A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini zipper  (Read 736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyncontemporary
handbags, Felt, knitt, crochet, metal,

www.kutz.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2006 01:22:46 PM »

Hi everyone, I working in a new project doing coin purses, do you know where can I get those mini zippers? on metal if it's possible?
Thank you

Cyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006 01:59:14 PM »

Cyn, I just use regular zippers--usually from sale bins and as gifts from no-longer-crafty friends. I just pin them in place, sew, zip them up, and then cut them off where they need to be. If I'm cutting it off BEFORE I sew it in (like cutting a 9" off to 7" to fit a pair of my daughter's pants), I take waxed double thread and sew it in a loop over the teeth, over and over in the same spot, to make a "stop" for the zipper. Then I cut it off about an inch below the stitching.

I'll be interested in knowing what others say, though. It would be cool if there was a source for 3"-4" zippers cheaper than I can find them. (I read on here somewhere that someone visits discount stores and buys things with zippers in them for about $.50, then cuts them out and reuses them!)

good luck!
m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Rubywoo
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006 06:00:01 PM »

I live in San Diego, CA where we have swap meets everywhere. I especially like to go to the one located in National City (15 min away) where they have an entire section of the lot devoted to fabric and notions vendors. I buy zippers in that approximate length for 10 cents each! Talk about a bargain, and the fabrics are not bad either, I never pay more than $3 a yard for fabrics. I had a hard time finding where to shop for fabrics here in San Diego that was not a chain store but I finally found it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006 04:50:13 AM »

I'm calculating how much a trip to a swap meet in San Diego would add to the prices!  Grin

Hooray for you! We have FLEA MARKETS here and nothing so wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
cyncontemporary
handbags, Felt, knitt, crochet, metal,

www.kutz.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006 09:58:18 AM »

Hey I use to live in San Diego now I'm in Italy but my family live in Chula Vista, maybe when I go I can visit that place to get nice fabrics and some supplies for my creations.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sharonan
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006 11:12:35 AM »

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada where we don't seem to get the same bargains that you do in USA.  I find zippers at a leather supply store.  The short ones are 25 cents and if I pay him cash I get them without tax.  The long metal ones - separating to make them easier to insert - are about $1.25.  You could also try talking to upholsterers - they might be willing to sell zippers that they buy in bulk. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noisy_penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006 05:10:02 PM »

I live in San Diego, CA where we have swap meets everywhere. I especially like to go to the one located in National City (15 min away) where they have an entire section of the lot devoted to fabric and notions vendors. I buy zippers in that approximate length for 10 cents each! Talk about a bargain, and the fabrics are not bad either, I never pay more than $3 a yard for fabrics. I had a hard time finding where to shop for fabrics here in San Diego that was not a chain store but I finally found it.

Hey Ruby! Can you tell me more about the National City swap meet? I live in Hillcrest and would love to find out more - where and when, specifically. Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Test File
Speed Round with Glenda Bailey
Citrus Painting Craft for Kids
Walking and Talking With a Knife
How One Man Turned a Degree in Computer Science Into More Than a Desk Job
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...