A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *knit* converse shoes (pattern added)  (Read 109013 times)
Tags for this thread: shoes , converse , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlueAndRedCows
« on: September 12, 2006 05:34:32 PM »

I knit a pair of converse shoes. I'd had this idea for aaages, but just recently conned someone into giving me an old pair. I cut off all the fabric, save for about a 1/4 inch along all the edges, and knit pieces to sew in place. They didn't take a very long time to make- the hardest part was sewing everything together. Ugh! I think the effort was worth it, and they're actually really strong. I played a game of baseball in them the other day, and they've held up just fine!! Here are some pictures:

I cut the all-star patches off the original shoes and sewed them back on. I love how they turned out!

The front of the shoes

My dog really likes them, too!!

Thanks for looking!

Okay, here's the pattern. It'll make a ladies size 8.

gauge: 2"= 7 sts (unstretched)
needles: US 6
yarn: any worsted weight yarn, double stranded

to make these shoes, you knit three separate pieces, and then sew them onto the shoe.

first piece (make two, one for each shoe..)
cast on 28 sts
1) K
2) P
3) K12, YO, K2tog, K1, YO, K2tog,K
4) P2tog, P
5) K23, YO, K2tog, K2tog
6) P
7) K20, YO, K2tog, K2, K2tog
Cool P
9) K17, YO, K2tog, K2, cast off 4 (this is the end of the row, so cut the yarn and rejoin it to purl back across the next row.)
10) P
11) K15, YO, K2tog, cast off 4 (same process as row 9)
12)  P
13) K
14) P
15) K13, YO, K2tog, K2
16) P2tog
17) K14, K2tog
18) P
19) K11, YO, K2tog, K2
20) P2tog, P
21) K
22)P
cast off all sts.

2nd piece (make two, too). this is pretty much just the mirror image of the first piece.
1) K
2) P
3) K
4) P to last two sts, P2tog
5) K2tog, K2tog, YO, K
6) P
7) K2tog, K2, K2tog, YO, K
Cool P
9) cast off 4, K2, K2tog, YO, K
10) P
11) cast off 4, K2tog, YO, K
12) P
13) K
14) P
15) K2, K2tog, YO, K
16) P to last 2 sts, P2tog
17) K2tog, K
18) P
19) K2, K2tog, YO, K
20) P to last two sts, P2tog
21) K
22) P
cast off all sts.

Tongue piece (make two)
Cast on 9 sts
K 5 rows in stockingette
Row 6) increase one st on each side of the tongue (11 sts).
K approx 23 rows in stockingette. I made a one st garter border along the edges to stop it from curling. it still curled a bit, but you can't tell when you're actually wearing the shoes.

Now, the assembly!!!!
take your converse, and look at the back of it. there's a thicker fabric strip that goes right up the back of the shoe. this is going to stay on- don't cut it off!! it'll help keep the construction of the shoe  strong. Here's a picture of it-

so except for that piece, cut off every other bit of fabric, leaving approximately a quater inch border of fabric left to the shoe. This is what you'll sew the knitted pieces to.

The side pieces will seem too small for the shoe, but they'll stretch- I didnt' want them to be too baggy.

When I sewed everything together, I used regular thread, but I double stranded it for strength. I would also strongly reccomend a thimble, because some parts of the shoe (in the heel and near the toe) are thicker and you'll want to protect your fingers as you have to push the needle in with a lot of force.

Next, cut the patches off the shoe, punch holes ( I used a needle) in the patch around the edges. You'll want to punch the holes before you sew them on, otherwise they're hard to sew on. Then attach them to the sides of the shoes, relace them, and you're good to go!

I was thinking about sizing, and I'm pretty sure it'd be really easy. One of my friends wants me to make him a pair of these, and so I measured his shoes (a size 9 ladies) and they're a half inch longer than the size 8s. When I make them, I'm going to cast on 2 more stitches, and do the shaping the exact same way, since all the shaping is done on one side, and the other side (which gets sewn to the heel) is completely straight. So theoretically, if each size up adds a half inch in length, you should be able to calculate how many sts to add.

Whoo! That's a lot of typing. I hope everything makes sense- if not, I'll do my best to answer questions!  If you make a pair, post them here, I'd love to see them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010 03:55:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Added pattern to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stefferoni
cinderelly cinderelly

mini me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006 05:39:02 PM »

i love them!!! and want a pair in orange & green. job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will do personal swaps, please.  i have tons of fabrics..you have?? wanna trade?

www.mangojellie.etsy.com

"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."
katokotin
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006 05:49:15 PM »

Wow...that is amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Caitlin. I like old clothes, long hair, punk music, lemonade, books, photography, thunder storms, polka dots, friendship bracelets and you.
xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006 05:52:12 PM »

What great shoes!

Did you poke holes in your 1/4 inch and pu the stitches? I'm guessing that's how it goes. Did you just do one lay of knitting, or double knit for strength? Or, now that I'm looking at them, you must've doubled the yarn you used. What's the yarn you chose?

I want to try to make myself some pirate boots, providing I find suitable shoes, and should really start doing some research for them.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006 05:54:34 PM »

those are amazing. very creative!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olivian
i<3 love

nothing is real... nothing to get hung about

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006 06:01:38 PM »

i am amazed. this is really cool! do you have a pattern by any chance? what size shoes do you wear?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueAndRedCows
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006 06:28:07 PM »

What great shoes!

Did you poke holes in your 1/4 inch and pu the stitches? I'm guessing that's how it goes. Did you just do one lay of knitting, or double knit for strength? Or, now that I'm looking at them, you must've doubled the yarn you used. What's the yarn you chose?

I actually knit the pieces first, then sewed them onto the 1/4 inch after- with liberal use of a thimble, and double stranded thread.  I used random stash acrylic, doublestranded with US 8 or 9 needles. I want to see your pirate boots when you make them!!

i am amazed. this is really cool! do you have a pattern by any chance? what size shoes do you wear?

These were a men's 6, women's 8. I took notes as I went along, and  I could post them if people are interested. Would that size work for you?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
domUNIQUE
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006 06:41:45 PM »

very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out what's on my needles at www.beingdomUnique.wordpress.com

And what's off of them at www.designedbydomUnique.etsy.com
kelliz
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006 06:45:45 PM »

Awesome!  I love them, you've got some talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006 06:46:50 PM »

ooh! I love them! You just gave me inspiration for an old pair that I unsuccessfully hacked into flats. Gosh can you give me some details on how you shaped them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Dynamic History of Stencil Art
How to Draw an Ant
How to Draw Bigbird from Sesame Street
How to Draw Michael Jackson
How to Draw the Nightcrawler from the X Men
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...