A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you take good photos of glass jewelry?  (Read 2540 times)
Tags for this thread: product_photography  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 13, 2006 07:13:46 AM »

I have trouble taking photos of my glass pieces.  Lately I have been working on making stained glass jewelry, but find it difficult to get a good shot of them!  (glare issues, or its too dark if I don't have the flash on, etc.)   Does anyone have a trick that generally works for them?  I am definitely not a photographer, but am hoping to sell my pieces at some point and need to get some decent shots.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ryanne
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006 09:56:57 AM »

Hi Sonja -

I work for an antique store, and we put a lot of our stock on the Internet, and as a result, I take a lot of pictures of glass things.

This is what works best for me:  I don't use a flash at all - that really helps with the glare.  Clear glass is the absolute hardest to photograph.  I usually put it on a piece of dark purple velvet to take a picture of it.  My light source is above and behind me.  Depending on your camera, you may be able to play with the exposure before you take the picture.  If not, I have had luck with touching up the photos in Photoshop Elements.

I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006 10:59:49 AM »

Outdoor natural light works best for me. I have also made a crazy make shift light box using my under cabinet lights I then propped up my fused glass plates on two 2-liter soda bottles covered with plain white paper towels.  This way the light was directly above my plate and my camera was able to capture the subtle patterns in the glass. I took several pictures some with and without the flash and some on micro setting and some on regular.

I know it is a kooky method but necessity is the mother of invention right!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllessonBeads
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006 10:40:46 AM »

Hi everybody,

I make Jewelry and Lampworkbeads and I sell the most from my page or on ebay so it must make good Pictures. I can`t wait on the light at the day so I have some Light it calls Daylight. Is helps to get wonderful Pictures. What is the name of your Camera? Sometimes helps it to know what you must do to make a good picture. The next is the backround. If you have light things take a dark backround do you have dark things take a light backround. never take a flash. A flash helps you not to get a good color on the picture.

Sorry for the bad english but Im coming from germany. I hope you understand what I mean. If you need more help tell me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thank you
Kristina
SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006 10:53:42 AM »

Thank you so much for the pointers!  I have two cameras-- one is a HP, the other I am not sure of as it was my Dad's.  My main issue is preventing serious glare in my photos and not having blurry pics -- for some reason, I can't seem to do both at the same time!  But these tips are awesome-- thank you all for your help!

And EB, don't worry about your English-- it's wonderful!  (And certainly better than my German! Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllessonBeads
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006 11:06:22 AM »

Thank you so much for the pointers!  I have two cameras-- one is a HP, the other I am not sure of as it was my Dad's.  My main issue is preventing serious glare in my photos and not having blurry pics -- for some reason, I can't seem to do both at the same time!  But these tips are awesome-- thank you all for your help!

And EB, don't worry about your English-- it's wonderful!  (And certainly better than my German! Cheesy)

Hi Sonja thank you so much  Grin

I take my most pictures in Macro and if you have a small flower on your camera click it. It helps you to make the oicture sharp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thank you
Kristina
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006 09:23:37 AM »

You can get a minipod for about $10 at OfficeDepot, or any place that sells cameras. It's a teeny tripod that you can set up on your surface for really steady photo-taking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006 09:26:56 AM »

Also use the micro setting (a little flower) to make those close ups come out sharp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006 11:08:34 AM »

Sonja - I have a friend that takes great jewelry pics and I asked her for her secret.  Are you ready?  She puts her background cloth IN THE MICROWAVE, with the door open the bright light is perfect she says.  She doesn't use a flash on the camera and the jewelry looks great.  What the heck, it's worth a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006 12:39:11 PM »

Get out-- really?  That's cool!  I'm going to have to try that!  (Like my husband doesn't think I'm weird enough already-- I can see him now when he walks in and I'm taking photos of the inside of our microwave!  Ha!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Save the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Refine the Selection Edge in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...