A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to be Sailor Venus.  (Read 5630 times)
Tags for this thread: cosplay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shexylady
« on: September 13, 2006 07:13:40 PM »

HOW?! I realize i need an orange skirt but has anyone ever made a sailor moon costume or anything? please help! Smiley with a cherry on top!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006 07:33:04 PM by shexylady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Talking Shit about a Pretty Sunset-Modest Mouse
Trip-Hedley
24 Story-Faber
California(2005)-Phantom Planet

She Who Laughs First Is The Fastest.
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006 08:20:09 PM »

If you can't find anyone on Craftster who's made a Sailor Moon costume, I'll bet you can definitely get some advice here: http://forums.cosplay.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shexylady
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006 08:21:25 PM »

OH thank you! haha i was getting worried there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Talking Shit about a Pretty Sunset-Modest Mouse
Trip-Hedley
24 Story-Faber
California(2005)-Phantom Planet

She Who Laughs First Is The Fastest.
PuNkY*BrAtZtEr
professional shooter/natural born brat

who says wings aren't an accessory?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006 06:32:49 AM »

make sure you post pics when you get it done!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orange_sunset

I found myself! ...Now where'd I put the scissors?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006 11:24:11 PM »

Your easiest bet is a simple circle skit, I know there are a few tutes here on Craftster. I know that most people use satin too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocolatewitch16
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006 11:36:05 PM »

or a pleated skirt would work also
THIS ROCKS   Logged
getoffmyskittle
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006 10:00:23 AM »

My friend made a Sailor Jupiter costume. Here's what she has to say in response to this thread:

First off you want your 3 material colours. In the case of venus... orange, blue and white. The bows are the easiest bit. Long strips of material, hem them, fold them into bow shapes then tie the middle with a much smaller strip.

For the bodice, sew this pattern... Make the letters join thier matching letter... so sew a to a, b to b, c to c, etc etc  Make sure to leave holes for your arms!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/pegasusmarsters/sailor.jpg The lower points on the V's of the lower pieces of the bodice should be a little lower than your crotch... Then cut STRAIGHT up the middle till it's around your waist... roll the two sides up and sew them so there's a tube on either side. Then stuff them and stitch the middle. Then you have a poofy out sewn V shape.  Down the back of the bodice, where the 2 pieces are already sewn, hem (leave an extra inch or so when cutting the material for this!) then sew in a zip so you can zip it up. You want to hem the skirt onto that. The skirt is just another sash of material... you want to sew it with pleats if you can, if not then don't worry or just do your best. Best to make it too long, then hem it up higher and higher till it's right. Mine started at my knees, then a bit up the thigh, now it only just covers my butt so it flies up when I spin.

For the collar you want a shape like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/pegasusmarsters/sailor2.jpg The inner bits where the rectangle is cut out should sew into your collar of your bodice on 1 edge, the back and one side should be left free.... you want to sew white lines round thoe other five edges... they should be about a half inch away from the hem, then about a CM apart... 2 lines going all the way round, I suggest you use ribbon for that. Use velcro to attach the collar to the bodice on the 2 sides you didn't sew, that way you can easily do the unzipping and get yourself out of the costume.

The gloves I'm sure you can figure out, but if not I'm sure you can find a glove pattern. Just make them reach your elbows then add 3 tubes made of the same material colour as used in the anime (orange or yellow on venus)

The sleeves may seem easy, but they require some hand sewing. Sew a square of material so it's folded over in the middle with 1 side unsewn... then sew 2 lines up it, so there are 3 empty tubes. stuff those tubes, then sew up the last edge. Then attach the square to the arm hole on one side. Repeat with the other side. Look at the anime images and you'll see how this works.

Finally, just attach the bows to the skirt and collar... sew them in the middle, and then on the corners of the bow and the hangy down bits, so they stay straight and dont droop.

Just find the right shoes, and be sure to wear covering white underwear so when the skirt flies up your butt wont show. And you're good to go!

Incomplete:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/pegasusmarsters/P5140343.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/pegasusmarsters/P5140345.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/pegasusmarsters/P5140350.jpg

If you need more info, you can email her at pegmarsters@gmail.com

(She also says not to use satin because it creases too easily, cotton looks better and has better weight.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrandTheftUno
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006 01:46:31 PM »

The Sailor Moon costume is essentially a cheerleader costume with some different detailing. I ended up reusing my Sailor Murcury costume from fourth grade on my neighbor several years later. I just  removed the collar on it. So basically, you just need to add a collar, and those wierd sleevey things
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laine hammy
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006 09:52:02 PM »

i've done it before. i was sailor venus for halloween when i was in fourth grade. my mom actually made the costume, but it was fairly easy.
I wore a white leotard. and my mom made a pleated orange skirt with a white waste band in a Vish shape. I don't really know how she did it though. Then she made a great big yellow bow and the other bows. The hair bow is my favorite, i still wear it around, in fact, i wore the entire costume last year (my sophomore year in highschool, by the way) for a band costume contest. the skirt was a little short... the people behind me certainly enjoyed it during stretches...
we bought some white gloves and put this puckery orange stuff (same as the skirt) on the top. and i found some shoes. the collary thing is basically a square with some hangyoffys at the end. i could dig up some pictures if you wanted.

i also have a friend, nick, who volunteered himself to be sailor jupiter. so i bought a tight fitting shirt for him and painted the bows on it. my friend made him a green pleated skirt out of a sheet and he was jupiter. it was awesome. there were three sailor scouts and a tuxedo mask at the contest. nick won prettiest =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparky17
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006 11:36:26 AM »

yeah! my friend an i both made sailor scout costumes afew months ago for a sadie hawkins dance! she was sailor venus and i was sailor moon. what we did was search around for white pleated skirts, which we found cheap at roos. then (of course we dont really know anything about making...anything at all lol) we bought a fabric dye (me blue her orange). then we painted our skirts with the dye using paintbrushes, and it turned them a crazy kind of tye-dye style pattern but it was awesome. we liked it better than if it had been normal. then we just found v-neck long white tops, again at ross. we were going to sew the skirt and shirt together, but we wanted to wear the skirts again seperatley afterwards so we just pinned them and they came to a point in the front. we bought about a yuard of blue and orange fabric and cut a large pentagon shape out of each, then measured and cut a hole big enough for our heads. we hot glued 2 stripes of white ribbon along the border of each shape, then sewed them onto our shirts. we had the hardest time with the bows for some reason, but know i can think of better ways we could have done them. i used christmas bows(the big red ones!) and she used big bows she had made for her at micheals, although you can probubly make better ones out of 2 pieces of fabric. youll need 3 bows though. we just bought long white gloves and used orange or red ribbon to make the stripes at the tops. she used ribbon to make her head piece an her choker. then she painted a pair of white highheels orange. i made my "boots" out of the sleeves of an old red sweatshirt.
heres some links to pictures of the costumes(it wont let me put them in the post)! the first is the group, the second and third are just sailor venus. sailor pluto is my other friend, but we made her in about a half an hour becasue we talked her into going 30minutes before the dance. i hope i helped ya, good luck!
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/sparkylovesmangos/a76.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/sparkylovesmangos/a71.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/sparkylovesmangos/a75.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to prepare your hair for styling
How to Curl Hair With Straightener
How to Curl Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Choose a Flat Iron
Hair Color Advice
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...