A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mccall's pattern 3979 View A- Smock Pocket Apron  (Read 3249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2006 09:20:05 PM »

I'm looking for anyone that's made View A from 3979, it's the half apron with the adorable contrasting waistband and pocket. -I'm working on it now, with the only modifications being adding the curvy bottom and an extra pocket from View B.

I'm still not positive about one thing: does the waistband actually fold over when worn (if you didn't, you'd have this weird, high, pointy-up waistband? Because that is obviously NOT how I waist the waistband to lay! ) Or am I reading everything completely wrong?

I thought, from the main picture, that the gathered fabric was sewn directly to the pointy (bottom, I thought) of the waistband. But the drawing and directions clearly shows the point facing up (it's self-faced, so the folding-down makes sense, but in terms of utility, and looking good, I just don't get it.

Oh- and the ties are not self faced, so I don't get how you can fold down the smock but have the ties not show their wrong sides!  Huh

If anyone could please help un-befuddle me, it would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006 09:21:49 PM by Nutella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006 10:05:52 PM »

I looked at the pattern online and I see what you mean.  The picture does clearly show it w/ point down, but if you look at the back of the emvelope it clearly shows the point up.  I would imagine that the one in the picture is done incorrectly.  I think, though, that if you don't want the point up that you could just turn the whole thing the other way and sew it down...  i.e. it doesn't look like it's folded down, it looks like it's sewn on upside down, so just do that.

I looked at a reivew online and they didn't seem to have any problems, though no one had done view A.  One did say that she cut 4 of the ties and faced them so there wouldn't be any raw edges, you could also just do that if you've got enough fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
Nutella

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006 11:44:36 PM »

Thanks CraftyCoug!

I've gone ahead and cut 2 extra of the ties- I had enough fabric so I can face those.  Smiley Since I cut the bottom to curve like view B, perhaps it'll look fine, but I can't imagine that it'd be straight across with the point the View A way... I'm just confounded!

I understad the general concept of folding the top over, it seems like there was just miscommunication between designer and construction. I wish there was a *photo* of the back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
paroper
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 08:42:28 AM »

It must fold down kind of like a cuff.  I think you are right. If you notice on the back of the pattern it extends clearly with edges above the apron strings.  I think that is what they are trying to tell you in the picture (that it folds down). 

It is not uncommon to make dresses out of cotton and just hem the ties.  It makes for a crisper bow than having a heavy lined ties.  There was a time when aprons were made with very wide strings so that when you tied the bow it would be big and fuffy.  You'd spread the bow out to make it more so...there is a great Sandra Dee picture where she bends over to take a pie out of the oven in one of these aprons that was made of organza.  The bow is huge.  I don't rembember the name of the picture but I'll never forget that look. 

In the 50's and 60's if you had a party where you entertained and served food, the hostess always wore a lovely apron, very decorative.  Women always dressed well in the kitchen and work work aprons when doing day to day work.  My mother had two stashes of aprons, one for entertaining..some complete with all kinds of decorations for holiday entertaining and then she kept her work aprons in another stash.  The aprons shown in this packet would have been work aprons that you would have worn over your dress when working in the kitchen daily.  You'd always fix your hair and makeup and put on a fresh apron for your husband when he came home from work.  Since we didn't do laundry often and it was expensive and sometimes done by hand, the aprons were used to protect the dresses that were worn.  As we got to a point that the washers were electric we started wearing fewer aprons.  There were also gauntlet type covers that were often used over the lower portion of the sleeves.  They would tie or have elastic at the wrist and elbows.  By the time I came along though, most women who worked wore shorter sleeves and these weren't used as often.  My grandmother was a rancher.  She didn't entertain much.  She wore certain aprons out to work with the cattle and then she'd change aprons when she came in the house.  She used the aprons for gathering eggs and all kinds of things, even carrying newborn calves in her apron.  Mom's used aprons for everything...even blowing noses, or wiping sweat from their faces. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006 09:58:39 AM »

Thanks Paroper.

Hm... thinking. Haven't lined the ties yet. It has such an obvious back on this fabric I think I will... just on this one (it's a really bright fabric). If it were light, I'd think about not lining it - you're right, the crisp huge hostess apron bow is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nutella

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006 12:57:09 PM »

I wanted to follow up on this pattern. I think that perhaps I made a couple errors in reading the pattern. I will go back and re-read before my next attempt, of course. But the language for View A is definitely somewhat confusing. You know things are not going well when you wish an IKEA technical writer had been consulted!  Wink

For example- in the step that has you pinning and stitching Waistband 4 to the apron body, it says "press seam allowance toward waistband" - I'd really like to know *which* seam allowance! I can rationalize either the waistband or the apron, and I did both, but it sure wasn't clear. I would guess that they mean the apron's seam allowance, but for the first time they're showing the seam allowance of the waistband folded under (it doesn't tell you to press it under before stitching the apron to it).

As for the fold-over aspect of the waistband that I was questioning above, yes it is like a cuff! And next time I make this, I will make it significantly higher -I want it to fold over completely. In this version I had already made it ~1" longer because I didn't want to fuss with pleating the apron ties (I double faced them instead of leaving them single sided).  As you can see in my picture, it didn't quite make it. I guess I should have taken a pleat anyways!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006 01:15:53 PM »

They were telling you to press all seam allowances toward the waistband.  They probably also told you to trim that allowance...if not, they should have.  This would eliminate extra bulk AND it would put the seam allowances in a position to be hidden within the waistband.  The object of the game is to make the garment so pretty inside that you wouldn't mind wearing it wrong side out.  In the case of something like an apron you are dealing with a gament that may often be seen from the wrong side. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006 02:01:05 PM »

they probably also told you to trim that allowance...if not, they should have.

They definitely didn't do that! Harumph. Lazy pattern writers!

I totally agree on the 'make it as pretty from the inside" concept- that's one aspect of this pattern that I do like, the cuff style for the top makes the inside look quite nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006 02:41:17 PM »

well i for one think the apron came out nicely. i love your fabric/color choice and now i want to make one for myself! my best friend and i have always wanted to make aprons to be 50's housewives for halloween Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
Nutella

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006 11:28:07 AM »

Thanks hgflower! I was really lucky- those two selections were just the right amount of fabric and were in two different sides of the sale section at the fabric store!

I like all of the patterns in 3979, especially the full aprons.

If you decide to make View A or B, I highly recommend going with B, and borrowing the pocket from A (instead of the dishtowel and square-ish pocket) The curvy bottom is just so fun!

My sweetie and I are going to be "Your Parents" for Halloween, so next up on my cutting table is a full apron! I think I'll be making a pinafore style for the tie-one-on challenge. 5 days is enough time, right?!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Dress
What Is Glass Art
What to Do If Thread Is Caught in Your Sewing Machine
The History of Hand Blown Glass
How to Make Better Flower Arrangements
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...