A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swirly Glass Bottles  (Read 3187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

longstory
« on: September 16, 2006 03:38:39 PM »

These are so much fun to make it's addictive.  All i did was take clear & empty glass bottles, squirt acrylic paint inside, replace the cap, and SHAKE!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/frenchhornfreak/P9161041.jpg
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011 08:18:10 AM by LimeRiot - Reason: converted broken images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No that's trendy!' Billie Joe Armstrong
mintbamboo
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006 03:52:05 PM »

ooh i really like the big one!

ive been wanting to do this for quite a while, not with glass bottles but with something else clear. havent quite decided what haha.

very nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
basketcase93
Yo soy del unicornio.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006 04:51:40 PM »

That's pretty darn sweet. I have to agree that the big one is awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bitches get stuff DONE!" - Tina Fey

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dal
Bettie

* some girls have glitter in their veins*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006 05:17:56 PM »

wow thats a great idea! i have so many empty bottles i collect, now i have something to do with them, oh and i love your quote longstory..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well behaved women rarely make history...
longstory
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006 05:25:19 PM »

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No that's trendy!' Billie Joe Armstrong
brittany
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006 07:09:31 PM »

those look really cool. my mom and i did that a few years back with those clear glass chrstmas tree bulbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintbamboo
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006 08:20:50 PM »

so i finally got around to trying this tonight... how did you get that big one to look so nice? haha it was much more difficult than i thought. any tips you might consider giving?

i used a glass coke bottle, so i had a narrow neck and then it got wide and then it narrowed a bit towards the bottom, and the bottom flared out a bit. this made it difficult to squirt paint into it. i mixed up a lovely batch of turqoise first, then poured it in, then squirted some blue and white and black, put on the cap and gave it a shake. it basically turned out all turqoiuse. so i added a bit of water to thin it, didnt help. i poured the paint back into a cup, rinsed out the bottle, then tried squirting the white and blue and black into the cup of turqoise and mixing it just slightly. it looked swirly, then when i repeated the put-in-bottle-and-shake routine (this time lightly shaking, more rolling) it still turned out turqoise. again, i rinsed. then, i repeated what i did the last time, and when i got the bottle turquoise, i took a paintbrush, poured a bunch of paint on it (one color at a time), and put the brush in the bottle and attempted to kind of 'paint' it from the inside (the narrow neck and width changes made this very difficult). but i managed to get a bit of the swirly action i wanted. so i finished up. haha.

but yeah, any advise you might want to share? id like to try it again, definately with a different kind of bottle.

but heres a tip from me for anyone else who wants to try it: it you dont like the way it turned out, dump out the excess paint, fill the bottle halfway with water, add a few shakes of salt (or im  sure sand would work) and shake it. pour out the water, and most, if not all, of the paint should be removed from the sides. just give it another rinse and its clean! the salt is abbrasive and really helps to remove the paint, as continuously rinsing it with water is not effectice, nor is it quick, and its a waste of water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
Kensey
Aquaman

Now your sitting on the corner and your all ate up

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006 05:58:39 AM »

you can actually also do it with the clear christmas ornaments you get at craft stores. the tops come out and go rightt back in. you can put paint in there, and not shake it, just roll it around some. it gets a really pretty effect. when your done you can just drain the excess paint out and put the tops back on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i have a dream of a scene between the green hills
clouds pull away and the sunlights revealed
people don't talk about keeping it real (its understood that they actually will)
and intoxicated and stimulated emcees staring through the trees, paranoid, are gone with the breeze...
longstory
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006 09:18:48 AM »

mintbamboo - one thing that might help is doing the colors one at a time

just be sure that you dont add to much of the first color, because after shaking and rolling, it may cover the entire inside surface

if it would help.. you can let each color dry separetly too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karmikins
Danyell Wilbur of H&C Boutique

Turn on, tune in, drop out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006 09:34:13 AM »

Oh! I've done this with Christmas tree ornaments before, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Karmikins: Because Knowing is Half the Battle
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Maxi Dresses for Spring
Coachella Style Guide With Alessandra Ambrosio
Music Festival Fashion Must Haves on a Budget
We Spy: Will You Wear the Socks With Sandals Trend?
How to Update Your Spring Wardrobe on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...