A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Muggle Relations  (Read 38574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aura_reincarnation

Wiccan and loving it! www.mysticauras.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2007 09:08:29 AM »

I know the feeling. When I go to the doc I take my knitting with me and sit in a quiet area away from everyone so I can do it right and not mess up.

Well 9 times out of 10 someone has to come to the other side of the place and ask me 100 questions. I have to stop knitting and tell them. Once I answer all there questions most of the time they go away.

But theres a few who must sit right next to me and gaze at my hands. I cant stand for someone to stare at my hands while im knitting. I cant think of what im doing. All thats running thru my head is "why is she watching my hands?she cant even tell what Im doing! The stitches im working on are between my hands,she cant see there. Please go away so I can work on my item!"

So needless to say I dont get anything done 9 times out of 10. Sad

There was one time tho where I was happy to show someone what I was doing. Smiley

This woman came up to me in the docs office and said her granddaughter asked her if she could ask the lady with the yarn a question. So I told her sure!
The little girl,maybe 6 years old, asked me "what is that pretty thing your making?" (Its was just the top of a chirstmas stocking.But I was making the top,heel and toe in pink and the rest in black.) I only had the top pink section done and about 4-5" done on the leg section. But I sat there and told her everything I was doing!

She had a smile on her face the whole time! She was learning crochet at the time from her grandmother. The grandmother told me she was raising her and that the girl loved watching anyone whos making something with yarn! But I was the first person she had ever wanted to go ask a question to! I was sooo happy! I Think she will be a knitter or crocheter when she gets older! You know we might be knitting one of her patterns one day!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2007 01:19:00 PM »

Aw, what a great story! That little girl sounds so sweet!

I also hate it when people stare at whatever I'm doing. I also love to read, and for some reason, people like to stare at me reading. Tongue They say that I'm a fast reader.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
silentdementia
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2007 03:50:11 PM »

I also hate it when people stare at whatever I'm doing.

I completely agree! I don't mind if people ask what I'm knitting, but then again, I've only ever had actual knitters who are really interested talk to me. It's when people stare at me waiting for that second head to emerge I get just a litle bit ticked off. On the train home this week a woman watched me knit for 4 hours! 4 whole hours. It was downright creepy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist : Swap Info : Personal Swap Friendly
Saeros
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2007 05:11:22 PM »

I think I"m pretty much a horrible person for this...usually I knit on the bus (because our transit system is that craptacular that I have a one hour bus ride to and from work) and when people give me that "Aw...ain't she quaint?" look and look like they're approaching and ask what I'm making I usually just go "Oh this? This is to hold my illegally smuggled cocaine! People wouldn't even THINK a person who knits gets high on cocaine!"

Tongue they usually catch on to the sarcasm, a few people on the bus laugh, and then I"m usually left alone for the rest of the bus ride.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Because I can
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2007 04:01:24 AM »

I've just started my commute to London again after a 4-year break and things are still the same. People usually just ignore everyone else and I'm happy with it that way.

But last week I was busy working on my current sock when the 3 seats around me were taken by a group of loud and annoying 'suits'. The woman opposite me and her friend next to me kept exchanging glances, then had the following conversation:

Woman 1: Chicken Run
Woman 2: What?
Woman 1: Chicken Run. Have you seen it?
Woman 2: Yes... why?
Woman 1 (glancing at me): I can't tell you now. Watch it when you get home, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Woman 2: Oh, I get what you mean now. Hahahaha.

Now I really didn't mind the comparison to a fat-arsed cartoon chicken, but what really got my goat was... Did they honestly think I was too stupid to get what they were talking about? Grr. Anyway I gave them a really filthy look and at least they had the decency to look embarrasssed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot. com
fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2007 04:40:10 AM »

Wow, THAT'S rude! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2007 04:46:26 AM »

No kidding! Incredibly rude, and I don't even get the reference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2007 05:11:53 AM »

No kidding! Incredibly rude, and I don't even get the reference.

I'm guessing there was a knitting chicken in the movie.  I haven't seen it, but I think I remember a scene from a commercial or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
redwitch
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2007 05:52:54 AM »

My God. I am repeatedly shocked by people's rudeness (not specifically about knitting). Recently at a concert I was wearing my Fetching gloves in red. On the way out, well you know how the stadium's full and on the stairs everyone is literally shoulder-to-shoulder shuffling out... a girl was on my left (pressed against me) and her guy was on her left. He said in a low voice to her 'interesting gloves'. She says 'What?' 'The red gloves' he says with a nod toward my hands. Now her head is about 10 inches to the left of mine. Did he think I wouldn't be able to hear him? Seriously! (I felt like explaining to him, you know, gloves are to keep your hands warm, and we're outside at night, so it's cold, so I wore some warm clothes)
I would have explained to the subway girl in a loud voice 'She said Chicken Run because there's a character in the movie that knits, and I'm knitting, so she thought it was relevant. Kind of like how if I had a friend with me, if I were extremely rude, I might nod at you and say 'mean girls, you know the movie' cause it has those bitchy girls and you're really rude.' Okay, that last part would have been saved for in my head...
you were very restrained not to call her up on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2007 06:18:29 AM »

I really wish I'd had the presence of mind to make a snappy comeback. Or the balls to poke them with my dpns Wink

(And I'm revealing my Brit-centric outlook by assuming everyone has seen Chicken Run Embarrassed It's a remake of The Great Escape with animated chickens, one of whom knits. It's quite funny.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot. com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich To Astound Your Taste Buds
Would You Eat It? Deep Friend Doritos Breaded Burger
How to Make a Classic Jambalaya
How to Make Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes
Angry Macaroni and Cheese and No-Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Cups Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...