A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 528
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Post Photos of Your Tattoos! (Closed! See new thread!)  (Read 936016 times)
Tags for this thread: tattoo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2310 on: March 14, 2006 04:39:01 PM »

the local tattoo shop says they do not tattoo hands...Why is that?

Could be for a number of reasons. When I got my first tattoo done 7 years ago, my artist told me it was illegal in the state of Maine [where I had it done] to tattoo someone's hands, feet, genitals or above the collarbones. It is my understanding that a lot of shops don't do hand tattoos because there are a large number of blood vessels in the hands. I also found this explanation:

They may tattoo your neck and hands IF you already have a lot of coverage. Do not expect to be able to get your first tattoo on your knuckles at a reputable shop!

There are certain areas of the body where the skin does not cooperate well with tattoos over time, notably the fingers, toes and feet. Hands are constantly exposed to the sun, scuffing and rubbing on things, likewise the feet and toes rub on shoes. This means the skin is tougher in these areas and constantly regenerating so it is likely the tattoo will fade fairly quickly. It will need to be touched up on a regular basis. It may not seem like a problem at first, but on your fifth redo, you might begin to wish you hadn't bothered!
at http://www.heartnsoultattoo.com/faq.htm

edited to add
I've been searching google trying to find something to give a solid reason, and most quotes I have found is that it's a business judgement. A tattoo on the hand is likely to look bad quickly, given the reasons above, or more likely to cause disatisfaction on the part of the client. Unhappy clients and badly wearing tattoos are not good business for the artists. Makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006 04:53:18 PM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
fruithead
« Reply #2311 on: March 14, 2006 05:02:03 PM »

there's a place in toronto that won't tattoo face, neck or hands on anyone under 30 unless you're in the industry just because they're places that you can't easily hide if you regret. i respect that. i think tattoo shops are all entitled to their own quirky rules and morals. my tattoo artist refuses to tattoo lover's names. i think that's a great rule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ronise

Made in Brazil.

View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: March 14, 2006 05:48:10 PM »

my tattoo artist refuses to tattoo lover's names. i think that's a great rule.

it's brilliant. all tattoo artists should do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2313 on: March 14, 2006 06:01:54 PM »

The shop I go to has similar policies (re not tattooing certain areas) and they have an "explination of policies" sheet on their front counter. (I would imagine the better shops do)They give philosophical and artistic explinations and I was totally cool with that. They are the ones who know what works well and what does not - it's nice to know that your shop is looking out for you and not just trying to make a quick buck.
The only reason my artist agreed to giving me my husbands name was he knew us - knew were married etc., he usually does not do names for BF GF etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
craft_t_chic
« Reply #2314 on: March 14, 2006 07:20:33 PM »

That's a great rule...it's my own personal rule, but great that other people are being looked out for too!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy .com
evolpixie

"I am like a tiger colt, rip rip RIP RIP!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2315 on: March 14, 2006 10:06:29 PM »

my tattoo artist refuses to tattoo lover's names. i think that's a great rule.

it's brilliant. all tattoo artists should do that!

my boyfriend is a tattooist and he says its pretty much a jinx. sometimes it seems like a last ditch effort in a relationship to show dedication...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i peddle tiny cuteness: * www.tinythingsarecu te.com *
Inna
« Reply #2316 on: March 15, 2006 08:55:33 AM »

Updates!!!!

Here is the second sitting of my DH's newest work in progress.
April 20th is my appointment for mine from this artist - I can't wait to see what he has drawn for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
meowari
« Reply #2317 on: March 15, 2006 09:58:22 AM »

Hick- that's a really nice tattoo and all, but are you really only 15?!?!!! I think that it's disgusting that someone tattooed you so young, even with your dad's permission! I'm sitting here, awestruck that a professional tattoo artist would do that... Did you get it done in a shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #2318 on: March 15, 2006 10:31:11 AM »

Hick- that's a really nice tattoo and all, but are you really only 15?!?!!! I think that it's disgusting that someone tattooed you so young, even with your dad's permission! I'm sitting here, awestruck that a professional tattoo artist would do that... Did you get it done in a shop?

I tried to tell some people I know that are well under 18 that the good tattoo shops won't just give anyone a tattoo (even if they have permission). Shops that don't care about age aren't usually good shops...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2319 on: March 15, 2006 12:04:21 PM »

age is only a number.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 528 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Stencils from Freezer Paper
Earth Day Crafts for Kids
How to Make a Triangle Fold Room Card
How to Understand Crochet Stitch Counts
Gourd Farming for Art and Culture
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...