A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Muggle Relations  (Read 38118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunflowerfairy
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2006 06:13:21 PM »

Think that's bad, just wait til you get pregnant! Men think it's contagious, I swear.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

franciebrady
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2006 06:33:35 PM »

Think that's bad, just wait til you get pregnant! Men think it's contagious, I swear.

This made me laugh Cheesy  There's no way I'm getting pregnant unless I somehow spontaneously sprout a uterus and ovaries.  Sorry, I think people get confused by my pseudonym "franciebrady", but I'm a guy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2006 07:13:25 PM »

When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be somehow related to the show "All in the Family" (I love old TV shows Cheesy).

Oddly enough something similar happened to me the other day.  There I was, riding home on the train when some guy sat across from me, noticed I was knitting, and got up to move (who knows, maybe it was the same guy Wink).  However, he sat back down after discovering there were no other empty seats (wow, I just realized my meathead repellant was working a lot better than I thought).  He was very careful not to look in my direction for the whole trip. Roll Eyes

This thread reminds me of the "Stereotypical Knitter" thread.  Another good one, not quite related: "How do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something"; it's a long one but soo entertaining (one of my favorites here on Craftster).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2006 01:25:22 AM »

In any case though, the story is pretty good.  The sterotype/idealogy that knitting is for women only is so sad!  I support/commend all the crafty males out there for having to deal with all the strange looks and comments.  Which is one of the great thing about Craftster, how it's got quite a few crafty guys.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 05:04:06 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirstyd
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2006 01:59:57 AM »

I think this whole thing is HILARIOUS!! Go, Franciebrady! May your needles fly and your yarn never tangle! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

today was good, today was fun, tomorrow is another one.   Dr Suess

my blog http://pompomrouge.wordpress.com/    my website www.pompomrouge.com
mserocks
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2006 05:46:45 AM »

I've had the exact opposite issue - when I'm knitting anywhere, everyone wants to see what I'm doing, what it's going to be, touch the yarn, etc. It never really bothers me and it only got weird one time.

I was at a teacher workshop a couple of weeks ago and since these things are notoriously boring, I took along my project. It was about 20 minutes before things started and I'd had like 4 or 5 people already ask me about it... Then this old teachery guy comes over and gets SO excited that someone else was knitting that he goes all the way back out to his car to get his WIP, sits down next to me, and proceeds to be stuck up my butt for the entire rest of the day. He was a sweet man and all, but really kind of annoying with his incessant talking. Oh well, was better than listening to the presenters. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 05:50:25 AM by mserocks » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi.

Ok, me too! www.wists.com/mserocks
rockadot
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2006 08:34:13 AM »

I don't mind when people talk to me when i'm knitting in public. In fact, I kind of like educating people about the non-grannyness of knitting these days.

Lately, though, I've been knitting a lot of socks toe-up and people always come up to me and ask me if I'm knitting a sweater. Usually, if I've already turned the heel, I'll get up and walk away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2006 09:51:24 AM »

To franciebrady, I think the "meathead's" behavior is hilarious, and it isn't like you would want to talk to him anyway if he behaves that way. You probably had a much better time on the train without him, and now you have a funny story to tell whenever you like. Power to the knitters!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 05:05:16 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2006 05:03:12 PM »

ok, everyone, let's keep the discussion on the topic of knitting only.  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trisarahtop
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2006 01:00:29 AM »

I have the opposite problem. I used to take the bus to and from work and school, and I would usually have knitting with me. It didn't matter what time of day I was on the bus, people would always ask me about it, and meathead type guys would always sit next to me and somehow use my knitting to try to pick me up. It was one of the most ridiculous things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways To Apply Liquid Eyeliner
Ask Marianna: Tips For Summer Makeup And Fuller Hair
Tips and Tricks: Using Colored Eyeliner
How to Get the Tweed Nail Art Look With Katie Hughes
How to Dress Up for a Date
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...