A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: funky skirt -- i wonder....  (Read 447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrspilkingtonknits
« on: September 15, 2006 04:54:25 PM »

i think this is adorable, and i've been trying to figure out how it's constructed.  what do you guys think?  is this just a basic tiered skirt with layers?  i can't figure out how one might do the front -- ruching with ribbon?  a drawstring?
you can tell that i'm such a beginner that i have no business wondering how to make something like this! Roll Eyes

https://www.modernchild.net/index2.php?pid=179&cid=21

http://www.flickr.com/mrspilkington
http://www.wists.com/mrspilkington
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006 06:48:53 PM »

Make a tiered circle skirt (aka broomstick skirt) with seams showing outwards (you might want to hem each seam first for a more finished look) and then put two casings right next to each other down the front of each thigh.  Thread the ribbon through (if you leave the bottoms open it makes this easier, then you can just handsew the ribbons to the bottom of the casings if you want them to be more secure).

Oh and by casings, I mean sew some extra fabric a bit wider than your ribbon to where you want the drawstring to be.  It might be easier to place these so they end on the top of a layer otherwise you will have to put in two button holes for the ribbon to come out through.  It's up to you if you put one on each side or one for each ribbon end (either 2 or 4 basically). 

For the underskirt bit thats showing underneath, when you attach the bottom tier attach that at the same seam, but put it on the inside of the tier above. That way the drawstring wont lift the outer layer above the underskirt.

I have a similar grey skirt with just 1 drawstring off to one side that I almost lived in last summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrspilkingtonknits
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006 05:15:13 AM »

wow, you are good!  thanks so much -- such a clear explanation.  your skirt sounds very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Banana Cake with Coconut Gelato and Peanut Brittle
How to Make Coconut Brownie Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
Bulldog Pupcake
Coca-Cola Frosting
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...