A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Muggle Relations  (Read 38743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

Cross my heart and kiss my elbow.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2007 12:40:12 PM »

Oh, I had a new experience and immediately thought of this thread.  I was reading something aloud to my fiance about gauge (I think it was in Knitting Rules!).  He was like, "Gauge?" and looked all confused, so I tried to explain.  Finally, his eyes lit up with recognition and he said, "OH!  Gauge!  Like a shotgun!"   Roll Eyes

About 2 minutes later, he picked up one of my needles and scratched his back with it.
I think your fiance and my husband are the same dyelot...

My father and brothers, too... The other day, I caught the younger two having a "lightsaber" fight with my 10's. I actually think my dad put them up to it, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KaeMarie
« Reply #371 on: July 22, 2007 02:40:42 PM »

My father and brothers, too... The other day, I caught the younger two having a "lightsaber" fight with my 10's. I actually think my dad put them up to it, though...

My brother is like that as well.  He used to find many..erm.. creative uses for knitting needles, the worst of which was using them as darts and trying to get them to stick in a wooden door. (parental units weren't particuarly happy about that one)  Though, I must say, I did use a wooden knitting needle for my wand at the Harry Potter release party, so I may be about on my brothers level.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, we'd have peace. -John Lennon

A dream alone is just a dream, a dream together is a reality. -Yoko Ono
lwright311
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2007 04:48:01 PM »

I have two boys (5 and 2) and they are constantly getting my needles and playing swords or even Pick-up sticks.  It is really agravating when they pull the WIP off to play with them.  My husband has given up and now calls any thing that involves yarn "yarning".  As in "Boys leave momma alone.  She is busy yarning."  P.S.  I love the dye lot comment.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 22, 2007 06:21:09 PM »

I have two boys (5 and 2) and they are constantly getting my needles and playing swords or even Pick-up sticks.  It is really agravating when they pull the WIP off to play with them.  My husband has given up and now calls any thing that involves yarn "yarning".  As in "Boys leave momma alone.  She is busy yarning."  P.S.  I love the dye lot comment.   

Oh gosh! I hate it when my project slips off my needles. It's always hard to put it back on. Hehe, yarning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #374 on: July 22, 2007 11:51:48 PM »

yarning and the dye lot reference need to be on shirts...
and i lovethis thread...  nothing too crazy has been said to me... but alot of weird looks... im very used to that.. people request knit things all the time from me.. lik they expect a sweater in like 3 days... yeah. i will get right on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Corvus

Mildly obsessed knitter

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 23, 2007 01:36:54 AM »

The only odd comment I've gotten was when I was at a family gathering, and I'm knitting away on a sock, 5 DPNS, and a cousin asked someone next to her (not me), "What's she doing?"  They replied, "Knitting a sock, looks like"  and her astonished and very loud reply was "THAT'S KNITTING?!?"  Apparently you can't knit with more than two needles.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment ~ Rumi
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #376 on: July 23, 2007 06:42:23 AM »

How about an anti-post:

I'm sitting in the hallway between classes, crocheting furiously because I have a swap deadline looming. I hardly ever attempt crochet, because I can't crochet to save my life, but this is very basic and small, so I'm hunched over it stabbing my tiny, pathetic foundation chain.

I have a reputation around there (well, had, I've graduated now) for being extremely crafty... wonder how that happened.

Anyway, a classmate walks past, and as she's moving she calls out to me "Hi! Are you crocheting?"

I almost didn't respond in time before she had passed out of sight.

"Yes, yes I am!"

It took me a minute to register the shock that my project had been accurately ID'd!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: July 23, 2007 08:47:43 AM »

Though, I must say, I did use a wooden knitting needle for my wand at the Harry Potter release party, so I may be about on my brothers level.

You too, eh? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: July 23, 2007 09:30:42 PM »

Though, I must say, I did use a wooden knitting needle for my wand at the Harry Potter release party, so I may be about on my brothers level.

You too, eh? Cheesy
Muggles that wouldn't know a knitting needle from a crochet hook!

I was once asked, "What are the things on the end for?" (on straights) by a beginning knitter.
"To keep the yarn from falling off." 
"Oh."

Made me wonder where she'd gotten her needle if she'd never seen a Boye brand needle (their stoppers are not flat bottons or balls).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007 09:31:17 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wakeupdonnie
« Reply #379 on: July 23, 2007 10:19:45 PM »

I was at my friend's house the other day. Her friend was over, and I was knitting her a pair of fingerless gloves. The guy was staring at me for a while, and then;
Him: What are you doing? Knitting, or crocheting, or something?
Me: Knitting.
Him: How do you.. start that?
Me: .......what do you mean?
Him: Why do you knit? That's for old people. Why don't you go party?
Me: ..because I'm not an idiot.

I'm pretty sure he was high, but that's no excuse.
Guh. I hate teenagers. [okay, I may be one, but not like them.]
lyke LOLZ LET'S GO GET DRUNK AND SLEEP AROUND! THAT SOUNDS LYKE A GOOD IDEA, RITE GUYZZZ?

No, thanks. I'd rather do something somewhat productive rather than destructive or reproductive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
How to Use QuickTime
How to Video Encode on the Mac
How to Track Roto Shapes - Motion 3
How to Replace the Sky Part 1/2 - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...