A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,594
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cerise lace 3/4 sweater  (Read 5644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mooshe
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006 09:29:53 PM »

This really is beautiful and looks wonderful on !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soobeeoz
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006 12:12:10 AM »

That's a great looking sweater, and it fits you so well.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please feel free to check out my Dating and Tiffany Ring blogs.  A few more are listed on my profile page.  Smiley

http://www.safedatings.com

http://www.cheapweddingringssets.com
Me-Shell
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006 04:34:09 AM »

this is really beatiful.
you did a great job!

and i love that color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's some bad hat, Harry."

you're goddamn right i made a blog. -  http://knit-me-shell-knit.blogspot.com/
svea
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006 02:24:32 PM »

How did you do the neckline?  It is so wonderful!

the neckline was finished at the very end.
to begin with, i did a partial cast on, and knit back and forth for about an inch (while doing the raglan increases) before casting on another 6 stiches or so and joining to knit in the round. at the end i tried a whole variety of different finishings for it (i was originally just going to crochet around the edge, like i did on the sleeves) but it just wouldnt work. so i then picked up stiches from the front (6 stiches cast on area) and knit back and forth, decreasing at the decrease lines, and increasing at the outside corners i was creating, so the edging wouldnt curl. then i sewed the edges down into the little 6 stich cast on area so they would overlap, eh voila (i probably did a terrible job of explaining it though)

Gorgeous!!  I saw the pic and immediately went and spent a half hour knitting!  Yer an inspiration!
what a compliment if ever i heard one! thanks Cheesy

That is freakin' gorgeous! Will there be a pattern? I would love to knit that! It looks great on you, too, and what a wonderful color!
a pattern? i wasn't intending to do one, but would be happy to talk you through the steps i did to achieve this. there was a whole lot of maths to figure out the measurements and number of stiches required. also i chose a lace pattern i liked - this could be substituted for any favourite lace pattern of yours.

the link i gave above to top down raglan construction gave me some trouble yesterday - i will try to verify the link (hope it's not down permanently!) - this was a great help to me in constructing this sweater which was my first ever raglan, and first ever top down raglan at that! Smiley

if the problems with that link persist - try the HSLS link - it does a good job of explaining the 'bones' of my own sweater.

thank you for all your comments!

edit: the top down raglan construction link works fine today Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006 02:32:20 PM by svea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006 04:11:40 PM »

I would love any tips on trying this sweater. You did a fantastic job on this design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
Phisch
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006 04:44:15 PM »

It's so pretty and the color is really gorgeous. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ye ol' blog: http://www.inthatnumber.com
Also found lurking at: http://phisch.vox.com
Xiuxiu
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006 06:42:04 PM »

Beautiful!
I love the neckline....and the color...
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princess76
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006 06:53:18 PM »

Wow.  You should submit your pattern for publishing.  It is gorgeous.  I'd like to make one for myself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
svea
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006 12:24:52 PM »

ok, steps for making this sweater:

1. read the tutorial on top down raglan sweaters and takes notes of the percentages required.
2. do a swatch in the intended yarn and count stitches and rows
3. take measurements: round your arm, round your chest, round the belly, length of shoulder to under boob, width across shoulders, from neck to armpit
4. check your notes again, get out the calculator and figure out how many stiches to CO, how many to increase, and how to work the increases. also work out (based on your lace pattern and your belly circumference) how many stitches you want for the body, so the lace pattern repeat works and the size is right. you might need to decrease stitches at the transition.

generally speaking, you should be looking to do raglan increases on every second round. you can stretch this a bit as you get closer to the armpit - you might need more length but already have enough/almost enough stiches for your chest size. simply knit straight or change the increase regime to every 4th round or so.

for the increases, i wanted a holey raglan increase, to go with the feel of the lace sweater, so my raglan increase would read knit to last but one stitch before marker, *yo, knit last stich before marker, slip marker, knit first stitch after marker, yo*

the marker was thus in between the two straight stitches, symmetrical about the marker. this went for all four increases per round. on the following round, you knit all stitches. don't knit the yo's twisted - they will turn into a lacey hole if knitted straight as they come.

for the neckline, as previously described, i simply CO the number of stitches minus an inch's worth of stitches at the front, knitted for about an inch whilst doing raglan increases, the CO the remaining stitches and joining to knit in the round.

knit until you have enough to meet under your armpits.

divide the work (put the sleeve stitches onto waste yarn), join the body stitches and continue working in the round. i kept trying on the work to ensure a good fit throughout.
once you have gone past the boob, determine whether you need to decrease your stitches for the body - this would be advisable if you have a large chest and a tiny waist. i am pretty flat-ish so didn't decrease, as the lace pattern i chose forms lose ribbing and hence tightens the body tube slightly anyways.

i used an edging - one round of *k2tog, yo* followed by a plain knit round - this gives a holey edge just before your lace pattern starts. if you needed to decrease, you could replace the *k2tog* with a *sl1, k2tog, pull slipped stitch over* - this will effectively decrease your number of stitches by one every time you do this (when combined with the yo). if you have 80 stitches before, and needed to decrease 8 stitches, you would do this every 5th repeat, i.e. so *k2tog, yo* four times, then do *sl1, k2tog, ssl, yo* once.

after the holey transition rows, i then started in lace pattern. follow the pattern - i find this quite easy but some people have trouble with lace, so i would recommend inserting life lines after every full repeat just in case. www.knittinghelp.com has tutorials on how to do lifelines.

i then knit until the body was the length i wanted, again frequently trying the sweater on.
bind off (or do an edging of your choice, then bind off)

pick up sleeve stitches and work in the round, plain knit, until you have knitted the same distance from armpit to transition row as on the body. do the transition row, switch to lace (again having checked that your stitch number will work with the lace pattern!!). knit lace pattern until you like the length.

bind off, but dont cut the yarn. use a crochet hook to crochet one round around the sleeve, in the following manner: crochet one single stitch, make two loops, insert crochet hook into the next but one stitch (skipping one stitch basically) and make a simple crochet stitch. you are basically making little arches all around the sleeve.

if you want a different type of finish, go for it. you could do a couple of rounds of a knitted ribbed pattern instead.

at the end, pick up stitches around the neckline, starting and finishing at the gap in the front, knit a rib pattern, decrease for the raglan lines, but increase with *yo, knit, yo* on the external corners of the gap that you are knitting out off, knit stitches as they appear on the return row. this is not knitted in the round, but open. knit about an inch or so, bind off, and sew the two short edges into the gap so they overlap.

done Smiley

hope the above is clear. don't hesitate to jump in after reading the tutorial i linked to in the first post - it's actually not scary designing your own sweater! just a little bit of measuring, counting and calculating to do - but all easy enough!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006 12:37:53 PM by svea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006 02:42:05 PM »

Thanks so much for this! I am going to find the perfect yarn and add this to my must-knit list!! :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Egg McMuffin Recipe
Country Fried Potatoes with Onions Recipe
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Breakfast Pizza with Hash Brown Crust Recipe
Cincinnati Chili Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...