A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric choices for dress - I need advice  (Read 313 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tingeling
« on: September 18, 2006 01:43:35 AM »

Hi!  Im new here and also new to sewing clothes.  I have sewn quite a bit before, curtains, dolls clothes etc, but no "real" clothes. 

I found a pattern for a dress:

(KwikSew 2473).  I like style B, and it does not look to hard to sew.  Smiley

The following fabrics are recommended:
The dresses are designed for light to medium weight woven and firm knit fabrics.   We suggest cotton, cotton blends, silk, rayon, rayon blends, linen types, crepe, shantung or double knit.

So my question is:  Can I use a cotton velour for this dress?  Its 100% cotton with 25% stretch across the grain.  Do you think that would work out, or am I starting a hopeless project?
If not, what other fabric would you recommend?  What is the easiest fabric to start sewing with, that at the same time would look good with this pattern?  (The selection of fabric where I live (Norway) is small and very expensive, so Im getting my fabric from Fabric.com or Wazoodle.com)

I hope some of you talented people can help me!  I am so impressed with the beautiful clothes you make! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006 06:12:00 AM »

I think velour would be lovely.  Stretch fabrics can be tricky to sew (I'm tackling my first stretch project now!), but I think if you have some patience it will work out for you.  Be sure you use a ball point needle!  If you're concerned, you could try it first with a cheap woven fabric (cotton or a cotton/poly blend) for practice and to see how the pattern fits you.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006 06:16:03 AM »

I think it'll work, but I'm kind of reckless with this sort of hting. Wink Remember to get your tension adjusted right in addition to using a ball point needle. Cut yourself a few bits and sew some straight seams making sure that your machine doesn't chew up the fabric or do something else weird before you touch anything that's part of the actual dress. Stretchy knits bite me in the rear end if I don't do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tingeling
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 03:42:06 PM »

Thank you kemartin2 and Miss Violaceous!   Smiley Smiley Thats great advice, I had certainly used the wrong needle if I hadnt asked about the fabric!

Ill go for the velour then - Ill post some pics when its ready.  (If the results doesnt end up too embarrasing  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006 05:46:37 PM »

I think you'll have more trouble with the velour crawling than with it stretching...just my 2 cents.  I do think that the pattern will look nice in velour though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie Recipe
Whole-Grain Buttermilk Triple Berry Pancake Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
The Legendary Brown Hotel Hot Brown
Kentucky Derby Bourbon Balls Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...