A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 528
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Post Photos of Your Tattoos! (Closed! See new thread!)  (Read 938437 times)
Tags for this thread: tattoo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starpiste
« Reply #1260 on: September 08, 2005 10:00:01 AM »

I'm going for a consult today. I'll be adding more stars to my back like the ones in my avatar and my birthdate on the Julian calendar in Latin. I am having thoughts about changing the date to another one that is more recent and really important to me but for more complex reasons. I keep having thoughts that my birthday is kind of silly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fruithead
« Reply #1261 on: September 08, 2005 10:45:27 AM »

i've always wondered about the popularity of having one's birthdate tattooed. i knew a group of guys who all had their initials and b-days tattooed on them and they all seemed sort of ridiculous and i used to make the stupid joke of "is that in case you forget?". but i suppose you've got your reasons and i'm sure yours would be much more tastefully done than these. at least it's a date you won't regret having tattooed whereas another date you could live to regret, just in case it becomes a bad memory. for instance, the date you are married, if you got divorced it'd just be a really painful tattoo, i think.

but what is the reasoning with a birthdate tattoo, if you don't mind me asking? am i missing something? i hope this doesn't sound critical, starpiste, i'm genuinely just curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #1262 on: September 08, 2005 11:42:26 AM »

I honestly don't know which is why I'm hesitating. I really like how it visually works but in theory but it does seem kind of silly.

The other date I was thinking of was a date just a few months ago that's the day I returned from a year living in England where I can't wait to return and plan and moving to. It's also the day my father died so it would be a memorial of sorts. I guess the date was really a major turning point for me in a lot of way. Also, I feel the process of this tattoo is a bit of a memorial in general becasue I haven't had work done in about three years and my dad always wanted a tattoo but never got one.

I think my only problem with this is how to explain it when people ask what it says. It will look like a bunch of random letters and it's on my back so not always hidden. hmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grrrromit

The eggstraordinary life of Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: September 08, 2005 12:12:16 PM »

here's my first one. I also have a nautical star armband and a leo symbol on my tricep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maplestory! Windia forever! Hunt me down, I'm MingyDingus! Smiley
fruithead
« Reply #1264 on: September 08, 2005 12:18:00 PM »

i think a memorial to your dad is much more meaningful than your b-day, especially since he wanted a tattoo himself. and since that date has a second meaning, it's even better.

when people ask what it means, you could always says it a memorial to your dad or a family thing or just tell them it was an important day if your life.

but, like any tattoo, it's entirely your decision as just has to be something you'll always be happy with.

by the way, are the numbers/dates in latin very different. i've been contemplating a memorial tattoo but didn't want dates unless they don't really look like dates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #1265 on: September 08, 2005 01:03:15 PM »

Latin dates are really different. They used a whole different language and calendar. Their way of doing dates is very different from us.

So basically my Birthday is January 9th 1982. In the Julian calendar date it works out to December 27, 1981, But in Latin with the roman dating system it's ANTE DIEM SEXTUM KALENDIS IANUARIUS 2716 AUC. But that's really long so I'm using standard latin abbreviations so it'll look like: VI K IAN MDCCXV11 with little dots between the words/letters. (You could take the year out and it would be a lot shorter. I could figure out your date so you can see what it looks like if you want)

I think the other date is a lot more emotional so it's a bit scary to memorialize it. Also, it'll require a whole bunch more translating.  Wink

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005 01:17:17 PM by starpiste » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fruithead
« Reply #1266 on: September 08, 2005 01:12:54 PM »

that's definitely much better than regular old dates. i think it'd make for an awesome tattoo. i'm not sure which date i'd want to memorialize (something with my grandparents but not sure if i want their b-days or maybe something like their anniversary since they were married 55+ years) but if i decided i'd definitely consider the way you're going. it's so much more interesting than getting your b-day tattooed the regular way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #1267 on: September 08, 2005 01:19:37 PM »

thanks for all the feedback fruithead. I'll definately have some pics once the piece is done.

(and I'm a classics major and I was studying in England and spend time in Italy so the Latin connection is really important to me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ViolentViolet
« Reply #1268 on: September 08, 2005 01:35:41 PM »

This thread kicks ass.Lots of good tats.Im lucky about the parents I got.Dad has 55 tattoos,Mom has around 25 now.When I can get my evil cam to work I will post some of all of us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I just love her man,Hey what are you doing with that brick?"

http://www.wists.com/EvaBlack
mayerlove
« Reply #1269 on: September 08, 2005 06:23:09 PM »

grrrrromit- i can't see your pic and i really want to! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 528 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Godzilla - Pixelmator
How to Create a Blurred Background - Pixelmator
How to Create a Glossy Menu - Pixelmator
How to Create Wavy Lines - Illustrator
How to Create Brushes Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...