A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
304 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Shops in Ankara?  (Read 5919 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hischildsindi
« on: September 18, 2006 11:39:53 AM »

I'm fairly new to the boards and I am not Turkish, but have visited once and hope again to return there.

Are yarn shops and craft shops hidden in Turkey?  While, yes I was in a couple of districts in Ankara looking about shopping, I did not see a single craft or yarn shop.  I would have gone estatic with just some yarn stuck in a corner of a shop, but did not see any. 

I know the Turks make beautiful yarn, because ever since I knew my friend in Turkey, I have seen so many skeins of yarn here in the states with "Made in Turkey".  Also, while i was there, the very last day in Ankara before bus to Istanbul to fly out, a friend I had made presented me with a beautiful simple knitted shawl.

So, although I do not know when I will return, when I do I wish to be armed with knowledge as to where to find it.  Thank you in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006 12:42:48 PM »

I lived in Izmir for a number of years, and I can tell you that Turkey is laden with craft supplies. They make a lot of top quality yarns, threads, fabrics etc, that sell dirt cheap there and are way expensive here.

I have never been to Ankara, but you may want to ask at your hotel next time you visit. In Izmir there is a shopping district called Konak and it is amazing for everything you could ever think of buying.

Good luck with the shopping. I miss that part of living there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
offgenemi
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006 06:51:15 PM »

Hey,
 I am turkish and I am from Ankara. There is a bunch of yarn stores. I like "SIK DUGME" it is on Ataturk bolevard, just where Akay meets Ataturk. If you let me know just before you go I ll get the complete adress for you.
There is other yarn stores in Izmir Street (Funny huh?) There is abunch of craft shops in the buildings along with other stores where you can get fabric, beads, clothes etc.
Just send me an email before you go Ill get the adresses maybe a smal map for you Smiley
gochemoche@gmail.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonBabbu

Times are hard for dreamers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006 01:15:11 AM »

I'm leaving to Turkey this evening and I was wondering if someone could tell me where the craft stores in Kemer/Izmiz are? I'm mostly a jewellery maker or a felt lover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!
http://www.wists.com/bonbabbu
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006 02:31:09 AM »

sorry that some the questions have left unanswered.. we dont have some many turkish members and i am from istanbul and have no idea about other towns in a crafty aspect.. but i can say that if you are intrested with craft supplies and want to buy LOTs for less (way less, i cant believe how the yarn is so pricey over in the u.s) you have to extend your route to Istanbul. it is the best place to find every kind of supplies (craft or not) for cheap very cheap... if some of you have chance to visit Istanbul i can give you some hints (not the shop names or something, whole stircits to find lots of stores altogether so you can make your way).. feel free to pm me, i will be glad to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Scotty Dog Shortbread Cookies
How to Prepare Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
How to Make Butternut Squash Tartlets
How to Make Flavored Yogurt
How to Bake Apples With Brown Sugar and Cinnamon
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...