A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Muggle Relations  (Read 41570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #450 on: August 22, 2007 11:11:30 PM »

Why is it that one time time I actually want someone to ask about what I'm knitting, people avoid me like i'm the plague! I really want to say I'm knitting a dinosaur , especially when it's blatantly obvious that it's a scarf. Oh well, at least no creepy guys are trying to hit on me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: September 17, 2007 07:18:01 PM »

Darn inconsiderate fellow commuters!  Angry
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007 07:29:04 AM by TheCraftyCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tajhia
« Reply #452 on: September 17, 2007 07:53:34 PM »

Has anyone ever heard "So when's the baby due?!" when you're knitting in public? Usually from an obnoxious older man who thinks he's funny? That used to happen to me when I worked at a movie theater and would knit during the downtimes. I thought that it was EXTREMELY rude. Where do these people come from?!
One day I couldn't take it anymore and snapped, "You know, that's a REALLY rude thing to say to a woman who's not pregnant." When he started to mumble "Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that..."

I have never had that comment.............. but if I did I think I would say "very soon, but it is my sister/best-freind/cousin/aunt's baby.......)  but you are right - it is RUDE!

Why on earth do people automatically think that if you are knitting you MUST be knitting for a baby?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: September 17, 2007 08:44:29 PM »

Why on earth do people automatically think that if you are knitting you MUST be knitting for a baby?

Stereotypes.  Don't we love them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Ecstatic
Infected with Icanmakethat

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2007 08:49:01 PM »

I started knitting this past May, and since I had an entire free summer ... I knitted everywhere. From coffee shops to bookstores to the park. I got absolutely zero comments on it.

But, I am a bit of a recluse, and am quite anti-social. So, I try my best to give off the "stay away" vibe. Guess it worked, because I must have knitted in public everyday for the whole summer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never lose a holy curiosity. - Einstein
http://www.wists.com/ecstatic
cdngreenie
« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2007 11:32:13 PM »

Has anyone ever heard "So when's the baby due?!" when you're knitting in public? Usually from an obnoxious older man who thinks he's funny? That used to happen to me when I worked at a movie theater and would knit during the downtimes. I thought that it was EXTREMELY rude. Where do these people come from?!
One day I couldn't take it anymore and snapped, "You know, that's a REALLY rude thing to say to a woman who's not pregnant." When he started to mumble "Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that..."

I have never had that comment.............. but if I did I think I would say "very soon, but it is my sister/best-freind/cousin/aunt's baby.......)  but you are right - it is RUDE!

oh man... I was in a clinic waiting for an ultrasound and the woman next to me asked me when I was due...

sure, ultrasound clinics are safer locations to ask such questions but seriously... SO not pregnant...  I've taken the tack of, unless she says something first, or her t-shirt says something blatantly obvious (like my mother's "oops!" tee, seriously, she had one, and my bro and I were planned!), I don't mention the 'bump' because you never know... maybe her bladder's just really really full, waiting for an abdominal ultrasound...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pamhkyle
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2007 04:48:01 AM »

That is soooo familiar.... Last time it happened, my mom was standing right next to me. She nearly had a heart attack (she hadn't seen me in 3 or 4 months and I had gained a pound or 2 since). Talk about embarrasing Wink
Normally I don't mind people asking questions (if you're KIPing, it's bound to happen).

What I do hate are people thinking they're funny (like the baby remark) or people that pick up your stuff and start toying around with it (unwinding a ball of yarn is apparently a fascinating pass-time, so are clicking rowcounters, picking up a pattern from under your nose, leafing through it and then putting it back where they got it (but closed or on a completely different page)... I could go on and on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my friends new etsy shop:
http://Monevor.etsy.com
karls_mommy
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2007 10:11:55 AM »

Weird.  People don't ask too much when I'm knitting.  I usually keep a no brainer project when I will be KIP.  I take my son to soccer every Friday, and have a conversation with one of the moms while knitting.  Strangely, she never inquired either.  LOL! Maybe I'm surrounded by artisans and don't know it...??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2007 10:41:49 AM »

I do have to say though, the one group of people I cut some slack for are are service employees. If I'm at a restaurant and the waiter asks me about my knitting, I usually assume that they're just trying to do their job well and I'll happily answer any questions they have.

And a server has never done the "So when's the baby due?!" line at me. Usually when it happens, it's an obnoxious older man with a bad sense of humor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 19, 2007 10:33:01 AM »

one of these things:

1) I don't have time for that
2)I don't have the patience to sit there for "that long" doing that

Ughhhhh.  This annoys the crap out of me.  I was in my pediatrician's office today (my 9 month old had a checkup) and this lady was in there with her baby.  I was working on a hat and one lady was very nice and asked me where I learned to knit and how long it took me to learn, etc.  Well, this other lady looks and says "I wish I had TIME to learn how to do that" and I didn't say anything and then she says "I don't have the patience to just sit there for 'that long'".   I say nothing, instead I just kind of snort.  What I'm thinking is "Lady, please.  Here you are with your ONE kid complaining about how you don't have time to do ANYTHING, while I have 3 KIDS, one of which is 9 months old and into everything, so don't TELL me you don't have time."  As a matter of fact, I don't have time either, but I make time because I enjoy it.  Also, that whole "I don't have the patience to just sit there for 'that long'" thing makes me want to kill somebody.  Really?  Well, when I'm "just sitting there", I'm usually watching tv, breastfeeding my baby, and knitting at the same time, or something along those lines, so I'm not very well just SITTING THERE am I?  Ughhhh.  Non crafty people aggravate me SO much sometimes.  Anyone else have complete and total strangers make you feel like a time-wasting, lazy piece of crap when you knit in public?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Goat Cheese and Strawberries Salad for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Shrimp Scampi for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Prepare a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Cook the Shrimp and Beurre Fondue Sauce
Learn how to Make Grits for Shrimp and Grits
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...