A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy (raw, vegan) inexpensive breakfast option!  (Read 1094 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , vegan , raw  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 15, 2006 12:53:27 PM »

Okay, so that title might be something of a turn-off, but after whipping up a batch this morning, I HAD to share one of my favorite breakfasty items (I'm not vegan, but I have major food sensitivities that often make it the best way to go for me)

After having something similar at a RAD vegan cafe in Seattle, I had to go home and make my own interpretation...be cause I couldn't afford to keep shelling out $4.50 plus tax every time I wanted this for a snack.

Almond-Oat Porridge

you'll need:
oat groats (whole oats with their hard outer layers still on - often available in bulk at natural food stores) - or you can substitute "steel-cut" oats (look for Irish or Scottish-style oatmeal), where the whole oats have been chopped up a bit, but still have that healthy bran on.

vanilla-flavored almond milk: I use Pacific Foods Almond milk

raw almonds

Agave nectar (or use honey, if you're not a die-hard vegan)

ground cinnamon

vanilla

Soak the oat groats or steel-cut oats overnight in a bowl of water. Expect them to absorb 2-3 times their volume in water, and plan accordingly! I usually soak about 1-2 c. of oats to make enough for 3 people for breakfast, or myself for several breakfasts.

In the morning, drain the water off - I usually put my hand down in the bowl and press the water out. Excess water with your oats will lead to watery flavour, so get rid of it!

In a food processor (or mighty powerful blender), pulse a handful (.75 cup?) of raw almonds until they're like fine meal. You want to avoid making almond butter/paste out of them, though. Add your soaked oats, and a splash of almond milk (start out with 1/3-1/2 cup, as you don't want it to get too watery), and blend until rather smooth and pasty. Add more milk or almonds to adjust the texture.

Add a dollop of honey/agave nectar, a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon, and just a dash of vanilla extract. Blend again to mix flavours, and sample. Adjust flavour to your liking.

To top: I like to top this with freshly chopped fruit, or flaked sweetened coconut. The cafe where I would buy it would marinate a chopped apple and some raisins overnight in agave nectar and cinnamon, then top the porrige with some of that mixture, a few more sliced almonds, a drizzle of agave, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. THis was also good.

The nice thing about this porrige is that it keeps in the fridge for days and days, so I often make up a big batch, and then just grab it whenever I want a light, healthy snack.

hope you like!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006 09:54:38 PM »

yum- sounds good!

Your oatmeal reminds me of a favorite almond milk recipe that I adapted from one that showed up here on Craftster about a year ago.   Semira posted a recipe that I sweetened up with dates instead of raisins, and have also added coffee to.   i think you'd like it... (it would also probably make good ice cream too!)

Coffee Almond Nectar, ala Genesis (a local juice company that had closed shop, leaving us Almond Nectar fans out of luck- until this recipe was perfected)

Cover with hot water, and soak overnight:

* 1 cup of raw organic almonds
        * 5 medjool dates, pitted

Pour dates, almonds, and soaking water into a blender and add more water to bring the liquid level 3/4 of the way up the blender. Blend well grinding the almonds as finely as possible to extract their flavor.

Add:

* one pinch of salt
        * 1 tsp of vanilla
        * 1 tsp of coffee extract, or use brewed
           coffee instead some of the soaking water

Continue blending, tasting the mixture for sweetness levels. Honey can be added to sweeten the nectar.

Strain the mixture through a medium sized sieve, pressing the liquid out of the nut pulp.

The nut pulp can be returned to the blender and ground again with more soaked dates for a second extraction. The resulting product is good, though not quite as flavored as the first extraction.

Strain the liquid through a clean damp cloth for a finer product, squeezing as much of the liquid out as possible. Refrigerate and enjoy!

Ive had success putting the nut pulp through a second extraction, and also using the nut pulp as an additive in baked goods. Add to scones or muffins, and adjust the flour to compensate for the wetness of the pulp. Or for raw foodies- added to oatmeal, or rub into your face for an almond scrub facial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006 10:09:37 PM »

hey, I grew up in Eugene, and I LOVED Genesis. I'm so sad to hear they went out of business! =(

I'm going to have to give that almond nectar a shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
McAuliflower
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006 10:20:18 PM »

small world!

The fda shut them down because they didn't want to heat pasteurize their juices as they wouldn't be raw anymore. 

The have just this summer started production back up.  I can't remember what they use now, but they have some fancy process to "make their juices safe" and fda-acceptable.

One change I've noticed, is that the Almond Nectars are now using sprouted almonds.  They're still difficult to find as they sell out supper fast! Smiley

This recipe was my favorite summer treat- the use of dates for sweetening really made this one pop for my taste buds. 

Darn... I want some now  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006 08:51:46 AM »

I had no idea you were in Eugene too, McAuliflower! I've never heard of Genesis, but googling it, it looks like it probably closed before I moved here in 2004. I'm not a huge fan of almonds but this is intriguing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006 08:54:39 AM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mac Tip: How to use your Mac Trackpad
How to Fold an Origami Four Leg Box
How to Fold an Origami Rocket
How to make Homemade Halloween Decorations
How to make origami claws
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...