A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Over the knee cabled leg warmers from Knit 1....anyone game?  (Read 16152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Runs with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006 11:42:42 AM »

I tried it w/ Lamb's Pride Bulky and my gauge was pretty close.  I just want mine to be machine washable. Undecided

I'm the deadliest woman in the world [with knitting needles].
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006 11:44:46 AM »

Just figured out that I don't have that needle!!! Killing me to decide if I can wait until tomorrow to get it. Tongue

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006 01:17:21 PM »

From what I gather you can use an extra needle (preferably DPN) instead of a cable needle. I'm attempting cables right now and they are right clumsy.

If I can get that issue in the UK, I'd like to take a crack at it.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006 09:25:14 AM »

For those who are using circs rather than DPN's, where did you buy them?  Your LYS or someplace like Jo Ann's?  I bought my yarn but they didn't have the circs I needed.  I could just use DPN's but I avoid those as much as possible.  That's partly why I've avoided socks for so long....

It's your life, you can decorate it as you like ~ ben folds five
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006 09:33:39 AM »

I've never seen a circ smaller than 16" at a typical craft store, or even my LYS...that is why I was surprised that the pattern called for such a small circ. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and go with the DPN's...or peruse online retailers for the needles...you might be able to find them there.

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006 09:36:05 AM »

I've decided to use this pattern to make legwarmers for my sister for Christmas.  She wanted pink and black, so I decided to make stripes.  This pattern doesn't lend itself to stripes, so I'm just eliminating the cables and knitting the stitches straight across.

I'm using 4 (well, 5) dpn in size 10 because that was the closest I had.  The yarn is just acrylic Red Heart.

However, I'm not very good at remembering (or even caring) to do gauge swatches, and I just realized that the yarn called for is thicker than what I'm using.  Should I have cast on more stitches?  Should I use an even bigger needle?  I'm only about 4 inches in, and it seems like it would be big enough to wear.  My sister has much skinnier legs than me, so it should fit her.  I'm probably just freaking out over nothing, but I don't want to finish the first one and realize that it doesn't fit.  Especially considering that with the stripes, I won't be able to re-knit it easily (due to color changes).

Comments?  Suggestions?  Reassurance?  Anything?

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006 09:42:24 AM »

Your gauge is most likely off if you aren't using the same yarn weight, so whether it will fit or not is a big question. You won't be able to tell after just 4" if it will fit. Your best bet is to try to match gauge. I would take a pair of straight needles in the same size you are using and some yarn from the other side of the skein and do a quick gauge swatch. If it is off by a LOT, you know you have a problem, but just a little bit shouldn't be a huge deal with this pattern. 

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006 09:50:59 AM »

Oooh, I do have some size 10 straight needles, so I can do my gauge swatch with that when I get home.  For some reason I blanked out on the fact that I do have straight ones in the same size.  Thanks!  *crosses fingers that it isn't too far off*

~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006 05:01:09 AM »

I ordered some Addi Turbos in 12".  Hey, you gotta splurge sometime, right?

It's your life, you can decorate it as you like ~ ben folds five
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006 06:07:47 AM »

After testing gauge, I found that I have 17 sts/20 rows per 4".  Eek.  However, my thought is that since it's just a legwarmer, it's probably okay that I'm 1 stitch off for the 'columns'.  That would just mean that it would be a tad smaller around, right?  My sis does have pretty skinny legs, and I don't think it would be off too much.  As far as the rows go, I'm measuring it as I go (since I'm doing stripes), so it should turn out the right length, just more rows in that length.

Of course, now I'm just rationalizing the fact that I didn't use my brain and do a swatch ahead of time....

Hopefully I will take pics tonight.  =)

*edit to say "smaller" instead of bigger.  yay for not being able to do math.*

Hmmm... After doing the calculations, being 1 stitch off makes it about 2/3 of a inch smaller around.  I hope that's not a big deal.

Note to self:  Stop freaking out about this.  It'll be fine.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006 07:02:51 AM by Amalas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear on a City Break
Spring Style: Ripped Denim Jacket
We Spy: Spring Break Style Regrets
5 Stylish Easter Outfit Ideas for Kids
How to Wear the A-Line Denim Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...