A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft Markets in Melbourne  (Read 4244 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jellibabi

www.eonautomatic.com

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2004 03:59:22 AM »

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any directories or listings of Melbourne craft markets.  I've found a few on the internet, but most of them have been up near the Peninsula, and I'm looking for markets closer to the Eastern Suburbs.  Even if you just know one or two markets, not whole directories, that would be great, because then I can start to compile a list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurajean

I love your little bow tie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004 05:58:49 AM »

Hey Jelli,
there's the St Andrews market on Saturdays - sort of easternish -
other than that there's the rotating craft market thing which does alternate sundays at different locations, that might be the one you saw listed on the net.

I'm also about to give the Camberwell market a whirl, this Sunday - my impression as a browser is that it's really a secondhand place but I'll report back.  It's certainly pretty cheap to get a stall @ $45 the day.

But the two licence-to-print-money craft markets in Melbourne are the one under princes bridge and the esplanade.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my shop where I sell handbags from heaven
laurajean

I love your little bow tie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 04:58:37 PM »

well, I had my day at the Camberwell market, & I would not recommend it unless the things you're selling are dirt cheap.  I only took $165 for the day which was quite pathetic considerng the amount of work I put into it.  Other stall holders said to me that the people who go there have the '50c mentality' and I think it might be true.  Handmade purses that I sell on my website for $38 got oohed and aahed over, but $30 was considered too expensive by every browser.  So just as an experiment I dropped the asking price by $5 each time somebody enqiured until somebody decided to buy.  It went down to $5 before anyone was itneredted, & then she wanted two for $7.  So in truth I found the experience very demoralising and will probably stick to ebay in future.
cheers
laura

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my shop where I sell handbags from heaven
jellibabi

www.eonautomatic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004 03:30:04 AM »

I had a feeling that the Camberwell market would be a little like that.  I've been there once, and picked up these two beautiful handbags, one for $10 and a smaller one for $5, which would NOT have covered the materials used.  The lady selling them said as much, but said that no one would buy things for more.  My experience is that you have to sell at actual CRAFT markets, where people are going specifically to buy handmade things, and are willing to pay for them.  Have you considered selling your bags to city boutiques, Laurajean?  I've seen them on Ebay and they are beautiful.  I think that some stores would definately be interested.  My sister's boyfriend's sister (yes, i know, a friend of a friend of a friend...) makes handbags and sells them to stores in Adelaide where she lives for about $40, and then the stores sell them for about $90.

For me, I'm going to keep making things to get my inventory up and then head off to some actual craft markets - although a lot of my stuff is aimed at young people, and I don't know if young people go to craft markets...It's a hard one.  Once I get going selling my stuff I'll report back on here with how it's going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diet Grrl
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004 12:39:07 AM »

I went to Camberwell Market last weekend, not with my own stall, though. I was warned to avoid the Camberwell Market because people excpect very low prices there. Anyway, I made quite a few nice purchases...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather me hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not" - Kurt Cobain
rachel1980
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004 12:19:14 AM »

check out craftmarkets.com.au
i think they have a list there
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Millie
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004 02:59:04 AM »

Check out the Hawthorn craft market, it's at the hawthorn town hall on saturdays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alana
tiger spotter extraordinaire

i believe in joni mitchelll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004 10:40:42 AM »

wasn't there an idea going around (kylie??? claire???) about starting a punk rawk craft market? or am i just dreaming things again? either way, it would be awesome to have one in melbourne.

my cat is so tiny!

a x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlMadchen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004 03:04:11 AM »

I've found the St Kilda market and the Night Market in the Vic Markets to be the best for crafts. The Night Market is run by Gaslight and goes from late November to February... of course, there's the Southbank markets too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten.com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
SarahSarah
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004 02:20:40 PM »

If you check out http://www.marketsandfairs.com.au - they pretty much have every market in Australia listed! I can't believe there were so many more markets in Melbourne than I thought, and I'm addicted to markets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeadandGem.com.au
it's all about beads, beads, beads!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 4/8
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...