A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Designing the Mother of All Knitting Bags  (Read 4711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 28, 2004 11:48:43 AM »

I'm planning on sewing myself a bag to put all my knitting in, but I don't want just a regular tote.  So I was wondering, what would everyone want in a knitting bag?

I'm thinking lots of organizer pockets.  I don't want to finish it and think, "oh, I wish I had a pocket for that," or whatever. 

So I thought I'd just leave it open to you guys for ideas.  Anything I definitely can't leave out? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lutheranchick
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004 01:03:15 PM »

Handles that didn't hurt your hands. Some of the flat wooden ones eventually start cutting into your palms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
gloriana
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004 07:21:18 AM »

when I made mine, I did custom pockets on the inside for my big needles (17s, 19s, 35s) - the ones that don't fit comfortably into the roll-up needle case that holds the rest of my needles.  just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
k8e592
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004 07:29:47 AM »

I'm making my own too!!! Tired of looking for one that wasn't REALLY overpriced...or something my Aunt Gertrude would carry...

I'm planning on an interior zippered pockets to hold the current project yarn...with a grommet on the side of the pocket to run the yarn through so my strands don't get tangled.....

Has anyone completed their own tote yet?...May we see them?/..Pretty please??

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysium
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004 08:47:55 AM »

I saw another tote on crafster that someone made for their knitting, and they had this great idea. They put in little strips of fabric, about an inch wide. One side was sewn onto the bag and the other undid with a snap. The idea was to thread the yarn through there while knitting from out of the tote.

Did that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004 09:44:37 AM »

That was mine!  Here's a link to it
The advantage of the snap open things over grommets is that you can open them up and detatch it (good if you want to carry around a different project for a little while). 
Features I think you should have:
1) a big flat pocket for your pattern
2) a small notions bag that attaches to the bigger knitting bag, but can be removed
3) little snap open deals for yarn guides
4) a slot or two for spare needles
5) a zippered pocket
6) another pocket for purse type stuff so that you can find your keys/wallet/whatever without rooting through your yarn
7) a large main compartment big enough for a sweater sized project. - it should have some kind of closure, even if it's just a snap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004 10:16:07 AM »

DOOD I would want extra padding at the bottom or like something durable that the needles cant poke through... i always end up getting stabbed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004 12:43:16 PM »

I'm making my own too!!! Tired of looking for one that wasn't REALLY overpriced...or something my Aunt Gertrude would carry...

No kidding.  Flowery quilted bags...yuck. 

Melidomi, your bag is awesome and so are your ideas.  I'm still in the planning stages, so that helped me out a ton. 

DOOD I would want extra padding at the bottom or like something durable that the needles cant poke through... i always end up getting stabbed!

Ha ha, I wouldn't have even thought of that.  Mostly I just use circulars, but just in case...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004 04:45:55 PM »

Maybe have the interior made out of clear vinyl, with pockets also made out CV? That way you can see your yarns and projects and they stay dry and organized even if you should be caught in a rainstorm while awaiting public transportation.

I know that I too recently went on a search for a knitting bag. I ended up taking an old abused Janesport backpack and turned it into a totebag of sorts (which rocked because the leather bottom keeps the needles from poking out... I had that problem too artistrachelmarie Grin). Mine doesn't have any pockets (I was too impatient to try and sew any in, just wanting a place to secure my stuff away from the questing unraveling hands of my 2yo), so my next project is a needle keeper. To keep my yarns dry and safe they currently live in ziploc bags of multi sizes depending on the skein size.

But if I had a larger budget (like money to actually buy new materials to make stuff from) and madder skills than I currently posses, I'd make a CV hat box bag (that made no sense... a bag shaped like a hat box w/ a zipper made from Clear Vinyl) big enough to carry a single project, the needles for that project, the pattern for that project, and a pair of scissors in a case. I say clear vinyl because people and jobs are weird nowadays about being able to see inside your purse for weapons (I worked at a place where you had to have a clear purse so that they could see that you weren't stealing stuff). Though I have found when I have a clear bag of knitting on my lap, people around me become transfixed with watching me knit- like mass hypnosis... which is why I again vote for clear vinyl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Jera
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004 08:54:38 AM »

http://www.purloneknitone.com/
 I think their totes are ideal for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stage a Hit and Run Using Special Effects
How to Make a Head Explode Using a Green Screen
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: Hugo
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: My Week With Marilyn
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: J. Edgar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...