A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HUNDREDS of film canisters  (Read 2080 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 13, 2006 07:41:12 AM »

I have literally hundreds of small plastic 35mm film canisters in black and white with lids - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006 07:52:55 AM »

I just googled film canisters and came up with lots of ideas for kids projects.  Like mini rockets and starting seeds by putting wet cotton balls and seeds of your choice inside and waiting for them to sprout.

I thought they might be useful in making your own manacala board, maybe if you cut them apart and used it for the cups on the board.
 Good Luck

Charter member of the Defarge Society.....
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006 08:33:00 AM »

I would use some of them for beads, if you're into beads. Smiley  You could tape one bead to each top so you'd know what was in the container.

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006 08:57:12 AM »

The manacala board is a good idea - since I have so many I was looking for bigger projects that would use several canisters each.

Thanks for that one!

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006 08:50:51 PM »

My oldest sister made a cool baby toy for my daughter. She put a jingle bell in each one, then crocheted around them. It made a big loop,She used a different bright color for each one. Imagine a string of pop beads,They were seperate like beads on a necklace, Sorry I can't post pictures for a while, and I don't know if I could dig it out anyway! But cute rattle type thing that used a lot of cannisters.
Give everyone you know one for the car to hold charge for the parking meter?
They're so little it's hard to think of something to do with them. Good luck.

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|

my guinea pigs are plotting to take over the world

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006 06:33:46 PM »

they would be great for bead or other craft storage.  you simply screw the lids underneath a bookshelf and then the containers snap on for easy out of the way under shelf storage!

Tutorial Contributor

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006 06:42:23 PM »

they would be great for bead or other craft storage.  you simply screw the lids underneath a bookshelf and then the containers snap on for easy out of the way under shelf storage!
fab  idea......
I was  thinking  twisting wrapping paper around them  to makle them look  like  candy wrapped  up.... then  string together  to  make  garland  for  your tree this  year???  or  any other decoration.

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006 08:01:43 PM »

That's what I did with my long strips of film!
Do you think I could possibly steal a trailer or two from you??
I love the look of 35mm film.
It would be even cooler to steal from an Imax theatre!!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006 01:09:51 PM »

1.Since it's Christmas time, I'm thinking a little advent calender. Glue them all in a rectangle and wrap ribbon around the edge. Then you can decorate the tops with numbers and put little gifts inside.
2.Party Lights! Get a strand of colored lights and poke a hole in the tops of some of the caps so you can put the light in. Then get a sharp craft knife type thing and cut out little polka dots or designs in the canister so light will shine through. It depends on how thick the plastic is if you can cut through it though.
3.As little presents you could put 2 little candies or teabags in on with a bow on top and keep a few in your purse for friends you see.
4.One last thing, they'd make great little pill boxes for your purse or little sewing kits you can throw in your purse with a few needles, a couple colors of thread and some buttons.

Do you still have the containers that go in the camera with the film inside? Because i took the tops you have to take of of those with a little can opener and made them into a bracelet with the holes in the middle they look pretty cool.

Soooo that was ALOT. Hope it helps  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006 02:03:07 PM by xx_skalicous_xx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

[[insert something spiffy to say HERE]]
Like personal swaps? Me too.

This was completely unintentional

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006 02:19:03 PM »

You could use them as packaging if you make small crafts. Cheesy

They're good for storing change and other small personal items as well.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sidebar in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Video Placeholder in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Format Thumbnail Text in Photoshop
How to Add Thumbnail Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Shadow Effect in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Plumeria Flowers
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...