A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (Old) First Sweater - To Frog or not to Frog??  (Read 911 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2006 08:51:56 AM »

So, about 5 years ago I finished my first sweater... it was a basketweave, drop-shoulder baggy style in Shetland Chunky. It is HUGE (gauge? what gauge?) and I don't think I have ever worn it - maybe once or twice around the house.

Now, I have fondness for this sweater since it is the first big thing I ever knit and so has a lot of sentimental value, and it also took me years, literally, to make and I learned a lot white making it.  However, it is huge and taking up space; I never wear it; and I can't think of anyone who would want it. It occurred to me that I could just frog it and make something else, but I'm not sure if I want to do that since it's kind of a sentimental garment. I might miss it if I frogged it, and regret doing it!

Has anyone else ever been in this situation??  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
skwirel

the best thing is to love and be loved in return

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006 09:05:05 AM »

i've done this before. i frogged a sweater i made years ago and made a purse out of it. i never wore it because it was made from cheap yarn and didn't feel good. now that i'm better and use better yarn, i know that it was just taking up space. so...i made the purse. it still has sentimental value, but i actually use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes i'm serious. but don't call me shirley.

http://pearlknitpurl.blogspot.com/
ravelry user name: skwirel
subloke
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006 10:25:19 AM »

Oh!  I would totally be torn between my sentimental side and my practical "but look at all that yarn" side. 

If it were me, I would take plenty of pics of the sweater for posterity's sake, then I would frog it and make something I really like and will wear. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
knit_north
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006 10:35:42 AM »

Oh!  I would totally be torn between my sentimental side and my practical "but look at all that yarn" side. 

i'm totally on the side of look at all that yarn! make some thing fun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006 10:53:23 AM »

Frog away, is my opinion.  And make something you'll use.  You want to feel good when you look at the thing.  Takeing pictures is a nice idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintlatte
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006 11:00:15 AM »

Frog it....
Unless it has elements that would look cute in a bag or purse or even on a pillow....then just cut em up and sew em....(I think you knitters call cutting your stuff up and sewing steeking or something like that)

I do think though that you would be much happier with pics of your first knit, and something nice made from the yarn instead :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006 12:30:47 PM »

I was just thinking about this a few days ago.  I still have the first sweater I knit (8-9 yrs ago).  It's three sizes too big and it poofs out in the front making me look pregnant.  I will never wear it and it's bulky and takes up a lot of space, but I don't think I'll ever frog it.  I love to pull it out and look at it from time to time to see how far I've come.  Plus it's made from a scratchy Lopi yarn that I don't really want to knit again anyway.

So I guess I'd suggest that if the yarn is gorgeous and would make something lovely, you should frog it.  Otherwise I'd keep it as-is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006 01:13:03 PM »

That's exactly where I am, subloke! Maybe leaning more on the sentimental side, since I realize now that thinking of frogging it makes me sad.  Undecided

I was just thinking about this a few days ago.  I still have the first sweater I knit (8-9 yrs ago).  It's three sizes too big and it poofs out in the front making me look pregnant.  I will never wear it and it's bulky and takes up a lot of space, but I don't think I'll ever frog it.  I love to pull it out and look at it from time to time to see how far I've come.  Plus it's made from a scratchy Lopi yarn that I don't really want to knit again anyway.

So I guess I'd suggest that if the yarn is gorgeous and would make something lovely, you should frog it.  Otherwise I'd keep it as-is.
That's a good point. It's Patons Shetland Ragg, which I used to use all the time, but I don't think I would go out of my way to use in a sweater at the moment.  It's nice, and decent, and serviceable, but not uber-gorgeous. So it's not a huge waste of gorgeous yarn. Maybe I should make a point of trying to wear it at home this winter and see if I can at least get some use out of it that way.

One thing about this sweater is that it really, really turned me off drop shoulders. The sleeves are so huge they were only slightly narrower than the front and back, before I sewed them up.  Roll Eyes

PS My mum sewed it up for me... I can just hear her shriek now if I decided to frog it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
knit_north
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006 05:15:18 PM »

[quote ]
PS My mum sewed it up for me... I can just hear her shriek now if I decided to frog it!  Cheesy
[/quote]

Ha! my mom would too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006 07:40:07 AM »

I just recently felted the first sweater I made and made a bag out of it--I like reusing the materials, because I still get a warm sense of pride looking at it, and remembering how exciting it was to finish that first piece, but like people have said, now it's something I can actually use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Belgian Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
How to Make Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Bacon and Egg Brunch Cups
How to Make Ohio Buckeyes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...