A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gradient Dyeing of handspun yarn  (Read 1820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

C4G
« on: September 17, 2006 03:42:24 PM »

I want to dye my spun yarn so that it gradually darkens in shade-from white to the darkest shade of color possible. Anyone know how to do this? I saw it once in a book somewhere but I be darned I cannot remember more than that.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bixby2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006 11:12:30 PM »

If you are looking to dye it in different shades of one color, like from white to dark green, that is called omber.  It is basicaly layering the dye by dipping the item in the dye over and over.  When I was dying clothes that way I would prepare the dye in a pan on a hotplate and wet the item.  Then you slowly dip the item into the dye all the way in, leaving the white end sticking out.  Leave it there for a minute or two and then pull it up.  Repeat the dipping process, but each time you dip less and less of the item into the dye.  When it is all done it will be white on one end and dark on the other.  Be carefull when you rinse the item that you don't accidentaly rinse the dye into the white area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
C4G
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006 04:36:26 AM »

So you would do this with an active dye bath IE: with acid dye it would be with vinegar and at the temp to make the dye active?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bixby2
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 07:40:07 AM »

yep.  Specificaly I was using RIT dye powder.  It is all in one dye and dyes silk, cotton and wool very nicely.  I was dying 8+ yards of those kinds of fabric at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
C4G
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006 08:24:28 AM »

yep.  Specificaly I was using RIT dye powder.  It is all in one dye and dyes silk, cotton and wool very nicely.  I was dying 8+ yards of those kinds of fabric at a time.

Great! Thanks for your info on this!

Laters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulicat
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006 05:59:46 PM »

Also interesting, but different from gradient dyeing is to do studies in shading by carding differing proportions of white and then black wool into one feature colour. It's satisfying to see how the tones change just by adding white or black.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
C4G
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006 06:24:00 PM »

Also interesting, but different from gradient dyeing is to do studies in shading by carding differing proportions of white and then black wool into one feature colour. It's satisfying to see how the tones change just by adding white or black.

Yep, but that is  a whole lotta more work when you don't have a drum carder.  Shocked Easier to just dye and card, or dye and dry when it comes to already spun yarn.  Wink

Laters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an International Ransom Video
How to Cry Convincingly on Stage
How to Direct Actors
How to Digitize Super 8mm
How to Edit Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...