A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,976
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday gifts for a brother and mother-in-law to be  (Read 643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sinisterbutterfli
« on: September 11, 2006 09:49:52 PM »

Two specific people to gift, and no clue what to do. I just know I'm low in the fundage department  Huh

First, my younger brother's birthday is this Friday. I already plan to bake him a cake, but what else should I do? It's his 18th, and since I can't find anyone to put on a monkey suit and do a striptease I guess I have to think of something different.

He's in his first semester at the local university, lives in a dorm, loves video games and general geek stuff. Dislikes sports but likes to root for the school teams (cuz he's patriotic one day).

It was easier when he was 6 and I could just buy him legos...

Next is the kicker - my future mother in law. This is a late birthday gift, since my sweetie and I weren't able to visit her on her actual birthday because of our work schedules. This woman is hard for me to gift, because sweetie isn't really great with giving me information about what she'd like. For someone who's been her son for almost 22 years he's painfully clueless.

I know she likes teddy bears, Jane Austen, and Sex in the City. She's also painfully normal (really, it does hurt). I could just go buy one of those cheapie bath gift sets, but it's so impersonal and it looks like I don't care (I'd like to stay on her good side).

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006 11:10:02 PM »

If she likes Jane Austen, why not do a spin on the bath set. Make it yourself, and add some extra little bits. Like a small bunch of dried lavender (if you have seen the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice, you'll remember that the girls were drying bundles of different herbs and flowers in the kitchen). You can make a small eye pillow, filled with flax seed (or rice) and some lavender. If you embroider it a little, even better.
Hope that helps, for ideas for her.

As for your brother. Hmm...How are your stenciling skills? You could make some geeky shirts for him, with a spin on the whole rooting for his teams thing and also his love of gaming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
gloing
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006 03:02:29 AM »

what crafts are you good at?
you could make her a teddy bear (there are cheap sets and they are not that difficult) and if you knew how to, you could make a "austen-like-outfit" for it.
something like this

i like the stenciled t-shirt idea for your brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeanniepep
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006 06:00:32 AM »

Love the eye pillow idea!  If you could embroider "Mom" onto it, it would add a super-sentimental touch!!  I bet she'd cry.

As for your brother, when mine was in college, he really dug it when I would come up and visit him.  You could take him out for burgers, buy him a CD or game at the local used record store, and even buy beer for him and his roomies if you're inclined to that sort of thing.  That just tickled the living hell out of my bro, who's 6 yrs younger than me.  We always got along great, so hanging out together is a treat.

Bonus, after 3 yrs of visiting him I kind of fell in love with and married his roommate!  Of course, since you're already engaged, that won't be the case with you.  Just a funny tangent to my story - that worked out GREAT for me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy a Calligraphy Pen
How to Master the Art of Calligraphy
How to Create a Wing Drawing
How to Draw a Teddy Bear
How to Select Calligraphy Fonts
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...