so high and Sat is 50% off day.

Then there is the DAV on Circle Drive near Platte. You never know what you will find there.

If you don't mind going a bit South, go to God's Pantry in Fountain. It is cluttered, and sometimes it is packed full of ministry patrons (they give away free food to the needy) but their prices are insanely good and the people are wonderful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's a real burn, being right so often" - Malcomb Reynolds

Some of my illustrations:
http://www.dreamstime.com/easystreet_portfolio_pg1
My greeting card store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/easystreet
Stars_Fire_17

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007 07:10:30 PM »

I am a thrift store junkie. The Arc used to be good...now I only go on Saturday's since their prices went up so high and Sat is 50% off day.

Then there is the DAV on Circle Drive near Platte. You never know what you will find there.

If you don't mind going a bit South, go to God's Pantry in Fountain. It is cluttered, and sometimes it is packed full of ministry patrons (they give away free food to the needy) but their prices are insanely good and the people are wonderful.

I will have to check them out, thanks for the heads up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007 08:55:56 AM »

I forgot the mention the good Goodwills....

The one in Security was rebuilt a year or so ago. It is now located behind the Papa John's on Highway 85 in Security.

The (relatively) new Goodwill on Powers is also nice. It is in the shopping center behind the Big 5 sporting goods store. (Cub Foods used to be in the same building if that helps)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My greeting card store:
Stars_Fire_17

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007 08:50:12 PM »

The one in Security was rebuilt a year or so ago. It is now located behind the Papa John's on Highway 85 in Security.

I got a huge bag of yarn from the one in security for only about $5.00.  Can't beat that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007 03:43:33 AM »

Okay, I'm gonna reply to the insanely old thread, b/c I'm excited to find other craftsters in C/S.  I'm in Fountain.  My fave store (not my wallet's fave store, however) is the Bead Gallery on Kelly Johnson right across from the bank.  They have tons of great stuff and are super friendly and helpful.  They are closed on Sundays.  If the idea of a crafty meet and greet is still on the table, I'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007 08:56:16 AM »

We are starting a branch of the CraftMafia in Colorado Springs. PM me for more info Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007 07:06:10 AM »

Ok...What is the CraftMafia?

(Envisions scenes from the Sapranos involving knitting needles and the very rude use of a glue gun)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My greeting card store:
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007 02:03:46 PM »

It would be a branch of this
http://www.craftmafia.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuxieLou

sewing & polymer clay <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007 11:46:06 AM »

We are starting a branch of the CraftMafia in Colorado Springs. PM me for more info Smiley Smiley Smiley
oooh but why can't u be in Denver?  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007 12:00:32 PM »

Ooooooohhhh! That sounds very interesting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My greeting card store:
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007 02:00:45 PM »

oooh but why can't u be in Denver?  Cry
Because I-25 and Castle Rock get in the way Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christy_cooper
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2007 06:30:52 PM »

I just found this thread and was surprised to find that no one mentioned http://tablerockllamas.com Table Rock Llamas in Black Forest. They have roving, spindles, yarn, wheels, looms, books, and other fun fibery stuff.

And the owners are nice, too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the fibery goodness! http://crazymonkey.etsy.com
craftingcaren
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009 08:09:03 AM »

Ok I know this is a really old thread, but it is the only one on Colorado Springs that seems to keep popping up.  Did anyone start the CraftMafia,  I would love to be in a crafting group here!!  Anyway, just thought I'd give it a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009 02:14:21 PM »

We actually have our own spinoff-it was too difficult to connect with the national one.You can send me a pm for info
THIS ROCKS   Logged

applesweet
Darling

Banana-Headed Thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009 02:15:46 PM »

So it's been a while since anyone posted here... I was just wondering if there was a SnB or any sort of group I could join? I'm not really looking to sell anything but I'd love to just meet up with some crafters, share ideas, show off skills, learn some new ones, stuff like that. Anyone down?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonEyze
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009 10:34:50 PM »

Thought I'd throw in my .02 cents.  I'm in COS, actually near that famed Powers & Constitution Goodwill.  I'd love to chat about crafts, although I have a rediculasly difficult schedule to make friends around.  Shame.  Chat it up anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
John Lennon
cachelady
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010 06:58:39 PM »

A really neat place is American Classics Marketplace, on the corner of Constitution and Academy. It is a huge antique mall. There are a lot of interesting stuff to look at and people sell their crafts at some of the booths. Word of warning though... if it is your first visit, give yourself a few hours. There is TONS to look at
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neversaymichele
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011 12:26:39 PM »

I've lived almost my entire life in Colorado Springs, but last fall moved to Brooklyn, NY.
My mom and I are huge crafters and so here's a list of all our favourite places:

American Classics Marketplace - Constitution and Academy. There's an awesome yarn vendor who sells books, needles, hooks, magazines and tons of unique yarns in the very North West corner of the place (in the more warehousey area).

Ruth's Stitchery - near the intersection of Barnes and Austin Bluffs. It's next to where the DMV is or atleast use to be. It's an embroiders paradise! My mom loves that place but it's a bit expensive.

Tandy Leather - on the east side of Academy just before the Maizeland intersection. They sell mostly leather goods. But if you're making a purse or need awesome clasps and things, it's the place to go!

and if you're ever in Denver. The *MOST* awesome fabric/felting/yarn place is Fancy Tiger. I miss Fancy Tiger SOOO MUCH! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

savvysuzy
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2011 08:00:47 PM »

There is a SnB, though I think it's called knitwits and hookers, try finding them on meetup.org for col. spgs.

I like The Millend Fabric Outlet on Prospect
I love Antiques Warehouse
and I heard there's a crafter's warehouse, but I lost the slip of paper with the address, so If someone else knows, please post it here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Products To Keep You Smelling & Looking Radiant As You Travel
Twiggy Inspired Sixties Makeup Tutorial
Top 5 Summer Lipsticks
How to Make Matte Nail Polish
How To Make 3 At-Home Cellulite Remedies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...