A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
305 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how can i make a large book?  (Read 5346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weet!
« on: September 12, 2006 02:43:42 AM »

well i had this great idea(i thought) to make a big book that i can keep all the printed out tutorials and ideas i have from craftster in so i can keep track of them all and make notes on modifying them if need be.

so Ive been reading a lot of tutorials on craftster on how to bind books, but by following those the biggest it could end up being is a half sheet of paper and i really was envisioning something quite larger.

sooo does anyone know how i can go about doing this? is it possible to bind whole sheets instead of half(with the pages still being able to lay down flat)? any suggestions on book binding in general are also appreciated since this will be the first one i make....

thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rowdygirl
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006 12:04:55 PM »

There are several options. You could get tabloid sized paper, which is 11x17 so your book block would be 8.5x11. Or you could go to a print shop and ask if you can buy some parent sized paper which is giant, somewhere around 25x38. I get my parent paper from my campus's print shop. they have a stack of leftovers, like the last 1/2 of their reams that's just going to get trashed sitting on their shelves waiting to be used. however, i don't know if all colleges have this kind of thing. i think my campus might have it because my graphics teacher is buddy-buddy with the print shop head honcho and the graphics teacher has a book making class, so she might have talked him into selling us paper on the cheap.

hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006 12:10:19 PM »

another option includes going to a local newspaper and asking if they sell/give away endrolls.  i just picked one up with literally 100+ feet of blank newspaper to play with.  i'm going to use mine for all sorts of stuff (scratch pads, sewing patterns, wrapping papers, personal recipe collections, etc).  here's a link if you're not sure what an endroll is:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-newsprint.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starsview
Queen of Procrastination

I've been meaning to make myself a crown...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006 12:40:20 PM »

If you want to bind your book using single sheets and not folios I would reccommend making a post bound book. This kind of book is similar to some scrap books and photo albums that you find in Joann's, Michaels and most any scrapbooking store. You can either buy your cover pre-made from one of those stores or sometimes they have (and I know my local Art Supply (not a craft store) Store has them) kits to make your own book with the screw posts and everything.

I would say this kind of book is your best bet bc you don't have to worry about laying out the tutorials so you flip thru them in your chosen order and you can take the book apart at anytime to replace pages that get messed up, to add new pages or to fix pages or tutorials that may have a mistake or a process the you were able to improve upon. This kind of binding is as binder-like as possible without all the icky rings and fear of catching your finger in them.  Grin

The posts are usually available wherever book binding supplies are sold, but you can order them (as well as any other book binding supplies) at www.hollanders.com. They also have extensions you can buy if and when your book grows so you can keep everything neatly bound and not have random bits of paper sticking out of your sewn book.

Something you'll want to keep in mind when designing your book is that there will need to be a 1"-2" flat space that you will not see when you open your book, so make sure not to let any directions get in this area. Also you may want to include an "envelope" either on its own page or on the back cover to keep any pattern pieces from the tutorials you choose.

I just made my first post bound a few months ago, it was really easy, but looks very classy. You can see it here if you want. Its the black book in the last picture entitle "Missionary Life."

Post pictures when you're done!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats Mrs. McGonigal to you! No really! ✩10.25.09

wistsportfoliosketchbook
weet!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006 03:04:23 PM »

well thanks for the ideas guys!
i actually thought about getting 11x17 paper but when i went to the store they only had like 20lb boxes of it and i didnt need THAT much...
the screw post thing sounds like the best idea to me though! i was not looking forward to stitching through a large amount of signatures. i will defintely post pics when im done, although it might take awhile since im getting back surgery next week  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadeawaydream
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006 01:59:36 PM »

I have the same problem... I'm looking to buy 11x17 paper, but I just don't know where to go. Any store/website recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weet!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006 09:46:20 PM »

I have the same problem... I'm looking to buy 11x17 paper, but I just don't know where to go. Any store/website recommendations?

they have 11x17 in all different colors at paperzone but the only problem was you had to get a whole $20 REAM and i certainly wasnt going to use that much paper..

i just went to micheals recently and just decided on getting large white construction paper (i dunno the dimensions but i think its alittle bigger than  11x17)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadeawaydream
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006 10:23:29 AM »

I resorted to Office Max's regular ol' 11x17 recycled paper. I don't know what I'll do when I need colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmpixie
I need my hat, but not for my head...

Four's Treble

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008 09:15:46 PM »

The best way to do it is to start with larger paper... OR to spiral bind it, but thats definately not as nice. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
BLOG

Couture
Bag with a plan
Wearables
Wall-E
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 1/13
How to Connect Crocheted Yoyos
How To Change Colors in Tire Tread Pattern Crochet
How to Choose Yarn Colors for Rainbow Crochet
How to Attach Crocheted Yoyos with a Hexagonal Braided Join
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...