A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I can't hold yarn properly?  (Read 1264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eenodol
« on: September 15, 2006 01:26:14 PM »

Hello!  I've been teaching myself how to crochet over the past week and I think it's going pretty well.  The only thing I'm having trouble with, and A LOT of trouble, is holding the yarn in my left hand.  I can't seem to figure out quite how to hold it so I have the right tension and it flows properly.  I feel like I have to keep adjusting my hand all the time.  I've found lots of good information of stitches and everything else, I just can't find anywhere just showing me how to hold the yarn.

If anyone can help, my wrist and I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy - home of the cat hat!  also dog hats, amigurumis, crochet patterns, hippie clothes, all kinds of good stuff!  check it out Smiley

My new blog.  Crochet, recipes, whatever.
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006 03:25:15 PM »

What I do is wrap it around my index finger and use use that finger to yarn over. when I run out, I wrap more (usually after finishing a dc) and it keeps my tension pretty even. the rest of the yarn goes over the back of my hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
funkyflower
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006 12:14:16 AM »

eenodol I was shocked that my normal crochet sites seem to skip this part too (i just went to check for you)
http://www.powderroom.net/page.php?pageID=390&title=Crochet
there's a description and a picture there!

shewolf, one should be able to have freeflow of the yarn... makes crocheting a lot lot speedier...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 07:43:55 AM »

you know funkyflower I hold my yarn the same way that pic shows and for some reason my yarn still gets tight and I have to keep adjusting it so now I just put it around my first finger and go from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
roquemoma
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006 10:07:32 AM »

I've found that it depends on the yarn I'm using whether I just wrap it over my index finger, or whether I wrap it over both my index finger and my pinky.  Fuzzier yarn requires one finger, skinnier or smoother yarn needs both.  Also, I assume you've wound your yarn into a ball- it sometimes works to crochet from the skein but the yarn gets hung up and doesn't flow as well as from a ball.  And make sure the ball itself isn't sitting in a spot that has a lot of friction.  Where the ball of yarn is located in relation to your body can make a big difference in how well the yarn flows, I've found it's usually best to let the yarn sit on the floor.  If you don't want hairs and carpet fuzz to get worked into it, set it inside a bowl or plastic storage container.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StitchLuva
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006 01:16:32 PM »

i too wrap the yarn around my index finger and readjust as i go.  i have tried many times to hold the yarn the way the books show you but i cannot control the tension that way, so i give up.  what ever works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dess
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006 01:21:47 PM »

I'm a leftie, so any illustrations I find make things difficult! I've always just winged it.. My pinkie gets used a lot more than I think, and I am constantly having to re-adjust... It works out eventually..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADHD - quite possibly the worst thing for a crafter!!!
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006 01:43:20 PM »

I can't wrap around my pinkie; it always falls off.  I wrap inbetween pinkie and ring, across the tops of my two middles, and over the top of my index.  To tighten, I raise my index, to loosen I lower. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
spunkyPOPmonkey
Why so blue panda bear?

Get up, dress up, show up, and don't give up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006 02:14:11 PM »

i learned basic crochet (really just sc) from a friends grandmother when i was 9 i kinda left it then i basically taught myself crochet (everything else lol) when i was in highschool and it came pretty easy but i never knew how to hold the string either it took me a while to get comfortable with it because i would always end up with a really loose piece if i held it just over my index finger, so i hold it over my index and over my pinky... heres a few pics

then i hold the work between my thumb and 2 middle fingers... my pinkie isn't held out like my index but just losely next to the other fingers so i can feel the yarn run between my pinkie and ring finger. if i need to hold it tight for a second (like i have to much slack) i push my pinkie against my ring finger and lift my index finger up for a stitch or two

hope it helps...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamamoonie
herbal warfare!

ooooh...bright. need coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006 10:38:56 PM »

If you don't want hairs and carpet fuzz to get worked into it, set it inside a bowl or plastic storage container.

BOWL.  A big Plastic BOWL.  With a LID.  with a hole cut for the YARN to go through so that the (obscenities) wool-eating cat does not try to (more obscenities) eat my working ball.  (insert great obscenities here) Why didn't I think of that?   roquemoma, you are my heroine!!!   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...feed your Head!" --The Doormouse

My personal swap status is officially "on hold till after the big move!"

NH to KS 2007!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Discover Artisan Kettle-Cooked Popcorn
Lemon Blueberry Pancake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...