A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini zipper  (Read 680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyncontemporary
handbags, Felt, knitt, crochet, metal,

www.kutz.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2006 01:22:46 PM »

Hi everyone, I working in a new project doing coin purses, do you know where can I get those mini zippers? on metal if it's possible?
Thank you

Cyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006 01:59:14 PM »

Cyn, I just use regular zippers--usually from sale bins and as gifts from no-longer-crafty friends. I just pin them in place, sew, zip them up, and then cut them off where they need to be. If I'm cutting it off BEFORE I sew it in (like cutting a 9" off to 7" to fit a pair of my daughter's pants), I take waxed double thread and sew it in a loop over the teeth, over and over in the same spot, to make a "stop" for the zipper. Then I cut it off about an inch below the stitching.

I'll be interested in knowing what others say, though. It would be cool if there was a source for 3"-4" zippers cheaper than I can find them. (I read on here somewhere that someone visits discount stores and buys things with zippers in them for about $.50, then cuts them out and reuses them!)

good luck!
m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Rubywoo
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006 06:00:01 PM »

I live in San Diego, CA where we have swap meets everywhere. I especially like to go to the one located in National City (15 min away) where they have an entire section of the lot devoted to fabric and notions vendors. I buy zippers in that approximate length for 10 cents each! Talk about a bargain, and the fabrics are not bad either, I never pay more than $3 a yard for fabrics. I had a hard time finding where to shop for fabrics here in San Diego that was not a chain store but I finally found it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006 04:50:13 AM »

I'm calculating how much a trip to a swap meet in San Diego would add to the prices!  Grin

Hooray for you! We have FLEA MARKETS here and nothing so wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
cyncontemporary
handbags, Felt, knitt, crochet, metal,

www.kutz.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006 09:58:18 AM »

Hey I use to live in San Diego now I'm in Italy but my family live in Chula Vista, maybe when I go I can visit that place to get nice fabrics and some supplies for my creations.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sharonan
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006 11:12:35 AM »

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada where we don't seem to get the same bargains that you do in USA.  I find zippers at a leather supply store.  The short ones are 25 cents and if I pay him cash I get them without tax.  The long metal ones - separating to make them easier to insert - are about $1.25.  You could also try talking to upholsterers - they might be willing to sell zippers that they buy in bulk. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noisy_penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006 05:10:02 PM »

I live in San Diego, CA where we have swap meets everywhere. I especially like to go to the one located in National City (15 min away) where they have an entire section of the lot devoted to fabric and notions vendors. I buy zippers in that approximate length for 10 cents each! Talk about a bargain, and the fabrics are not bad either, I never pay more than $3 a yard for fabrics. I had a hard time finding where to shop for fabrics here in San Diego that was not a chain store but I finally found it.

Hey Ruby! Can you tell me more about the National City swap meet? I live in Hillcrest and would love to find out more - where and when, specifically. Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Importance of Creative Collaboration
How to Write Scripts in Hollywood
The State of American Screenwriting
How Film Contributed to the American Identity
The Globalization of Hollywood
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Quick Summer Dress
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...