A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Craft for Your Handspun Yarn?  (Read 3634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2006 10:27:12 AM »

I lovelovelove the yarns I see the spinners posting here on craftster... and I can't spin myself. And, I've also noticed that many, if not most of the "ongoing wishlist" swap wishlists include handspun yarn as a wish.

What about a swap to match up spinners and non-spinners? Anyone interested?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006 09:10:17 AM »

Totally interested! I got some AWESOME yarn from Fuzzybunny in the Sweat Shoppe Swap rnd2, and would love to see what others might make! I mostly sew & make kanzashi, and I would LOVE to swap for more handspun!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

domUNIQUE
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006 05:52:06 PM »

definitely!  this is a great idea, i always wish i could join the lovely handspun or fiber swaps, but i can't because i myself don't spin! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out what's on my needles at www.beingdomUnique.wordpress.com

And what's off of them at www.designedbydomUnique.etsy.com
glittergirl94
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006 09:33:24 AM »

I'd definatly be interested in this one!  I'm a crocheter that has never worked with hand spun goodness....  I can sew a little, crochet a lot, and a few other crafts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006 04:10:55 PM »

I'm a spinner and I'm intrigued by the idea of the swap but...

I don't mean to sound well, mean, but what would us spinners get out of it? I thought the whole idea of swaps in the first place was the anticipation and surprise. Sure, there's alot of different types and colors of yarn that can be spun up and there's still a chance that the yarn might not please the person receiving it but all the non spinners have a fairly high chance of receiving something they like while all the spinners have no idea what they may be getting.

This seems like a giant flashing billboard for swappers who slap something together just to receive free stuff. I know that most if not all of the participants would work hard on their packages but I would hate to dye, blend and spin up a half pound of merino/silk and get back a spiral notebook with magazine cutouts appliqued to it.

Also, what would be done if there are more non spinners than there are spinners? Lets say that twelve people sign up but only three are spinners, will only three non spinners be chosen? will each spinner have to make three packages?

I apologize if it sounds like something has crawled up my butt to die, that's not how I intended to come off as but I feel that my questions are quite valid.

What would be cool is if someone organized a swap where non spinners either build or buy a spindle buy some fiber and after some time is allowed to get the hang of it, they swap their yarn. I would cover anyone who was stiffed or had a partner that just couldn't get the hang of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006 06:28:21 PM »

Hmmm.. good questions... I'll try to answer them as best I can.

I'm a spinner and I'm intrigued by the idea of the swap but...

I don't mean to sound well, mean, but what would us spinners get out of it? I thought the whole idea of swaps in the first place was the anticipation and surprise. Sure, there's alot of different types and colors of yarn that can be spun up and there's still a chance that the yarn might not please the person receiving it but all the non spinners have a fairly high chance of receiving something they like while all the spinners have no idea what they may be getting.

This seems like a giant flashing billboard for swappers who slap something together just to receive free stuff. I know that most if not all of the participants would work hard on their packages but I would hate to dye, blend and spin up a half pound of merino/silk and get back a spiral notebook with magazine cutouts appliqued to it.
I certainly didn't mean to suggest that "here's a great opportunity to ship off some crappy shite (into which you put zero effort) and you'll get some wonderful yarn that someone has slaved over for untold hours." I hope nobody thought that the intent here was to take advantage of people... rather the opposite. I'm sure that most craftsters would be thrilled to craft their fingers to the bone for someone who was lovely enough to swap yarn with them!

There have been other swaps where the whole point is to match up people with different skill sets so that each receives what they admire but couldn't do themselves (i.e. the "Knit but Can't Sew and Sew but Can't Knit" type of swap).

For example, a spinner might sign up and say, "I would love a pair of knit socks/crochet scarf/sewn tote bag/original black and white photo prints" and they would be matched up with someone who could fulfil their wishes (same as in any other swap). And the expectation would be that the non-spinner would put the same amount of effort into their package as the spinner would into their yarn. Sending crappy stuff would be reflected in feedback and those who were stiffed would have angels requested for them (like in any other swap).  I hope that helps to answer your question "what would the spinners get out of it?" Ideally they would get some lovely handicrafts made just for them with their tastes and preferences in mind.

Also, what would be done if there are more non spinners than there are spinners? Lets say that twelve people sign up but only three are spinners, will only three non spinners be chosen? will each spinner have to make three packages?
I can't imagine that anyone would expect the spinners to take on multiple partners but the non-spinners wouldn't have to- that would be pretty unfair! A solution would be to do something like the first 10 spinners and the first 10 non-spinners to sign up would be in the swap. And if, say, 5 spinners signed up but 10 non-spinners, then the non-spinners would be taken in a first-some, first-served basis.

Anyhoo, this all may be a moot point anyway since this thread has been up for a little while and interest hasn't been huge.  Smiley

Your suggestion of a "newbie spinner swap" is a good one and your offer to cover those who can't get the hang of it really generous! Now... if only I could learn to spin....  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
domUNIQUE
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006 07:08:38 PM »

nicely put, bloocanoe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out what's on my needles at www.beingdomUnique.wordpress.com

And what's off of them at www.designedbydomUnique.etsy.com
winter83
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006 07:20:35 PM »

I think this swap is a good idea! because I've really  been wanting to use handspun yarn but I dont know how to make and theres no where around here to buy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006 07:33:50 PM »

I feel like I have to speak from personal experience here. I have done swaps [personal and "invite your partner" swaps] for items I can't make in return for handspun yarn. I have always found that my partners are more than willing to go out of there way to make sure that the cost/effort of their products are equal to my time and energy as a spinner. I have yet to get crap in return, and have never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I think that if this swap were to happen that it needs to be clear that each pair of partners must be clear on the time and effort they're willing to put in. I can spin two ounces of chunky 2-ply yarn in a lot less time than 4 ounces of sport-weight 3 ply. I'm pretty up front about that too. Just like any other swap, it's all about communication and yes, someone could get flaked on, or get a box o' poo. Those are the risks you take when you swap. As to uneven numbers, you let all participants know during sign-ups that the total number of non-spinners will be limited to the number of spinners, and will be done on a first come-first served basis. This would mean that if 6 spinners signed up, then only the first 6 non-spinners to send in their questionnaires would get to participate. Unless some spinners wanted to spin for two and get packages from two non-spinners in return. Them's the breaks.

All that said, I might well be interested. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
moilulu
I have no idea what I'm doing!

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006 08:39:59 AM »

I knit & try to spin the results(of spinning) are scary I would love to see what other beginners are spinning!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine

I will knit for you in a personal swaps !!!!
(cause that's what I do!)

http://www.wists.com/moilulu
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Smoked Brisket
How to Cook Food on a Fire Pit
Summer Steak Dinner Recipe
How to Make Poutine
How to Make Onion Rings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...