A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,179
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cover issues  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rowdygirl
« on: September 16, 2006 07:18:56 PM »

I've been making books for quite a while and just started having this problem where my cover has little tiny rips at the fold. I've done everything I can think of to make it not happen. I've made my cover in three pieces, front, back, and spine with a gutter to accomodate the fold, bone folding, not bone folding. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?

oh, I am using regular scrapbook paper and it's happened with several different brands.

Here are some photos.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chubby Pixie
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006 09:51:12 AM »

Have you tried making your gutters wider?
Do you use endsheets?

I love the way you bind your books.  I work for a company that makes books and we often make sample books or small runs by hand.  I'd be interested to see how you construct the inside.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowdygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006 02:57:54 PM »

I will work on another one tonight and make my gutters wider, I made them 1/16" on this book, maybe an 1/8" would fix it, but it seemed really wide when I was laying it out. I will take some pictures to show you also. Thanks for the suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emalicious78
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 02:01:30 PM »

i am sure this is a ridiculous question, but is the paper fully dry when you start binding? i had that problem last night and it was bc i was too excited to wait...otherwise, have you tried using fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome." Albert Einstein

www.subu.etsy.com
visit often. buy a lot.
Chubby Pixie
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006 03:55:20 PM »

Another thing I forgot to mention was paper grain.  The grain of the paper should run along the spine.  Folding paper across the grain can cause cracking. I know we've had problems with that before.  Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowdygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006 06:25:29 PM »

i am sure this is a ridiculous question, but is the paper fully dry when you start binding?

I never wet my paper. I just use super 90 spray adhesive or rubber cement if i'm to lazy to go outside and use the spray. We used wheat paste and PVA in my book binding class last semester and I thought it was a hassle because it just made the paper wrinkle and it was so much work to smooth it out. Plus, it was messy.  Super 90 is a much easier solution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowdygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006 06:39:59 PM »

Okay, here's how I put my covers together for a long stitch book.

sorry about the excessive blur in the middle picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Makeover Your Work Wardrobe
Pulling Off a Glamorous Look
Will Katy Perry Be Designing A Clothing Line?
3 Denim Dresses You Need Now
DIY Fashion: How to Create Ombre Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...