A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,307
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My quick rant  (Read 1551 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2006 12:26:03 AM »

I hate that you have access to beautiful yarns that I don't.
I just want to stamp my feet and jump up and down, then say *please sir, I want some more (yarn)* and have it magically appear at a shop near me.

I don't like the thought of purchasing yarn off the internet because I really like to feel the yarn before I buy it.
I like to hear the ohhhh's and ahhhh's that escape from my mouth when I feel a new yarn for the first time.

Ok, that's it, thanks for letting me have my rant, now back to your scheduled programming.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006 01:15:44 AM »

Wizardesssss, I feel your pain. Here in the UK -- despite our long history of wool production -- yarn shops tend to stock novelty yarns, acrylic DK, and a selection of expensive Rowan. There are occasional gems of yarn shops, but you have to travel to find them. It seems there's a wider choice in Canada and the US.

Don't give up on shopping online though -- many suppliers will send you samples. I know it's just not the same but it's better than nothing Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
koshka
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006 02:11:34 AM »

It's a pain, isn't it? I have a decent yarn shop within reach, thankfully, so I can go and fondle yarn in my lunchbreak - but my mum is nowhere near one and finds it so frustrating.

You could try what she does and make a special trip to a further afield one that you know has a good range and spend enough time there to get a feel (literally!) for the various types and shades so at least you have more of an idea what you're getting if you do then order online?

She finds that although it's not quite as good as being able to browse when you have a project you want to buy for, a combination of that and getting shade cards for yarns you remember really liking makes the online thing easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006 06:11:23 AM »

I hear you!  Down here in Coastal Mississippi, we had one yarn store before Hurricane Katrina, and I'm unsure if a) it opened back up, and b) if it was any good to begin with since I just recently started knitting.  I usually use acrylic yarn for my crocheting.  We have to travel 150 miles round trip to get to a yarn store that offers "good" quality knitting options.  We don't usually make those trips that often, maybe once every other month or two months.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006 06:32:41 AM »

I want to add to that ranting.  Why is it that I don't enough money for yarn or time for knitting???!!!  Do you know how many items I want to knit but I can't because something always has to come up when you least expect it?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april_cocaine
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006 12:11:45 PM »

i feel your pain too. Although my LYS is good, it mostly deals in novelty yarn, and crazy fuzzy cardigans (does anyone actually wear these?)

the thing I haven't been able to find recently is a good supplier of circular needles. I had to resort to ebay for my 6.5 40cm circulars.

and Safetyfox -  find it weird too that a country like the UK doens't have the yarn supply it should (or once) had. Maybe we should campiagn for more yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006 12:20:25 PM »

I want to add to that ranting.  Why is it that I don't enough money for yarn or time for knitting???!!!  Do you know how many items I want to knit but I can't because something always has to come up when you least expect it?!

Ohhh boy, I hear ya on that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
talmina
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006 11:34:49 PM »

I hate that I live in sheepfarming  country and there are tons of merino sheep in the reigon but I have to wait for up to 3 months for an order of merino yarn to come into my LYS
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purposefulinsanity
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006 07:31:49 AM »

I live in Yorkshire where they make Rowan, Debbie Bliss. Sirdar, Jaegar, etc, etc, and Designer yarns (who supply noro, ggh, Laines Du Nord, etc) are about 2 miles from my house- yet the 'nicest' thing you can find at my LYS is a bogstandard wool blend. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006 07:39:37 AM »

argh that would drive me nuts.  I'd talk to the owner, of course in that case the owner has to be up for trialing new yarns...  Why wouldn't you be in that area?  I'd use local stuff like that to promote the store, hell they could label half the stores stock "locally made"  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Headband Braid
How to Do a Kinky Twist
How to Fake Side-Swept Bangs
How to Ask for the Style You Want at the Salon
How to Create a Classic Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...