A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drilling glass?  (Read 4371 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ryanne
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006 01:04:08 PM »

Sorry - I completely spaced posting this link - here it is:

http://www.wholesalersusainc.com/

That's the link to the main page, here's a link to the glass pieces that they offer with holes in them:

http://www.wholesalersusainc.com/glass-gems-marbles-hand-glass-shapes-c-58_152.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocktopus

seizures may be a trap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006 04:43:47 PM »

Sweet! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyowl
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006 11:01:46 AM »

thanks for the link!

also, if anyone is still looking for glass-drilling tips be sure to have a small amount of water fed to avoid overheating the glass. i used to use a dremel with a diamond bit before i got a drill press. both methods work, just be sure to use on-and-off pressure with that water feed (again, to avoid cracking & overheating).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasswork & illustration currently at:
http://happyowl.etsy.com
susankg53
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007 05:35:45 PM »

my son drills through the bottom of glass bottles to make lamps. He uses that clay that never dries out to make a ring from, then place it where you want to drill and press it down to adhere it to the glass, now fill that with oil and you have a nice little well of oil. He uses a spade bit for glass and drills down through the oil slowly. The oil helps keep the glass from getting hot. He rarely breaks a bottle. Cleaning the oil and glass is kind of messy but not too bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kreestahl
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007 11:00:05 AM »

Besides keeping the glass and bit cooler, the water will also keep the glass dust from flying.  The dust embeds in your lungs.  Over time it can build up causing a condition similar to miner's Black lung.  It is the same reason there is water in glass grinders and tile cutters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ham4art
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007 01:12:44 PM »

I put a shallow plastic tub that I got from hospital cast offs on the drill press plate. Fill it with water and use an old mouse pad to rest the glass on. The pad keeps the glass from skating and the water cools the bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaberella
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007 08:40:32 AM »

I use diamond bits to drill into glass. In Philly there is Jewelers Row and there is a Jewelry supply store. They have diamond bits for drilling and also for boring larger openings (like a " hole). Anyway, I use a dremmel and the diamond bits
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty_rach
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008 04:23:38 AM »

Just a question about putting the glass into the water ... do I need to have the water over the hole or just touching the sides of the piece? Cause drilling something submerged in water just disagrees with my 'water+electricity=bad' sense.

I want to drill a hole into the side of a jar btw, is that going to be harder cause the surface will be curved?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladybglass
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008 09:43:51 AM »

I know it's been a while since you asked your ?, but I am new to this site.  I have drilled holes in glass recently, and you have to use a diamond bit, and make sure the glass is under water.  Similar to tile, if it is not under water, it will get too hot and crack.  It is a very precarious, and requires patience. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear on a Lazy Day
Trend Report - Matchy-Matchy Sets
How To Take Your LBD From Day To Night
Get Summer Music Festival Makeup
Veronique Branquinho Fall 2014 Paris Fashion Week Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...